Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Testing the tonal balance of left and right chans (Read 3975 times) previous topic - next topic

Testing the tonal balance of left and right chans

Here is a sample that can show up tonal differences between left and right channels.

It's taken from QNTAL - QNTAL II - Virgo Splendens.

Each sentence is sung in mono, then to the left, then to the right.
Listen especially to the second sentence : "splendens hic"

Then, if you hear a difference between left and right, swap the channels, in order to know if it comes from the sample or from your system, then switch your ears (swap the headphones, or turn yourself back if you are testing speakers) in order to know if it comes from your ears of from the system itself.

Then swap parts of the system involved (left / right speakers, left/right cables...) in order to know which part is causing the difference.

Reply #1
Am I imagining things or is something resonating/distorting in the recording @ around 25/26 seconds.

It would take quite a few (ie in the hundreds ) listens for me to be comfortable in saying whether I have in any tonal differences in my set-up with it.

It's a lovely piece.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #2
i know i've got tonal differences... i had to replace a b0rked left channel amp on my old yammy when i bought it.  so the age difference between left and right is about 18 years, and undoubtedly they're not identical parts (i opened it to take a look and the legs look a little different, but couldn't say more than that).

but if it's a nice sample i'll gladly listen to it