Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CD-Burner (Read 6921 times) previous topic - next topic

CD-Burner

Hallo,

As now DVD-RW is on the run and CD-Burner are going cheaper I think of buying myselve one. Does anyone have any suggestions about what burner does a good Job or wich one to avoid. Or does it even matter anyhow. I am realy small on budget and I sadly have bad expiriences with buying secound hand burners.
Can I go wrong with buying just the cheapest CD-Burner available in my computer store???

Thank you for any replys!!!!! :]

Stephan

CD-Burner

Reply #1
Go for either a Lite-On burner or a Yamaha burner (say 3200-E maybe..), i've had very good experience with the Yamaha 3200-E. And many are very pleased with their Lite-On. Also, a Plextor would be my next choise. Other than that, none.

CD-Burner

Reply #2
The Lite-On burners are very good.  I own the 40x model and have had no problems whatsoever with it.  Plus they are very cheap as well.
Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.

CD-Burner

Reply #3
Lite-On burners are really good, and in most cases they can be overclocked by firmware.
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

CD-Burner

Reply #4
See the jitter article @ www.cdrinfo.com ... the yamaha F1 really shines
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

CD-Burner

Reply #5
my vote goes to Plextor.

ty1er

CD-Burner

Reply #6
I love my LG CED 8120b.  never had a problem with it, anyone else with any experience with LG's?
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

CD-Burner

Reply #7
I just bought a Memorex 52MAXX 2452AJ which is a re-badged Lite On drive. They go pretty cheap here in the USA $79-$99 were they are sold. They can also be found online, and are sold in Canada as well.

CD-Burner

Reply #8
I love my LG CED 8120b.  never had a problem with it, anyone else with any experience with LG's?

I have 8080B, and it is good

CD-Burner

Reply #9
I resolved the DMA problem with my Plextor 48/24/48 and it's been
burning flawlessly ever since.
Wanna buy a monkey?

CD-Burner

Reply #10
My vote for LiteOn. Good, fast and cheap burners.

CD-Burner

Reply #12
Plextor or LiteOn, u won't go wrong with either one. 
Break The Rules!!!

CD-Burner

Reply #13
The Yamaha CRW-F1E has recenlty dropped in price. Good choice at half the price of a Plextor.
Ruse

CD-Burner

Reply #14
Go for a Lite-On. I haven't run into any problems whatsoever with mine.
Hard work might not kill you, but why take any chances?

CD-Burner

Reply #15
Go for a Lite-On. I haven't run into any problems whatsoever with mine.

anthrax:
You know, I am also going to buy Lite-On... For how long are you using it?

CD-Burner

Reply #16
Lite on for me too.

Lite-On burners are really good, and in most cases they can be overclocked by firmware.

Where can I download the firmware to o/c a lite on?

CD-Burner

Reply #17
I'm sure the forums at CDR-Info and CDR Labs have the answers. Be careful with unofficial firmware, however. After I flashed region-free firmware on to my Lite-On LTD-163D DVD-ROM drive, the unit died. It no longer reads any discs of any kind. $75 down the drain!

CD-Burner

Reply #18
Thanks Negative Zero

What I have is a Memorex 40maxx, I think it is a lite-on as its soul. 

But I am not sure. 

I think I am going to do some reading first.

CD-Burner

Reply #19
Any recent CD writers from AOpen, Lite-On, Plextor, or Yamaha should do you fine. Take your pick!

That depends on what you are using the CDRW for.

For perfect 1:1 copy of most games out there and 99mins support
you need to get a LiteOn 24x (or faster) CDRW as it supports the following features:

- can burn up to 99mins CD's (stated officially).
- raw+96 read and write mode.
- correft EFM handling (something plextor still fails at).
- accurate seek (most drives can do this.

I havent found another drive that can do the above 4 things
Thats why my vote goes for LiteOn.

Since I'm the only one with any argumenst and no just some personaly taste
i hope you better listen :-)

Sorry i just hate it when people advice some product's without any argumentation.
You can't use that kind info for anything.
Sven Bent - Denmark

CD-Burner

Reply #20
I am a fan of Yamaha drives myself. Two firewire 3200's here...rip fast, burn fast, reliable, no disc failures.

The latest F1's have some excellent features.

CD-Burner

Reply #21
I've been very happy with my liteon 24102b 24x cd writer, that I bought a little over a year ago. It has very low offsets, +12 read -6 write. I've also heard liteon burners have very good c2 error detection support. They're inexpensive  , I've never had any reliability problems, even with very cheap cd media(I normally use Fuji(Taio-Yuden) blank cd's burned at 12x). I found the ideal combination for me is my liteon 24102b, Feurio, and Mpc Batch Encoder for all of my cd handling needs. Also if you want to make copies of protected stuff liteon burners are the way to go.
"I have learned a lesson from the lessons I have learned"

CD-Burner

Reply #22
- can burn up to 99mins CD's (stated officially).

I forgot! This is probably the only thing i don't like about my Yamaha 3200E, it can burn only up to 80 minutes CDs, which once didn't suck, but now it does. So indeed, a LiteOn, (or an F1 ) is better.
If anyone knows about any unofficial firmware for my Yamaha that can make it able to write bigger CDs please tell me , searched but nothing anywhere, anyway i doubt such a hack is possible...

CD-Burner

Reply #23
LiteOn are quite good and alse quite cheap (71€ for a 52X/ 59€ for a 48X in france)

CD-Burner

Reply #24
Any recent CD writers from AOpen, Lite-On, Plextor, or Yamaha should do you fine. Take your pick!

Agreed.