Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Portable Musepack player? (Read 43395 times) previous topic - next topic

Portable Musepack player?

Hi guys,

I wanted to know if there's a portable player which supports Musepack, available right now?

I know this has been discussed before, but if you know any of the latest babies out there, please do let me know.

Thanks!
There are only 10 types of people on this earth - those who know binary and those who don't.

Dell Inspiron 5100
P4 2.4 533 FSB,
512 MB / 40 GB,
Windows XP Home

Reply #1
no
won't happen soon also, if ever

Reply #2
You don't know that. It's possible and might happen sooner than you think.

Reply #3
Since you're so optimistic, give me an example?
My best projection is 5 years, and my worst is never. Of course it is possible, but it is not economically feasible, and no company selling portables would cut profit margins by catering to a niche market.

Reply #4
I'm trying to be optimistic, solely because optimism pays. What people say here, affects other people's thinking, regardless of the correspondence to reality, which changes with peoples' thinking. Get it ?

Reply #5
Since you're so optimistic, give me an example?
My best projection is 5 years, and my worst is never. Of course it is possible, but it is not economically feasible, and no company selling portables would cut profit margins by catering to a niche market.

There is already existing flash based player that supports MPC audio. for details check This thread. More details are here. Though this player's specification does not mention MPC support, it does in fact support MPC playback.

The player looks something like this:

-- Floydian Slip

Reply #6
@Pike
I want what you're smoking...
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #7
I'm trying to be optimistic, solely because optimism pays. What people say here, affects other people's thinking, regardless of the correspondence to reality, which changes with peoples' thinking. Get it ?

You didn't give any example, like sld requested.

BTW: I'm not an optimistic. I'm a realistic.

Reply #8
Though this player's specification does not mention MPC support, it does in fact support MPC playback.

Not much of a help. You can't find it anywhere outside China, the memory is too small (128Mb, with expansion maxed at 256Mb), and given it's not officially supported, I wonder if it's even easy (or at least possible) to upload MPC tracks to it.

@Pike
I want what you're smoking...

Reply #9
You didn't give any example, like sld requested.

Nor could I have.  I haven't got into this enough.

But look at what Floydian Slip just said! There's already a portable that supports mpc .

Not much of a help. You can't find it anywhere outside China, the memory is too small (128Mb, with expansion maxed at 256Mb)

But still, it's a portable with mpc support. This is good news !
...and given it's not officially supported, I wonder if it's even easy (or at least possible) to upload MPC tracks to it.

How do you think Floydian came to know this player supports mpc if it isn't possible to load mpc tracks into it?

A tip: with realism, you change nothing. With optimism you can turn events towards your goal, even if it was not realistic in the first place . Uhm.. Besides, I'd say you're a pessimist rather than realistic, which of course is the worst of these three, when it comes to achieving something.

Reply #10
Not much of a help. You can't find it anywhere outside China, the memory is too small (128Mb, with expansion maxed at 256Mb), and given it's not officially supported, I wonder if it's even easy (or at least possible) to upload MPC tracks to it.

Question wasn't how much will it help to promote MPC. It was in reply to that gloom and doom response "MPC player won't come out in five years, or maybe never". Considering the huge Chinese consumer market, you can never tell if it catches fire in China what will be outcome of that. Ya never know  .
-- Floydian Slip

Reply #11
With optimism you can turn events towards your goal, even if it was not realistic in the first place .

Being optimistic, I think there's a very good chance that Britney Spears will be my love slave.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #12
How do you think Floydian came to know this player supports mpc if it isn't possible to load mpc tracks into it?

Erm. Because The developer claimed it supports (not the marketer, mind you, the developer)

Why don't you get informed before asking such questions?

A tip: with realism, you change nothing. With optimism you can turn events towards your goal, even if it was not realistic in the first place .

With optimism you can look like a fool when you are always waiting for the best while fate keeps shoveling shit on your face.

Considering the huge Chinese consumer market, you can never tell if it catches fire in China what will be outcome of that. Ya never know.

Well, problem is that the chinese market doesn't even know this player plays MPC. The company selling it didn't bother adding it to the sales brochure. Only the OEM manufacturer knows about MPC support.

Reply #13
Being optimistic, I think there's a very good chance that Britney Spears will be my love slave.

Sure, go for it! If you put your whole heart to it, I'm sure you'll succeed some day .

Fortunately the situation we have here, is not as hard as yours (and it doesn't involve enslaving someone) .

Erm. Because The developer claimed it supports (not the marketer, mind you, the developer)

Well, I don't think even the developer can just throw stuff like that out of his head .

With optimism you can look like a fool when you are always waiting for the best while fate keeps shoveling shit on your face.

You don't have to wait for the best all the time - just place the optimism, where it can potentially do good. And yes, the pessimists are indeed the ones who have had hard times in their lives.

Well, problem is that the chinese market doesn't even know this player plays MPC. The company selling it didn't bother adding it to the sales brochure. Only the OEM manufacturer knows about MPC support.

The ones interested in mpc will know .

Reply #14
Besides, I'd say you're a pessimist

Not really, I just don't live out of illusions.

Reply #15

I guess the problem was that they were not sure about MPC's legality. So, they have tried to be on safe side and not mention on the spec. But some other brand  might use their chip and decide to include MPC support in their marketing brochure.

As for the legal stance on MPC codec, it is in a grey area. Nobody actually know for sure about the decoder's stance. My understanding is that the decoder support is not illegal, while encoder is (for MP2 patents). Anybody more knowledgeable migh wanna correct me if I am wrong.
-- Floydian Slip

Reply #16
I guess the problem was that they were not sure about MPC's legality. So, they have tried to be on safe side and not mention on the spec.

c.b.2000 gave another reason:

For Chinese market, few people know MPC, support it or not is not important, so it is not mentioned in the product´s description.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=124367

Reply #17
c.b.2000 gave another reason:

For Chinese market, few people know MPC, support it or not is not important, so it is not mentioned in the product´s description.

You are just taking the face value of that statement. Of course it is due to uncertainity of MPC's legality. If not, why would some company spend their precious time developing a format support but not mention it? They already knew that few people are aware of this format. c.b.2000 just tactfully avoided mentioning patent issue.

But, when MP2 patents will expire, which is very soon, MPC support might catch fire soon.
-- Floydian Slip

Reply #18
Of course it is due to uncertainity of MPC's legality.

So you know more than the developer?

If not, why would some company spend their precious time developing a format support but not mention it?

Actually, from c.b.2000's older posts, you can detect he implemented MPC playback on his player for HIS usage. Not because his boss asked him to.

Later, he added support to the commercial player because it was done anyway.

They already knew that few people are aware of this format. c.b.2000 just tactfully avoided mentioning patent issue.

I think it's you that is reading too much there.

IMO, his explanation makes perfect sense: almost noone in China knows about MPC, so why bother marketing it?

BTW, something you should keep in mind: his company is not marketing the player. They just developed the software and the circuitry, another company is responsible for the casing and a third one (the brand) is doing the sales to the end users.

But, when MP2 patents will expire, which is very soon, MPC support might catch fire soon.

Nobody has been able so far to detect if MP2 patents apply to MPC.

So, the MPC issue is not that it is patented - it's that nobody knows IF it is patented.

That situation is much worse because when you know what is patented, you can go and pay for licenses. If you don't know whether it is patented or not, you can't even start going after licensing. You are always under the fear that a patent holder comes out of nowhere and sues you into court for not paying license fees.

Reply #19
IMO, his explanation makes perfect sense: almost noone in China knows about MPC, so why bother marketing it?

It doesn't make any sense to not even mention it. Just add a small mention of it somewhere, how much bother can that be really? I'm sure it must have something to do with legal stuff.

Reply #20
Just add a small mention of it somewhere, how much bother can that be really?

That might confuse people. Some might wonder what C has to do with 3. Their support lines would be flooded by people asking about MPC and how to use it. Etc.

Reply #21

In the grand scheme of things the same could be said about the rest of the world ...
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #22
That might confuse people. Some might wonder what C has to do with 3. Their support lines would be flooded by people asking about MPC and how to use it. Etc.

Still no sense. If it's mentioned in supported music formats, what confusion could there be? There are already more formats in use than just mp3, like ogg for example. Besides, how do you even know that this company has any support lines? I got the impression that it's a relatively small enterprise.

Reply #23
So you know more than the developer?

No I don't. Neither do you. This is just from common sense.

Actually, from c.b.2000's older posts, you can detect he implemented MPC playback on his player for HIS usage. Not because his boss asked him to.

Actually, from his previous message I get the sense that he already had something like that vision in his mind - "get support in some commercial player, one day". Probably initially he didn't had that idea though.

I think it's you that is reading too much there.

Probably you are comprehensing too less  .

BTW, something you should keep in mind: his company is not marketing the player. They just developed the software and the circuitry, another company is responsible for the casing and a third one (the brand) is doing the sales to the end users.

It's everywhere in the world, not only in China. Few people know about MPC. But I guess it is more than just "almost no one" in China that knows about it. Don't forget that developers are just technical people usually having very little gasp about market share.

The good thing is that they are chips manufacturer who manufacture electronics on OEM basis. So, another company might decide to use it and market it highlighting it's MPC support.

Nobody has been able so far to detect if MP2 patents apply to MPC.

That's what I said in my previous posts... it is in grey area.

That situation is much worse because when you know what is patented, you can go and pay for licenses. If you don't know whether it is patented or not, you can't even start going after licensing. You are always under the fear that a patent holder comes out of nowhere and sues you into court for not paying license fees.

As far as I know, Frank Klemm suspects that MPC "might" infringe some of the MP2 coding patents. But if the decoder does not have patent/licencing issue, does it really matter if they make a player with MPC playback support? On top of that when the MP2 patent will expire, it will make even more lucrative for H/W manufacturer to support "The world's best lossy audio format".
-- Floydian Slip

Reply #24
There are already more formats in use than just mp3, like ogg for example.

Erm.. Ogg is quite more famous than MPC.

Besides, how do you even know that this company has any support lines? I got the impression that it's a relatively small enterprise.

I think you are confusing his company (OEM developers) to the company that is actually selling the players to the end users. Such company must offer some kind of support.

No I don't. Neither do you.

At least I'm not trying to invent what he really meant.

But if the decoder does not have patent/licencing issue, does it really matter if they make a player with MPC playback support?

Where did you came with the idea that patents don't apply to the decoding routines???

"The world's best lossy audio format"

Zealotry. Great.