Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Line-in (Read 4779 times) previous topic - next topic

Line-in

I am a newbie trying to record from my MD to HD to CD.  On the hard drive I would like to capture the MD files through line-in into a lossless file format as the intermediate step to copying the files to a CD.  These are live music recordings and I would like to keep them as pristine as possible.  Yes, I know ATRAC is not the world's best recoding format.  I just do not want to degrade it more.

TIA
Nov schmoz kapop.

Line-in

Reply #1
Just record it into WAVE format which is also lossless.
However, you should be aware, that even though the minidisc format is digital and compressed, there will still be additional loss, as recording through line-in includes having the minidisc player outputting an analouge signal to your minijack cable, which goes into your soundcard.
So basicly you're recording goes like that.

LIVE-Performance >
eventual amplification or equalisation >
Digital WAVE-synthesis generated >
ATRAC3 compression performed >
ATRAC3 decompression performed >
Eventual amplification, equalisation or add of 3D effects DSP's or similar >
Analogue signal generated and send through analouge cable >
Another Digital WAVE-synthesis generated >
Eventual amplification, equalisation or add of 3D effect DSP's or similar >
Final WAVE-file ready !

Once you've recorded it, you can always encode to FLAC or Monkeys which will generate no further loss or affection, or encode it to OGG Vorbis, MP3 or MPC which will generate additional loss.

I'm not sure if my processing-explanation is right... it just how I would picture myself if I was live audio going through a minidisc to FLAC-format.

Line-in

Reply #2
One DA and one AD conversion could be avoided when connecting the digital out put of the MD player to a digital input on a soundcard.
Minidisc can be 44.1 or 48kHz sample rate btw.

Line-in

Reply #3
If you have a Fortissimo 2 sound card or similar, you might be able to do this optically, iirc.

Ruairi
rc55.com - nothing going on

Line-in

Reply #4
I am using TotalRecorder to capture the line-in, analog(ue), and it offers PCM at 44.1 kHz, 16 bit stereo.  I am using analog because right now all I have is a laptop.  When I return from Mexico to the US I will get a desktop with a soundcard I can go digital with.

If thereis a slicker way to capture analog(ue) line in to say, Monkey's Audio, cool: let me know what and how.

BTW - I have the system (WXP) set to run 44.1 kHz rather than 48 kHz.  That would be correct, would it not?

TIA!
Nov schmoz kapop.

Line-in

Reply #5
If your MD player has an optical or coaxial (less likely) digital output there are Digital>USB converters for anywhere from $60 +.  You will need an audio editing program to capture the sound as WAV then divide into tracks (if you want to).  It will certainly sound better if you go direct digital.

Bryn4ne

Line-in

Reply #6
OK - line out (optical) through connector to USB.  What product would you recommend for this?  I am flying to the States at Tuesday afternoon.  What do I buy at Fry's?

Thanks folks; you have been agreat help.

L8R
Nov schmoz kapop.

Line-in

Reply #7
"I am using TotalRecorder to capture the line-in"

Are you happy with total recorder to do that ?

I am having problems with audio recording introducing
small glitches from time to time with all teh software tested..
I think that it comes from the MS audio capture driver  ???

Guillaume

Line-in

Reply #8
Re Line-In with TotalRecorder

I am completely pleased with TotalRecorder.  I am using the "Pro" verion whichallows some simple editing.  It will use BLADE, LAME, PCM and any Fraunhofer codec.  I use it to capture RM streaming files I cannot capture any oter way.  It also works well for line-in, your question, and has not yet choked.  I can go as high as 320 kBps at 48 kHz.  It has a downloadable try-out version.  I am not now nor have I ever been associated with HighCriteria (TotalRecorder's parent company) except to buy a copy.

Happy Trails
Nov schmoz kapop.

Line-in

Reply #9
OK - line out (optical) through connector to USB. What product would you recommend for this? I am flying to the States at Tuesday afternoon. What do I buy at Fry's?

I would try a musician's store like Guitar Center or something like it.  I know I have seen all different types from just a simple converter to more full featured with sevral inputs, editing software, an mic inputs.  The most widely known is probably Xitel.  Check there to get a good idea of what you are looking at.

Bryn4ne