Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Satellite Radio & Coding Choice@64... (Read 3095 times) previous topic - next topic

Satellite Radio & Coding Choice@64...

I think AACplus will be the top at low bitrate... B)

pretty interresting article about (DRM&XM) commercial choice for 64kbps encoding...
http://www.rwonlin...atellite-radio/2_rw_x..._xm_codec.shtml

let's see...

( PS: Please Ivan !! we want aac+sbr !!
  )

Reply #1
Mark Kalman, vice president of Sirius' national broadcast studio, said statistical multiplexing uses a variable bitrate encoder, unlike AAC or MP3, for example, which employ fixed bitrates.

Statistical multiplexing, he said, is efficient and doesn't waste bits; it takes only those it needs to encode the audio at that instant. Statistical multiplexing puts the unused bits in a common bit pool for the other channels, giving Sirius the ability to change the bitrate for each channel constantly, and devote more to some and less to others.

Uh??  So Ivan's AAC+SBR will be ultra rinsin as it's got this special thing called VBR?

"These algorithms are so advanced and so efficient that what people know in the marketplace, like Windows Media, Real Audio and MP3, are not in the same league as these coders," said Kalman.

Hehe, that's just cool to hear!
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Reply #2
LOL

Well, people, you must agree that "Statistical Multiplexing" sounds much better and pompous than Variable Bitrate.

Reply #3
It sounds like the application is different than just single-listener encoding.  These guys are interested in improving the quality over lots of different streams.  So they can steal from one stream to improve the quality of another.

Or at least, that's the way I read it.

The addition of SBR is a completely different animal, I think.

ff123