Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: SB Live 5.1 (Read 3640 times) previous topic - next topic

SB Live 5.1

I am aware (after scanning this site) that the rear output has a lower THD level. 

So i was wondering (without having to install the KXD3534 drivers) if it was possible to use the rear as my main output (i don't use my card for anything other than listening to and creating 2 channel stereo, and i am not in the least interested in DSP etc, just straight forward clean sound.)

The reason i can't use the KXD drivers is because they conflict with a lot of my softsynths (e.g - refuse to produce audio at all from them.)  Some do work, that is what i find strange, and i have tried them using the ASIO drivers also to no avail.

Please help......most of my mp3 collection sound terrible since i bought this damn card.

Alternatively, is there a way i could install both my creative (for acid/flstudio etc) and KXD drivers (they work perfect just for listening to music.)

Thank you.

SB Live 5.1

Reply #1
try foobar 2000

SB Live 5.1

Reply #2
Foobar is just an audio player is it not? (i don't mean "just", i mean it wont make my crap soundcard any better.)  But reversing the outputs will.

I'm downloading it anyway, i have heard of it before, but i have even heard people say windows media player is good, so i generally ignore peoples recommendations (due to the type of site this is, i did look into it this time though.)

Thanks. 

SB Live 5.1

Reply #3
Maybe you can choose an option which will allow you to have the same output on the rear and the front channels. Then you'll only have to change the plugs.. As I can conclude from your post you don't use surround as you only listen to mp3s.
I love the moderators.

SB Live 5.1

Reply #4
ello fragtal.

Erm...i've looked everywhere (from the driver software itself thru properties and all the way through the manual) and there seems to be no way to re route the outputs (once again, no idea why, as the KX drivers do this themselves as default, so there must be some software option to do this, probably locked out by creative though.)
And the KX Drivers site and SDK is far too technical for me to understand.

I had to reinstall the KX Drivers as the creative ones are simply too bad to continue using...Why do they hide these things from us?  Not only that, why on earth do the rear outputs have a better quality output than the front?

Questions, questions, questions 

SB Live 5.1

Reply #5
there seems to be no way to re route the outputs (once again, no idea why, as the KX drivers do this themselves as default, so there must be some software option to do this, probably locked out by creative though.)

...or perhaps supported by the hardware, but not implemented by Creative's drivers.

Their Linux emu10k1 module includes a speaker routing config tool, and with some tweaking, you can make it feed the front to the rear instead of to the front. (Without mirroring it on the output you aren't using.)

Too bad the Win32 drivers don't have such DSP routing flexibility, but I suppose they would want to have that as a selling feature for the EMU APS or whatever their latest professional hardware happens to be.

You could use the 4ch mode, though I'm not sure if it mirrors front onto rear. It certainly has different 5.1 and 3D downmixing than headphones, so its not likely to be a good solution if you normally use them.

SB Live 5.1

Reply #6
ello fragtal.

Erm...i've looked everywhere (from the driver software itself thru properties and all the way through the manual) and there seems to be no way to re route the outputs (once again, no idea why, as the KX drivers do this themselves as default, so there must be some software option to do this, probably locked out by creative though.)
And the KX Drivers site and SDK is far too technical for me to understand.

I had to reinstall the KX Drivers as the creative ones are simply too bad to continue using...Why do they hide these things from us?   Not only that, why on earth do the rear outputs have a better quality output than the front?

Questions, questions, questions  

I believe it's due to the AC3 or some such codec (it's late here and I'm forgetting my TLA's) that is used on the front channels,  that isn't in the path on the rear ones,  An actual hardware in the card situation. 

It is a nice feature of KX that allows you massive reconfiguring..  too bad nobody else has figured it out,  or that CL dosen't support it in their own drivers.

WARNING!!  Violation of (unwritten) Rule #28 follows!  Thou shalt not speak favorably of any Creative Labs Products.      (joke guys...  really!!!)

I'm not sure,  but I think they (somewhat) improved it in the Audigy cards, might be worth some research...  You probably could get an OEM Audigy I card for $40-50 USD nowadays. 

The new M-Audio Revolution card might be a semi-cheap option (abt $99) MUCH better hardware,  but I don't know how well it might work with what sounds like your serious computer music programs.  It's been optimized a little more towards home theater than pro audio,  but you probably know M-Audio's rep as a good pro audio company.