Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New M-audio Revolution Soundcard (Read 9239 times) previous topic - next topic

New M-audio Revolution Soundcard

Reply #25
[...] That card uses the same VIA chip... and should probably be very similar to M-Audio Revolution and Terratec Aureon Space 7.1.

Is there a major difference between the Aureon Space 7.1 and Sky 5.1? Besides the obvious difference in channel numbers... (which can be utilized in WinXP only)

Is the chip of the space superior?

Reply #26
How many cues do you need to accurately localise a sound?

1. Interaural time delay
2. Interaural intensity (or level) difference
3. spectral cues (HRTFs)
4. spectral cues (high frequency attenuation with distance)
5. direct to reverberant ratio
6. absolute level

Plus the correct change of most of these as you move your head.

Not all are applicable in all situations.

Stereo gives all correct for exactly two locations (the locations of the left and right speakers). Between the speakers, we can create a good illusion using a compromised version of 1 and/or 2. We never get 3 (unless using transaural processing). We can get 4. We can get 5, and it helps the illusion of depth. We can get 6.

Going beyond stereo (and I'm thinking more speakers in front, as well as behind) you improve the accuracy and directionality of 5; this improves the sense of depth in front, as well as behind. You can approach wavefront reconstruction, which matches the correct 1 and 2 over a wider area. Plus you get a sense of the recording venue, rather than having all the acoustics either
a) folded down into the front 60 degrees, thus confusing the whole experiences, or
B) excluded from the recording.

I doubt your living room sounds anything like a concert hall, stadium etc, so expecting it to recreate this experience from just two sound sources is a bit optimistic!

The other problem, even if your listening room matches the recording room, is that, in the recording room, the performers are spaced around the font. The two speakers do not re-create all the sound waves that would have been present in the original space, so the efelcted sound waves (i.e. reverberation) will be very different from what you would have been present in the original location.

I'm not a fan of 5.1 for music. The centre channel may help some recordings (but we can do without it!) - more FRONT channels would be very beneficial.

I wouldn't but a surround sound system to listen to stereo music. But there are ways of recording music for surround sound reproduction that are very exciting and involving and do a much better job of re-creating the original event than stereo.

2nd order Ambisonics, anyone?

Cheers,
David.
P.S. this is what I've heard and loved:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/manu...ture/chesky.htm

Reply #28
[...] That card uses the same VIA chip... and should probably be very similar to M-Audio Revolution and Terratec Aureon Space 7.1.

Is there a major difference between the Aureon Space 7.1 and Sky 5.1? Besides the obvious difference in channel numbers... (which can be utilized in WinXP only)

Is the chip of the space superior?

No - they have the same chip.
Not 100% sure.
Here is list of soundcards based on Envy24HT chip.
Here is list of soundcards based on Envy24 chip.
Hmmm...

My question is - do Aureon 5.1 Sky and Aureon 7.1 Space support ASIO and GSIF? (if not, maybe I will go for DMX 6fire 24/96 LT instead)