Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: OS X WASAPI alternative (Read 4489 times) previous topic - next topic

OS X WASAPI alternative

Hi all,
is there any alternative to the windows WASAPI on the mac os x? I want to be able to stream raw audio through the optical out to the external DAC just like i did it from foobar2000.
Is that possible to do on the OS X? Or maybe at least I can disable automatic resampling of the output audio at all?
Thanks a lot in advance for your answers, and sorry for my english, its not my native T_T

OS X WASAPI alternative

Reply #1
Not sure what your problem with the standard mac audio engine is but perhaps "bitperfect" is an application that might fit your "needs". You can find it in the App Store. I seriously doubt that there's a perceivable benefit though.

OS X WASAPI alternative

Reply #2
The main problems are resampling (in case of 96/24 upsampling I still don't know what resampling methodology is used inside the OS; I just hope that apple engineers preferred quality over speed) and mixing audio sources - which off course changes the original audio stream.

I've looked into this bitperfect application, and its not half bad, although I totally don't like iTunes and prefer something more like Cog. Also I found "Decibel" player, seems like it has something like bitperfect streaming directly to external USB or s/pdif DAC, maybe it will do the trick.