Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why is my EAC taking soooo long to Rip an album ? (Read 11098 times) previous topic - next topic

Why is my EAC taking soooo long to Rip an album ?

From what I understand the average time it takes to rip an entire album that is un-scratched (perfect) condition using EAC in secure mode, with test & copy is around 15 minutes or a little longer.

It consistantly is taking me 1 hour or longer and I can't figure out why ??

I have been reading every guide available online, and I can't find my answer.

Here is my setup:

Hardware:

Toshiba Satellite  (Laptop)
Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-820S (DVD/CD Drive)
All my CD's are in perfect condtion (I alway have used the utmost care with them)

EAC Setup:

I initially configured my EAC using the "Essential EAC Guide" quick profile.
I use the external ASPI Interface from VOB (also from the guide)
I rip in secure mode, diable the cache, and disable the C2 reading
I tried ripping with two(Drive Read Commands) Auto Detect & Read command MMC 1
In offset speed tab I allow "speed reduction during extraction" and I have tried a variety of speed selections

When I rip:

I create a cue sheet first (mult wavs with gaps-noncompliant), then I rip wih Test and Copy selected tracks with wavpack compression.

Then it takes one hour or longer per album.

Anybody who could explain why, I would greatly appreciate....

I don't have much more hair to rip out.

Reply #1
Matshita drives are not exactly the best choice for DAE. Still, you should be able to make it work at a more reasonable speed.

First check if DMA is enabled for that drive in Device Manager.

Then I would uninstall that VOB ASAPI and switch to Native Win32 interface... (EAC Options > Interface). Then switch to Burst mode for Drive Options > Extraction method. Now rip all your CDs using Test & Copy Selected Tracks (under Action menu) and watch it fly. As long as the CRCs match (the CRC column should have OK next to the track), the rip is as good as you can get. If they don' t, the column will show # and then you can use Secure Mode - on those tracks only.

If the Native Win32 interface... doesn't work well, get Ahead's ASPI driver and place the WINASPI32.DLL contained within into your EAC directory. Switch to Installed external ASPI on the Interface tab, restart EAC.

Whatever you do, ditch Secure mode - on CDs in good condition it is pointless, especially with a drive like yours. Test & Copy in Burst mode and keep an eye on the CRC column.

Good luck and happy ripping.

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']<edit: typo>[/span]

Reply #2
Eventhough, this isn't my thread, thanks for the info Never_Again.

I've been having similar problems when using test/copy with EAC in Secure Mode and have been getting a little frustrated with the whole process.

When I get home I'll test out some of your tips and see how it goes.

JXL

Reply #3

I've been having similar problems when using test/copy with EAC in Secure Mode and have been getting a little frustrated with the whole process.

JXL

Your problem is that you are ripping in secure mode.  Try EAC in burst mode if you are looking for speed.  By design, EAC secure mode takes a long time because it checks each frame at least twice to make sure that it got the extraction correct.  Burst mode does not do this checking, so it goes much faster.

I am not a real audiophile, but I use burst mode on CD's in good condition, and secure mode on lesser quality CD's.  That seems to work for me.

Reply #4

JXL

Your problem is that you are ripping in secure mode.  Try EAC in burst mode if you are looking for speed.  By design, EAC secure mode takes a long time because it checks each frame at least twice to make sure that it got the extraction correct.  Burst mode does not do this checking, so it goes much faster.

I am not a real audiophile, but I use burst mode on CD's in good condition, and secure mode on lesser quality CD's.  That seems to work for me.

The point of EAC is secure extraction, be it in secure mode or in test and copy burst mode.  Why suggest just to use burst mode?
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #5

JXL

The point of EAC is secure extraction, be it in secure mode or in test and copy burst mode.  Why suggest just to use burst mode?

EAC is designed to produce high quality extracts, but that takes time.  If you don't want to spend the time, then you should either use another ripper or use EAC in burst mode.  However, once you put EAC in burst mode you are giving up many of the special quality features of EAC.  I use EAC in burst mode on CD's in good condiition because I am gambling that there won't be many quality problems on those CD's  in the extact under burst mode. I don't take that gamble on CD's in lesser quality condition. So far, I have not been terribly disappointed in my gambles.

Reply #6
Even if you aren't using EAC in Secure Mode... you should still be able to get a general idea of the rip quality by using AccurateRip. If a track comes back as not accurately ripped or not in the database (at least for popular music) turn on Secure Mode and see if it does any better.

Reply #7
You can use EAC in Burst Mode plus Test and Copy. That will rip a CD in 6-10 minutes (depending on the speed of the drive) and you will get a secure copy, because each track is read twice and scanned for CRC mismatches. If there are none, the track was ripped perfectly.

It doesn't even matter that CDs are not in perfect condition. I have found that switching to Secure Mode on those tracks  that produced mismatching CRCs rarely works.

In such cases, I turn to foobar2000.

Oh, and this method is-- I have said it a dozen times in this forum-- advocated by Andre Whiethoff himself.

So there you go.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #8
The mode you are using (secure mode + drive caches) is badly implemented,
that's why it's slower than it should be. Also the 'actual' speed setting does not
remove speed limits, so you could give a try with Nero DriveSpeed 'max' setting.
Finally, for security based on scientific facts and not just guesses you should stay
away from Test and Copy CRCs and use Accurate Rip or C2 pointers if your
drive supports this feature.

Reply #9
Finally, for security based on scientific facts and not just guesses you should stay away from Test and Copy CRCs and use Accurate Rip or C2 pointers if your drive supports this feature.

Test & Copy doesn't have anything in common with 'guessing' ... it just gives you some extra information.

And AccurateRip (as good as the initial idea of having a CRC database is) is - due to the lack of rare CD's - far from being useable for someone with a musical taste that is off the mainstream. But AccurateRip will surely grow ...
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #10
Test & Copy doesn't have anything in common with 'guessing' ... it just gives you some extra information.

And what kind of extra information do you think it gives about the correctness of the rip ?

Reply #11
And what kind of extra information do you think it gives about the correctness of the rip ?

1. I was referring to buffered burst mode reading

2. I wasn't referring to 'correctness' of the rip since this issue is totally dependant upon the drive itself ... test & copy will tell you whether your drive delivered matching results during two consecutive reads ... no more, no less.

3. Damaged or dirty CD's will (from my personal experience) most likely show CRC mismatches on random errors (not on error patterns that can be found on e.g. CDS200 disc protections) so the extra information you receive is that you must put in some extra work (cleaning, lowering the read speed etc.) to obtain a flawless rip.
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #12
1. I was referring to buffered burst mode reading

2. I wasn't referring to 'correctness' of the rip since this issue is totally dependant upon the drive itself ... test & copy will tell you whether your drive delivered matching results during two consecutive reads ... no more, no less.

Well, I was talking about correctness (without quotes, do you have a problem with this word ?)
so you should first make sure you understand what I'm talking about before trying to refute
what I say.

The post before mine (and the vast majority of EAC users) claim that matching CRCs with
Test and Copy is a proof of a "perfect rip". This belief is based on the assumption that a drive
cannot read two times the same wrong value from a damaged disc, which has never been proven.

Reply #13
It has been disproved many times over the last year or so (where people have ripped in secure and the result did not tally with AccurateRip, but came back as secure, then re-ripped and the result tallied with accuraterip and said was secure, despite a different crc to the first rip).

Reply #14
He was referring to buffered burst mode.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #15
far from being useable for someone with a musical taste that is off the mainstream.

I contributed most of my collection, so I know that's not entirely true.

Reply #16
EAC is designed to produce high quality extracts, but that takes time.
Not much if the drive is good and the CD is not severely damaged.

However, once you put EAC in burst mode you are giving up many of the special quality features of EAC.
None of which matter if you do Test & Copy.

Reply #17
The post before mine (and the vast majority of EAC users) claim that matching CRCs with
Test and Copy is a proof of a "perfect rip". This belief is based on the assumption that a drive
cannot read two times the same wrong value from a damaged disc, which has never been proven.

You cannot prove something negative.

Still, you have a point here. Pio2001 reported a case where CRC matched on an flawed rip, and I witnessed one myself. Admittedly, it probably was not EAC's fault in my case - I was ripping with the cache override disabled on a PX-712. What's the likelyhood of that happening, though? Pio2001 mentioned something on the order of one in a million; I suppose only AndréWiethoff would know exactly (I suspect you are of a different opinion:). Practically, if the CD is not in the AccurateRip DB with confidence of at least 2, Test & Copy appears to be a better choice than relying on a drive's C2 detecttion/reporting, given its dodgy implementation on most drives.

Reply #18
I have also a matshita drive in my laptop.
I don't know any reason, why somebody with working native windows interface should change to vob or aspi.
In fact, all my drives so far, Plextor, Toshiba, NEC, Matshita, worked well with native windows.
Then I don't think, if this matters regarding speed.
The interface issue is more of "drive reads, or cannot read at all, 0 or 1".

If you rip within 1 hour with test & copy secure, you can consider this as a fast rip :-)
I recommend this way in my http://www.high-quality.ch.vu guide. You invest once the time, and then you don't need never ever to rip/access the CD a 2nd time.

And in the long run, you save time against test & copy burst or whatever. If you got  crc mismatches in burst, you need to deal with the tracks again. of course, with scratchy CDs, you might get crc mismatches in secure test & copy also, but this is less probable, so less troubles.
because secure test & copy uses EACs "repair" function, rereading, burst not.
And even , if you got crc mismatch in secure test & copy, EAC tells you, if there is a serious problem, suspicious position, or not. So, then you can rerip this track in another drive eg., which deals better with scratches. Or you could listen to the suspicious position, as EAC tells you the exact time. Though, this is very rare on good (unscratched) CDs.

The Matshita drive might work reliable with "drive does not cashe".
IIRC, EAC test function gave me 2 opposite results on this drive. Testing cashe at high read speeds (no cd speed limiter) EAC told: "drive cashes not", but testing again on limited drive read speed (ca. 6-12x or something), EAC told "drive cashes".
well, even ripping the fast way (assuming, drive does not cashe, so that the cashe does not needed to be flushed), was secure so far here. No clicks or pops, when eac reported good rip. And at scratched CDs, EAC reslted to suspicious positions, or crc mismatches. Exact the way, eac should work.

So, I suggest you, to toggle/change your eac drive cashe setting. This will give you some more speed.

Another suggestion:
Enable c2 for error detection, if EAC reports during test, that your drive can use c2.
Another speed boost.

As long you use test & copy secure with these speedier options, you will be warned about serious flaws by EAC .

Hope, this helps,
user.

Reply #19
You cannot prove something negative.

Maybe you cannot, but I can prove that PI is NOT rational. Or, for that
matter, that 3 errors in a single C1 frame CANNOT go undetected.

What's the likelyhood of that happening, though? Pio2001 mentioned something on the order of one in a million; I suppose only AndréWiethoff would know exactly (I suspect you are of a different opinion:).

I've long given up on trying to convince EAC sect members that dozens
of engineers knew more about optical storage than a single student.
My company (and surely others too) have spent lots of efforts trying
to evaluate the impact of various types of defects on their CD playback
systems, including how repeatable generated errors are, but your guy
must know better. For those you can still think by themselves, I suggest
to think about what a black dot type of defect causes to a CD playback
system. Just out of curiosity, do you know how many wrong bytes in a
track it takes to get the same CRC as an original track ?
Practically, if the CD is not in the AccurateRip DB with confidence of at least 2, Test & Copy appears to be a better choice than relying on a drive's C2 detecttion/reporting, given its dodgy implementation on most drives.

How do you know that "most drives" have dodgy C2 implementations ? Oh yeah,
because the same guy who told you that T&C was great told you so. Or maybe
because you used his (previously) broken C2 quality tool ? Good, very good.

Reply #20
I've long given up on trying to convince EAC sect members that dozens
of engineers knew more about optical storage than a single student.
My company (and surely others too) have spent lots of efforts trying
to evaluate the impact of various types of defects on their system to
improve our drives' behaviour, but I don't think it matters to zealots.

What is your company? Do you offer a CD ripper?

Reply #21
spath, if you know better, why not enlighten the ignorant?

Reply #22
Oi! I have a suggestion!

If you have extraction and compression PRIORITY set to HIGH it seems to run SLOWER! Try changing it to IDLE.

I don't know why but I had my prefrences set to high and went through my entire cd collection taking about 45 minutes per CD to rip. I had a nice new Sony combo drive and I had no idea why it was taking so long. Even brand new out of the package CD's were taking 1/2 hour+ to rip. Now it is much much much faster. Doesn't make sense to me, but who knows, maybe it will work for you!

Reply #23
>do you know how many wrong bytes in a
>track it takes to get the same CRC as an original track ?

and how many users are ripping right this second, with how many cds? when you are in the hundreds of millions of CDs being ripped there will be many occurances of wrongly reported CRCs.

Reply #24
spath, if you know better, why not enlighten the ignorant?

Giving a detailed technical explanation on a message board is a waste
of time : not only the information gets little exposure but also any newbie
can pass by and start arguing on things he has no clue about. If one day
I ever want to explain this, I'll write an article on cdfreaks ; in the meanwhile,
you can think about the two points I mentioned.