Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Terratec DMX6Fire (Read 2378 times) previous topic - next topic

Terratec DMX6Fire

Hi,

I've played around a bit with the Buffer Settings of my DMX6Fire 24/96. I would like to know which are the best Values for

a) DMA Buffersize (1-15msec.)
B) ASIO Buffer Size (192 samples/buffer - 2688samples / buffer)

and if I should activate GSIF/ASIO multi-client. I don't know what all this means.

I have an  Athlon XP1600+ 256MB and DDR-Ram. I want to record Tapes with the Line-In of the Soundcard.

Thx & Greets

Terratec DMX6Fire

Reply #1
You most probably won't need to even look at those settings if you just want to record something in a program like CoolEdit (or Winamp for that matter). Those settings are only interesting if you are interested in ultra low latencies when recording and/or playing. Also, not every program supports ASIO or GSIF, so for most programs the settings won't have any effect.
But in case you want to use it, a smaller buffer means lower latency, but usually more skipping and processor usage.

ASIO is an way for programs to "talk" to the soundcard developed by Steinberg and it can give very low latencies, as well as having support for all kinds of nice things, but for most purposes it isn't needed.
GSIF is similar, I don't use it myself, but I think it is used by a program called GigaSampler.

As for DMA buffersize, I think you mean DMA buffer transfer latency (or perhaps it is called differently in a different version of the control panel), it has more or less the same function as the ASIO buffer size, only it's relevant for any method of recording/playing through the soundcard.

Terratec DMX6Fire

Reply #2
As for DMA buffersize, I think you mean DMA buffer transfer latency (or perhaps it is called differently in a different version of the control panel), it has more or less the same function as the ASIO buffer size, only it's relevant for any method of recording/playing through the soundcard

When I had both SB Live! Platinum and the Terratec DMX 6Fire on the same machine (VIA chipset)  the larger DMA buffersize had the effect of reducing Terratec's dropouts which occured during playback. After I got rid of the SB card the dropout problem "mysteriously" vanished and changing the DMA buffersize did not have any noticeable effect. In other words setting the DMA buffersize to higher values MAY help with dropout problems should you experience them.
Team musepack (MPC) & REX