Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp 5.5 released (Read 160601 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #25
How do you get that WINAMP AOL MUSIC window on the right to go away?

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #27
The installer (full) rearranged my desktop icons. Did this happen to anybody else? I'm running Windows XP Sp2.

Everything else about this release is stellar!

rajas

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #28
The installer (full) rearranged my desktop icons. Did this happen to anybody else? I'm running Windows XP Sp2.

Everything else about this release is stellar!

rajas

Same thing happened to me. I've never had an installer that did that before.

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #29
The MAD plugin does not yet support Unicode in APE. Critical for any special characters, even in your current codepage.

Good thing I never trusted installers. I just ran Universal Extractor over the installer and unpacked it. Winamp today comes bundled with a lot of BS, countless Sonic burning libraries, Gracenote commercial CDDB libraries ... could't let that get into my computer.

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #30
Nothing prevents anyone from disabling certain questionable features during installation. Not even Nullsoft's default setup system.

Besides, what are you guys doing to the poor installer, that makes it cause havoc on your systems?

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #31
5.3 one uses appox 17770 KB mem while this one uses only ~17000KB on my computer, slight improvement

Mildrop2 now support Pixel Shader 2 and 3, very nice
still LAME 3.96.1 --preset extreme -q 0 -V 0 -m s at least until 2005.

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #32
well, quite an interesting release , too many great new features, ReplayGain, Ogg and FLAC encoding support, and the album art panel... well... i don't know what's more is in there, simply because no matter what i try to do, Winamp is freezing, halting, crashing and jamming with no mercy ... i'm having too much trouble and script errors with the new Bento skin, i reverted to the Modern so, thank God it's no more crashing, it's only freezing now and having some conflict with Babylon Dictionary v 6.0.0 so they both go frozen until winamp is terminated...
and the File Info box/editor is still limited, i hope we would see some native APEv2 tags support in the near future, and maybe an extended one like the "special" File Info box/editor in Foobar2000...

the release seems to be a bit so buggy, but that doesn't mean it's not still awesome   

only hoping to see a version 5.51 soon

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #33
The goods...

1) Very nice new UI
2) Native Album Art support for my MP3s
3) Fixed non-English issues with the font renderer. Now Unicode tags are displayed properly
4) Nice ID3v2.3 support (My files are all displayed correctly, including BAND which is displayed as Album Artist).
5) I like the info box in the top middle during playing music
6) The performance is pretty good, at least on my machine.
7) Milkdrop effect is awesome.
8) I like the Dashboard when I start playing the music

The not so good...

1) no native cuesheet support yet (I know it is still on the wishlist, and for some time already.)
2) High memory usage in terms of "Private Bytes" and "Virtual Size" shown in Process Explorer, "Working Set" is reasonable though.
3) Milkdrop does not support Unicode characters correctly.

This is what I got for now.

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #34
Hmm actually this does seem rather good and wow nice look and low memory useage, but I love my Foobar 

Also is there anything I can do that renames my files based on the tags within Winamp, like the ever so useful file options in Foobar???
:Foobar 2000:
:MPC --standard:
:iRiver H320 Rockboxed:

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #35
Hmm actually this does seem rather good and wow nice look and low memory useage, but I love my Foobar 

well, i'm gonna stick to my foobar too for now at least  ... i'm still having these "hangs" or freezings with Winamp, when i try to configure the CDDA Sonic plugin Winamp freezes but continues to play, unfreezes automatically after about a minute and opens the Sonic plugin box...

the Dashboard and all those Internet supported gadgets and stuff are turning Winamp into a personal hell for me!! the player goes frozen!! it consumes my connection (i'm still using a 33.6 dial-up!!!), well, i want to disable it in a way but i'm still getting frozen in almost each step for now!!! well, surely that doesn't mean that it's not a great thing to have !!! but, not for a dial-up user !

i'm leaving Winamp for the support of the files that Foobar does not support for now, and for playing Midis as i always loved the Winamp+Microsoft Synth support

still waiting for some bugfixes though or a better tuning, CUE sheets and Extended ID3v2/APEv2 Tag support are on my wishlists too, though, still lovin it

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #36

Excellent news! But it still crashes pretty much every time I pause it on my work machine  Or should I say stops responding....I reckon it's something to do with the external drive because it also jammed my file system until a track finished playing in Winamp.

Same here, went back to 5.35... Seems like another hurried release...

Glad I'm not the only one....it's made it unusable for me

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #37

Excellent news! But it still crashes pretty much every time I pause it on my work machine  Or should I say stops responding....I reckon it's something to do with the external drive because it also jammed my file system until a track finished playing in Winamp.

Have you tried a complete uninstall of the former version from your system (including the files that remain in x:/program files/winamp) and a fresh reinstall of the new one?

It has solved most of the issues of that kind for me.

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #38
No hangs here. I love it. Bye-bye foobar and Mediamonkey.

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #39
I'm actually quite happy with the new Winamp but what it lacks is a file renamer like the one included with Foobar, where it renames according to meta tags.  Or am I being very dumb, it only crashed on me once so far and I was mucking around with milkdrop
:Foobar 2000:
:MPC --standard:
:iRiver H320 Rockboxed:

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #40
The good:

- Winamp actually looks attractive now
- Audioblog support
- Winamp Remote sounds like a cool concept

The bad:

- No support for multimedia keyboards (play, pause, etc.)
- No Windows taskbar control like WMP11 does on Vista
- Audioblog support kinda poorly implemented. Couldn't tell where the music was being downloaded to
- Kinda hard to tell if the metadata lookup (auto tagging) feature works or not when you apply it to a particular file
- Album art search results just really bad or nonexistent

I guess this release would be cool for Winamp users, but it won't pull me away from my current WMP/Foobar combo.
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #41
- No support for multimedia keyboards (play, pause, etc.)
- No Windows taskbar control like WMP11 does on Vista

Multimedia keys just need to be configured with Global Hotkeys plug-in.
http://www.niversoft.com/products/wac <- Winamp Advanced Controls, Vista compatible
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']"We will restore chaos"-Bush on Iraq[/span]

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #42
The MAD plugin does not yet support Unicode in APE. Critical for any special characters, even in your current codepage.

Good thing I never trusted installers. I just ran Universal Extractor over the installer and unpacked it. Winamp today comes bundled with a lot of BS, countless Sonic burning libraries, Gracenote commercial CDDB libraries ... could't let that get into my computer.

I'd prefer in_mpg123 over in_mad. with mp3infp you can have Unicode APE tags and shell extension for editing tags.
Sorry for my English.

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #43

Have you tried a complete uninstall of the former version from your system (including the files that remain in x:/program files/winamp) and a fresh reinstall of the new one?

It has solved most of the issues of that kind for me.

I'll give it a go when I get back to work next week...

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #44

Count me among the casualties.  I'm back to running 5.34.  Maybe next time.....

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #45

Count me among the casualties.  I'm back to running 5.34.  Maybe next time.....

Can you guys give me more detailed steps about how you're making things crash/hang so I can look into it?

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #46
Sorry, I know this is not the right place to post bug reports...

I just had Winamp crash (stopped working warning). I simply tried to rescan my library as I noticed Winamp did not import all songs that I have. "Half way through" I simply got a window saying Winamp has stopped working and option to report it to Microsoft. I'm using Vista and Winamp is clean install (Installed Vista last night) with default skin/settings.

It also caused issue right after installing last night. It consumed 99 - 100% of CPU time on first launch (no playback just imported files and left it running). After I ran it I noticed my CPU fan started spinning frantically, I noticed it was Winamp. I closed it but forgot to check to see if process has been terminated. It hasn't. It remained running for another 30 minutes. I manually terminated it and computer returned to normal state. There were no other programs running.

This is the first time in 8 years I've used Winamp that caused issues or has crashed. I don't know if this is Vista only related as 5 - 5.35 releases ran almost flawlessly on XP.

Edit: Just tried it again as I thought it might have been random but it happens every time just by rescanning watched folders.

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #47
ok, in details, lets start with Milkdrop2:
i have WINXP SP2, VGA is MSI with ATI RADEON 9550 with Driver Packaging Version   8.33-061220m-040997C-ATI, Intel P4 3.0GHz, MB is ASrock P4VM800 with Intel D865PERL chipset, dunno what else you need to know...

on the initiation of Milkdrop2 with the Modern Skin, default settings used, and then customized but wit no avail...

Code: [Select]
script Failure. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #0021.006F0875.28 Script Fatal Error
scripts/vis.maki

and when i press the left button, the main window/equalizer/VIS windows disappeared, and at the first other click it crashed.. while at the second try Winamp reverted to the Classic Skin after another script error -the numbers are different each time but it's all of vis.maki of course- with ONLY Main window and EQ window open!? and when i pressed the "PL" button, it opened the playlist with no skin, but the shape of the classic skin and the colours of the modern!!! and when trying to check the skin, it said it was still "Modern", i selected "Classic" and the n "Modern" and everything went fine and Milkdrop2 played fine in the vis panel...tried selecting Milkdrop 2 again.. it displayed the same Script error message then crashed...
another trial, switching from AVS to Milkdrop2 caused the exact things, selecting Milkdrop2 and starting it would first show a vis panel popping out of winamp, and then it hangs, and gives the same script error message, left click, back to classic skin, then switch back to modern and it worked, the playing of music wasn't interrupted at all during any of the errors, then i tried to switch to full screen, it worked perfectly!! and when switching back, it gave a script error but with different code number:

Code: [Select]
script Failure. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #0021.006F08F4.32 Script Fatal Error
scripts/vis.maki

though running Milkdrop2 with Classic Skin, Bento & Big Bento had no problems at all!!! perfect smooth transition from full screen to windowed, and even when changing from modern to Bento..

i'll try making a new clean install of winamp later and try to confirm this... though the last 5.35 versiom i had was installed a clean install, with no additional plugins or add-ons added at any later time!!! 5.5 was installed only 5-6 days after the clean install of 5.35 here...

hope that this info could help though

oh...

and TRULY LOOVVVEEE THE NEW MILKDROP  !!! dunno how much difference it would show on my 9550 though, but it is still awesome 

Hails...
H.Q.

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #48
Installed it on a fresh XP Pro SP2 install (in a VMware machine) and works like a charm even with removable storage, no hangs whatsoever, now before switching from 5.35 to it on my main OS having lots of desktop icons I'd like to know if there's a way no to have it mess them up besides extracting the files from the installer (can be done with 7-Zip, no need for Universal Extractor), thanks.

EDIT: Grammar + 7-Zip part.
WavPack 5.7.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #49
If I quit Winamp 5.5 with a .tak file as the last last item selected in my playlist, it will give similar errors to those mentioned above and won't let me start Winamp. When I delete the playlist file created in Winamp's folder it allows me to start again. Mind you, actual playback of .tak files is no problem. It's just quitting with one selected in the playlist.