Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tag a flac file (Read 5395 times) previous topic - next topic

Tag a flac file

I am trying to tag a flac file,I use Mp3tag v2.1.3 and Tag and rename
3.0 and tracknumber shows in both of this programs,but when I import to
MPEG Audio collection last version the tracknumber doesn´t show.I Use
ID3v1 tags.What am I doing wrong?

Tag a flac file

Reply #1
Try using FLAC's own tagging system.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Tag a flac file

Reply #3
The latest Developer Build of Mp3tag writes FLAC-tags (vorbis comments) to FLAC files.

Seems that there is a small bug in the latest version of MAC - after having a quick look at the source, it seems they're reading the Track-field, instead of the Tracknumber-field.

Edit: Bug report goes here.

~ Florian

Tag a flac file

Reply #4
I have tried Mp3tag v2.1.4 and Tagger front with both ID3v1 and FLAC,and it doesnt show in MAC,but it shows in the tag program.

Tag a flac file

Reply #5
The latest Developer Build of Mp3tag writes FLAC-tags (vorbis comments) to FLAC files.

Seems that there is a small bug in the latest version of MAC - after having a quick look at the source, it seems they're reading the Track-field, instead of the Tracknumber-field.

Edit: Bug report goes here.

~ Florian

Thanks for the report, will be fixed in MAC 2.92.

Tag a flac file

Reply #6
Ok,thanks.

Tag a flac file

Reply #7

What is the difference between a Vorbis Comment and a FLAC tag?  tag.exe can do both.  I had been using FLAC tags but when I tested out Rio Music Manager (since I'm thinking of buying a Karma) it didn't import the tags correctly.  Are Vorbis Comments more widely used?

Tag a flac file

Reply #8
FLAC tags = Vorbis Comments

Vorbis Comments are FLAC's native tagging system, which is why I reffered to them as "FLAC tags". They are much more flexible then ID3V2 tags.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Tag a flac file

Reply #9

Vorbis Comments are FLAC's native tagging system, which is why I reffered to them as "FLAC tags". They are much more flexible then ID3V2 tags.

Does ogg use the same system as flac?

Tag a flac file

Reply #10

Ogg has no tagging system.  Vorbis and FLAC share the same spec and binary format for comments.

Josh

Tag a flac file

Reply #11

Ogg has no tagging system.  Vorbis and FLAC share the same spec and binary format for comments.

Josh

This is from the Tag home page:

Supports ID3v1.x, ID3v2.x (reading and removing), APE v1.0, APE v2.0, Vorbis comments, FLAC tags and Lyrics3 v2.0.

Why does it list Vorbis and FLAC seperately?

This is from Tagger (on of the Tag front-ends):

This is confusing!

Tag a flac file

Reply #12

This is confusing!

I didn't want to use the same name for the tags in those two formats because I didn't consider them to be the exact same thing. They are similar in the way values are stored but not in the way the tag is stored in the file. I think it would be closer to truth to call "Vorbis comments" in anything but real Vorbis files as "Vorbis comments like" tags.

Tag a flac file

Reply #13
FLAC in MKA ( matroska audio ) is now available, and you can tag the files using matroska's tagging system and the matroska shell extension.

Unfortunately, only TCMP will display them during playback, there is neither a winamp nor a foobar2k plugin for MKA files  ....

Tag a flac file

Reply #14

This is confusing!

I didn't want to use the same name for the tags in those two formats because I didn't consider them to be the exact same thing. They are similar in the way values are stored but not in the way the tag is stored in the file. I think it would be closer to truth to call "Vorbis comments" in anything but real Vorbis files as "Vorbis comments like" tags.

Why would a flac tag created by tag.exe not be read by a piece of software (Rio Music Manager) while a flac tag created directly during encode via EAC is read perfectly?  Any clue?

Tag a flac file

Reply #15
Some (crappy?) software reads or writes id3 tags for flac instead of vc. In your case, I'd say that case's tag writes correct tags, but Rio reads only id3. And if you don't set up eac correctly it writes id3 to any music file instead of just mp3.

Tag a flac file

Reply #16
I just verified that I configured EAC correctly by viewing the tag with tag.exe.

C:\Documents and Settings\KKetover\My Documents\My Music\The Beach Boys - Sunshine Pop\Sounds Of Summer- The Very Best Of The Beach Boys - 2003\01 - California Girls.flac
Format:  FLAC
Details: 44100 Hz Stereo, 958 kbps, playtime 02:46
Tag:     FLAC
Title:  California Girls
Artist:  The Beach Boys
Album:  Sounds Of Summer: The Very Best Of The Beach Boys
Year:    2003
Track:  1
Genre:  Sunshine Pop
Comment:

But I did find this post (by someone you should recognize) on another forum.

http://www.riovolution.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=336

Looks like I'm not the only one with this issue.  (Notice you were correct about id3 in some respects.  I just find it odd that it would read tags made by EAC but not by tag.exe.