Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Any Way To Decode A Dts File To Wav? (Read 5804 times) previous topic - next topic

Any Way To Decode A Dts File To Wav?

Is it at all possible? I've looked on this forum and on doom9, but apparently the specs aren't available. But seeing as PowerDVD, WinDVD etc. can play them surely someone must have managed to reverse engineer it with some ingenuity?

Would the quality of a 5.1 DTS --> --alt-preset standard (stereo of course) be noticeably better than 448 kbit ac3 --> aps? (I dunno what the bitrate of the DTS is, but it will be MUCH higher than 448.

Can anyone help me out (I don't mind if the program has a somewhat dubious legal status

Reply #1
I went through the download section at doom9 as well as the section on audio guides for you.

There was nothing listed for dts.

But I am sure I read there that there was a tool in development awhile back.

DVD2SVCD gives an option to select the dts stream for rips using BeSweet, but I have never  used it.

You know who could help with this is DSPGuru

Reply #2
DSPGuru has said in the past that there's nothing that can decode DTS soundtracks and hence it's not implemented in any version of Besweet. I dunno if that situation has changed.

The DVD in question has a 448 stereo ac3 (rather unusual), a 448 5.1 ac3 and a DTS track. It the Disturbed M.O.L. DVD (music DVD, metal). Now i know the 448 stereo track should be more than good enough for trancoding, but unfortunatly it seems to have some clicking sounds in it which the 5.1 doesn't.

Reply #3
i guess You may have to run it through Total Recorder or digital loopback Your soundcard (if You have both digital IN and OUT), while playing the DVD in a software player - but i guess its not the best solution - takes loooong time, prone to faults and You need to resync the track to the movie manually

Reply #4
Mmmm... Never tried to do that, but if you can play the DTS with WinDVD, PowerDVD, or any similar animal, you can probably use graphedit to create a graph that will dump the output of the filter you use into a wav... (that used to be the way to decode the DVD sound in the old days before Azid and all its descendants...)

Reply #5
Mmmm... Never tried to do that, but if you can play the DTS with WinDVD, PowerDVD, or any similar animal, you can probably use graphedit to create a graph that will dump the output of the filter you use into a wav... (that used to be the way to decode the DVD sound in the old days before Azid and all its descendants...)

Exactly. I just did that to decode a 20-bit LPCM track that no tool was able to handle. It should work with DTS, also.

I can provide more details, if necessary.

Reply #6
But seeing as PowerDVD, WinDVD etc. can play them surely someone must have managed to reverse engineer it with some ingenuity?

Nope. The manufacturers of these software simply bought the DTS decoding libraries from DTS labs.

Reply #7
But I am sure I read there that there was a tool in development awhile back.

I don't think so. To start with, you would have to reverse-engineer the format, because there are no specs available. And I never heard of any DTS reverse-engineering effort.

Reply #8

You can't, because the DTS decoders in these programs isn't available as DirectShow transform filter. It's probably linked inside the main binary, or as a secure DLL. DTS labs are extremely bitchy about the security of their format.

Reply #9
It somehow makes me wonder why on earth an extremely proprietory format with absolutely no published specs gained so much support so quickly. How did the DTS authors manage to persuade every hardware manufacturer into using their closed, expensive and proprietory format?

MPEG-2 video used on DVD is an open standard. I'm not sure about AC3 but at least directshow filters, encoders and decoders for that format are widely available. Boycott DTS, I daresay. If they want to keep their format unknown then let's make sure it will remain unknown

Reply #10
Blame Spielberg. I think the first use of DTS was Jurassic Park.

Reply #11
It somehow makes me wonder why on earth an extremely proprietory format with absolutely no published specs gained so much support so quickly. How did the DTS authors manage to persuade every hardware manufacturer into using their closed, expensive and proprietory format?

It's a high quality multichannel format, while AC3 is targeted at smaller qualities and smaller bitrates.

Reply #12
Slightly off my initial topic, but when using Digital OUT --> Digital IN on a soundcard (mine doesn't support either unfortunately) is there any loss in quality at all, ie if you do it from a wav on the HD, will the recorded input be exactly identical to the original wav?

I'm wondering this basically for ripping copy-protected CDs (once they come up with a non "stickytapeable" copy protection).

Also, how expensive are soundcards with both digital In and out?

Reply #13
Slightly off my initial topic, but when using Digital OUT --> Digital IN on a soundcard (mine doesn't support either unfortunately) is there any loss in quality at all, ie if you do it from a wav on the HD, will the recorded input be exactly identical to the original wav?

I'm wondering this basically for ripping copy-protected CDs (once they come up with a non "stickytapeable" copy protection).

Also, how expensive are soundcards with both digital In and out?

http://www.audio-illumination.org/forums/i...129f96470d4266e

The M-audio cards (that do not resample) go for around $150, I think.