Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Denon mixer question- multiple digital inputs (Read 4783 times) previous topic - next topic

Denon mixer question- multiple digital inputs

Question folks,

This product..
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-DN-X900-PRO-Mi...d/dp/B000C9XMUY

..claims to have 4 digital inputs. I'm wondering, is it possible to have a non-synced multiple SPDIF device, or would it simply be A/D converting, so you're getting a digital connection but analog quality?

Beyond that, assuming the Denon is a fraud (for sake of argument) will only devices like the Roland M-1000, which came with word sync, do this properly?

Reply #1
Non-synched SPDIF devices can be mixed if the inputs contain sample rate converters (SRCs). 

There is not necessarily any fraud.

Reply #2
All the devices I'm using are 44.1 khz, none 48, as well. I'm just wondering whether this will work.

Thanks Arnold. Your posts are always helpful. I'll try it and post if there's anything insightful to be gained.

Reply #3
All the devices I'm using are 44.1 khz, none 48, as well. I'm just wondering whether this will work.

Thanks Arnold. Your posts are always helpful. I'll try it and post if there's anything insightful to be gained.

It may not be well known that you can use most hardware sample rate converters with approximately the same sample rate in and out. In that case, they correct for any clocking issues.

There are off-the-shelf high performance SRC chips that are not excessively costly.

Here's an example of a very high performance chip for the purpose:

http://www.analog.com/en/audiovideo-produc...ts/product.html

They are about $4 in single units, so maybe half that or less in production quantities.

Reply #4
Just for the record, I got the mixer and it appears to not only work digitally, but syncs up to 2 different devices, one 48 and one 44.1, without external controls/syncs. Thanks again to Arny for helping an audio brother out.

Reply #5
Your link to the Amazon page shows 2 Customer Reviews. Quote:
It appears that the mixer is converting the digital signal into analog in the mixer before passing the signal onto the outputs. This is confirmed by Denon according to the DJ forum for the X900 (see the posting on mixer noise). This fact defeats the purpose of having digital inputs, which was the reason I bought this mixer. But as I found out, having digital inputs on this mixer does not mean superior sound quality.
[/size]You might be able to find more information on that DJ forum.

Reply #6
Your link to the Amazon page shows 2 Customer Reviews. Quote:
It appears that the mixer is converting the digital signal into analog in the mixer before passing the signal onto the outputs. This is confirmed by Denon according to the DJ forum for the X900 (see the posting on mixer noise). This fact defeats the purpose of having digital inputs, which was the reason I bought this mixer. But as I found out, having digital inputs on this mixer does not mean superior sound quality.
[/size]You might be able to find more information on that DJ forum.

Since truly digital power amplifiers are currently like hen's teeth, the statement that "...converting the digital signal into analog in the mixer..." is a truism and does not reflect on whether the mix bus is in the analog domain, or a function of a DSP or dedicated digital hardware.

Every truly digital audio mixer I know of that is currently on the market has provision for converting the digital signal into analog in the mixer, even if it also has digital outputs.

Analog done to regular commercial standards is not technically degraded enough to necessarily change sound quality. Therefore "...having digital inputs on this mixer does not mean superior sound quality..." should be no great surprise.

Digital is making great inroads into audio mixing technology because of its "in the box" advantages, not sound quality. This is because even relatively inexpensive analog mixers can be quite clean, technically speaking.  When the "in the box" digital implementation adds useful features like 5 band parametric equalization to each input and output channel, a net sound quality advantage can be obtained in the hands of a skilled operator.