Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What are the best drive to be in the EAC Spirit (secure mode (Read 4885 times) previous topic - next topic

What are the best drive to be in the EAC Spirit (secure mode

speed of light ripping without any error even when the cd is scratched, that's our common dream  but it's hard to choose because the more expensive drive is sometimes a real piece of shit to EAC. (my Yamaha crw-2200 is beaten by my old noname cheap drive)

So what the drives which make you satisfied with EAC?

Reply #1
Toshiba SD-M1612.

I had another DVD-ROM drive before, a NEC DV-5800A, but the Toshiba is faster in general (and in particular when it comes to EAC's error recovery). I personally wouldn't buy a pure CD-ROM drive anymore. All CD drives i had before were slower at DAE.

Reply #2
Originally posted by anubis
So what the drives which make you satisfied with EAC?

Plextor PX-32TS and Plextor PX-R412C (both SCSI)

Not up do date anymore, but i'm smiling every day when i turn on my computer  and focussing these drives.
Did a great job up to now for me for a long time (3 and a half years?). Still working without any flaws and pretty fast (PX-32TS with 14x to 20x in secure mode EAC), anything else is already replaced in my PC. Guess don't have to mention that Audio extraction is superb with them (even with scratched CDs). To be honest i haven't tried any others.
You might be able to find them for a reasonable price at eBay!
Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one! (Benjamin Franklin)

Reply #3
Originally posted by quellcore

Plextor PX-32TS and Plextor PX-R412C (both SCSI)

Not up do date anymore, but i'm smiling every day when i turn on my computer   and focussing these drives. 
Did a great job up to now for me for a long time (3 and a half years?). Still working without any flaws and pretty fast (PX-32TS with 14x to 20x in secure mode EAC), anything else is already replaced in my PC. Guess don't have to mention that Audio extraction is superb with them (even with scratched CDs). To be honest i haven't tried any others. 
You might be able to find them for a reasonable price at eBay!

I've got the PX-40TS (UltraPlex 40Max) and same PX-R412C (both SCSI), but I recently upgraded to the Plextor PX-W2410TA CD-RW.  I miss my old SCSI set up dearly because my 2410 struggles with certain CDs and it caches audio.  I would love to switch back to my old 40max (kicks total butt in DAE) and 4x writer, but I read on Plextor's website that these old drives don't support DAE in Windows XP.  quellcore, what operating system are you using?  Have you been able to get your 32Max to do DAE in Windows XP?

Daffy

Reply #4
Originally posted by Daffy
Quellcore, what operating system are you using?  Have you been able to get your 32Max to do DAE in Windows XP?
Daffy

I'm using WinXP and audio extraction works as i mentioned in my first post in this thread! The Plextor PX-32TS is still the drive that i use for that usually. But i can't use ASPI interface, System starts to 'stutter' frequently then.
Just using the native Win32 interface that comes with WinXP and everything is fine!
Hope that it's okay, would go mad if i had to realize that all music data i extracted with this drive under WinXP is full of pops, clicks and glitches. But haven't realized something unusual up to now.
I wish you would have never mentioned the issues with older Plextor drives and WinXP, i'm getting nervous about it!
Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one! (Benjamin Franklin)

Reply #5
quellcore, from Plextor's website faq:

Why can’t the UltraPleX32Max or UltraPleX40Max CD-ROM drives support Digital Audio Extraction (DAE) in Windows XP?

Windows XP only supports DAE on MMC-compliant drives. Many older CD-ROM drives, including those listed above, are not MMC-compliant and, therefore, do not provide DAE properties under XP.

When I saw this, I decided not to use my 40max in Windows XP.  However, like I said I miss it because it did DAE a lot better than my current PlexWriter 24/10/40A.  I suppose I try it out some weekend when I've got more time to kill.

Daffy

Reply #6
Originally posted by Daffy
When I saw this, I decided not to use my 40max in Windows XP.  However, like I said I miss it because it did DAE a lot better than my current PlexWriter 24/10/40A.  I suppose I try it out some weekend when I've got more time to kill.

You can use your 40max in XP, just not with XP software like WMP. EAC allows you to select extraction method, you're not limited to MMC mode.

Reply #7
hi
i ripped this week 4 scratched cds with a LG cdrw dvdcombo (12x at writing) i don't remember the exact serial (sorry), in one of the cd's , so scratched i could see through it. big surprise : perfect no clicks

i tried with
lite on cd526
yamaha crw3200e
my old sony crx 120e
only slow and clicks and pops

i can't explain why but ths drive is wonderful,

Reply #8
The Plextor SCSI 32X and 40X are still the kings of DAE.

A good cheap ATAPI drive is the Teac CD-540, you buy them brand new for 10-15 dollars on Ebay (search for Teac 40X).  It is a quality drive, and one of the fastest around.  (Need to upgrade firmware to 3.0a and use Teac speed setting utility)

chris

Reply #9
Daffy: When I saw this, I decided not to use my 40max in Windows XP. However, like I said I miss it because it did DAE a lot better than my current PlexWriter 24/10/40A. I suppose I try it out some weekend when I've got more time to kill.

I have the PX-40TS and PX-32TS too and both drives do support digital audio extraction in Windows XP. When you try to enable the feature Windows XP will tell you that it's not guaranteed to work with the drive, but it just works...

Anyway, what drives for EAC?

- Plextor PX-32TS
- Plextor PX-40TS

Both aging drives, but still able to kick most other drives' asses

- Lite-On LTD163 (16/48 DVD) (with the non-caching firmware): Gets extraction speeds up to 26x times in secure mode (with C2) in EAC. It's said to be very reliable. Maybe I'll get myself one (I'm in the need of a DVD player anyway).