Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Supertramp's "Crime Of The Century" (Read 4012 times) previous topic - next topic

Supertramp's "Crime Of The Century"

I just picked up a copy of this CD, and I've found a short drop-out in the audio (2:07 into the fourth track, "Asylum"), and I was wondering if any of you have a copy of the same disk - I'd like to try to find out if the glitch is in this particular CD, or in the master tape itself.

So, to anyone who has a copy of this CD...  do you hear the drop-out?

Thanks in advance!

~esa

Reply #1
I just picked up a copy of this CD, and I've found a short drop-out in the audio (2:07 into the fourth track, "Asylum"), and I was wondering if any of you have a copy of the same disk - I'd like to try to find out if the glitch is in this particular CD, or in the master tape itself.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=306761"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not sure to understand what you mean by "drop-out", but I certainly hear a distortion at that precise moment, both on a remastered edition and the MFSL edition. It's well known IIRC, and it must be on the original master.

Reply #2
Don't have the disc but I think I know these distorsions - mainly in vocals. Many of my CD's have them. These 'dropouts' drop even lower once you encode them with mp3 (even on aps). The added artifact sounds like a weird pitch change on the vocals. I've abxed many of these recently up to -aps but not -apx. I am planning to upload samples soon.

Reply #3
My copy of the regular CD have the same glitch at that exact moment

Reply #4
Thanks for the feedback...

It's good to know that I didn't buy a defective CD.

Reply #5
I think we can hear the editing made on the analogue tape.
At that time they didn't have a digital tool, so they had to do it with scissors and tape, creating some drop out and distortions…

Reply #6
Just in case it's of any interest, I can confirm that both my vinyl copies (standard release, and A&M "Audiophile" half-speed mastered version) have the same glitch. So it's obviously on the original mastertape, not just the digital transfer.

I think we can hear the editing made on the analogue tape.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=306948"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Agreed. The glitch sounds to me like a (fairly poorly done) analogue tape splice, resulting in dropout due to loss of tape-to-head contact.