Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Checksums when ripping cds (Read 2703 times) previous topic - next topic

Checksums when ripping cds

When ripping cds with EAC og Audiograbber, the programs create certain checksums.
I guess these are some sort of hash code from the uncompressed audio track (even though I rip directly to mp3).
What is the purpose of this checksum? Isn't there always a minor difference when ripping a cd because of the software used, drive type, disc quality etc?
Or is there in fact a database around somewhere that enable you to validate the rip?

Reply #1
First of all you may like to take a look at AccurateRip.com. This database lets you do exactly what you suggested. This is an extension to EAC that lets you cross reference your rips with those of others amongst other things.

When I use EAC, I personally use the CRC column in order to compare my test rip CRC with the actual rip CRC. If they match I can be confident I got a secure rip.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #2
Isn't there always a minor difference when ripping a cd because of the software used, drive type, disc quality etc?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=293639"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That "always minor difference" is nonexistent. A perfect rip (in every meaning ) is possible.
I know that I know nothing. But how can I then know that ?