Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New logo? (Read 16526 times) previous topic - next topic

New logo?

From the musepack.net forum:

A new logo for Musepack is needed. Who would like to design one or work with us to create one? Reply to the thread and offer your opinion/help, if you wish.

Thanks

You can also reply here on HA.

New logo?

Reply #1
What is the old logo? this one (I like it)? or this one (is not so good and should indeed be replaced)? 

I think some old logos have a lot of character and should be kept. An example is the old logo of NetBSD versus the new logo. I believe anyone who has a sense of NetBSD would take the old one any given day. Because of the same reasons I really like Frank Klemm's original musepack page: It's cool in a retro way. I also like the game Darwinia and the movie Tron  .

So my wish is a logo be adopted that retains this retro+hacker values rather than a shiny well curved logo without character. After all, this logo would reflect the character of the musepack project and the musepack user (a hard-core audio enthusiast that generally goes through the trouble of ripping/encoding with the best tools available and is pretty much an audio-freak) -- not the user of the iCrap which looks shiny and does everything for you in a mediocre way.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

New logo?

Reply #2
i'm also a big fan of the OLD netbsd logo

...it shows a lot of character and is interesting and real light on the flashy crap

later

New logo?

Reply #3
What is the old logo? this one (I like it)? or this one (is not so good and should indeed be replaced)? 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=330440"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Those are hardly logos though. Those are banners if anything.
</signature>

New logo?

Reply #4
Here's mine.

Comments?

New logo?

Reply #5
I added some slight gradiants so it doesn't seem so flat.  I was a moron and uploaded an UBER image to imageshack....but I guess you kids can make a wallpaper out of it if you want. 

New logo?

Reply #6

I think some old logos have a lot of character and should be kept. An example is the old logo of NetBSD versus the new logo. I believe anyone who has a sense of NetBSD would take the old one any given day. Because of the same reasons I really like Frank Klemm's original musepack page: It's cool in a retro way. I also like the game Darwinia and the movie Tron  .

So my wish is a logo be adopted that retains this retro+hacker values rather than a shiny well curved logo without character. After all, this logo would reflect the character of the musepack project and the musepack user (a hard-core audio enthusiast that generally goes through the trouble of ripping/encoding with the best tools available and is pretty much an audio-freak) -- not the user of the iCrap which looks shiny and does everything for you in a mediocre way.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=330440"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree with you somewhat.  The original NetBSD logo had character, and it really personified the project...an uphill battle to be noticed and score a win for your camp.  I think the new logo lacks character, it's certainly bland.

I think logos should be pleasing to the eyes, invoke emotion, and should stand out to be easilly recognized.  A logo gives you presence. A logo means status.  Look at your computer...see the DVD logo?  I bet you can spot it 100 miles away! It is bold and pops at you, almost as if it were forcing you to use their standards. (and they are). The style is clean, simple, and bold...just as you want your product to be.  Humans are visual creatures and will respond to stimuli that seems almost brazen.

New logo?

Reply #7
Here's mine.

New logo?

Reply #8
Hey hey Vertigo, not so fast...    this is just a thread to see if people are interested in working on a new logo. Maybe Seed will come up with some guideline on how the logo should look like, so don't waste all your energy already. Better discuss the theme for the logo, then those points can be incorporated into the guideline. On the other hand, if you come up with a good proposal...

New logo?

Reply #9
tgoose: I believe it is your monitor.  I don't see a problem.

Citay: As far as it has been discussed, on the musepack site,  the only requirements is that it say "Musepack."

Make sure you get your submissions in before October 24, that is when the final version is to be picked. (according to Seed)

New logo?

Reply #10
Slightly off-topic:

"Case" and CiTay are the same person, right?  Just for my reference.
"The way we see our world is better than yours."

New logo?

Reply #11
Slightly off-topic:

"Case" and CiTay are the same person, right?  Just for my reference.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332025"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No.

New logo?

Reply #12
Citay: As far as it has been discussed, on the musepack site,  the only requirements is that it say "Musepack."[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Right, then let me go right to criticizing.  While your logo may be technically good, it's lacking the association with an audio codec. Looking at some of the better [a href="http://www.rarewares.org/rja/logos/]LAME logo proposals[/url], it's rather clear that they are for an audio codec, whereas your logo could be found on a random site with a random topic. Please don't take this the wrong way though; i mean it as constructive criticism.

I think maybe it would be beneficial to define a color scheme that people can work with. Looking at foobar2000's MPC icon for lack of better inspiration, i see that it has a blue (jeans-blue?) color. Maybe that can be used, and also focusing on the "audio" aspect of it. So, go ahead and steal some ideas from the LAME logos, guys 

New logo?

Reply #13

keywords would be: old tech that rocks, maximum performance (image is just 474 bytes), simple is beautifull, ect.

edit: yes, what happened to lame logo contest? anything decided yet?
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

New logo?

Reply #14
edit: yes, what happened to lame logo contest? anything decided yet?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332078"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

33% or 50% decided on one of the logos. I'm just awaiting opinion from Gabriel and (maybe) Takehiro (that decided to show up).

New logo?

Reply #15
Isn't musepack slowly dying anyway? It doesn't need a new logo, it needs a new release. And Klemm.

New logo?

Reply #16
Citay: As far as it has been discussed, on the musepack site,  the only requirements is that it say "Musepack."[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Right, then let me go right to criticizing.  While your logo may be technically good, it's lacking the association with an audio codec. Looking at some of the better [a href="http://www.rarewares.org/rja/logos/]LAME logo proposals[/url], it's rather clear that they are for an audio codec, whereas your logo could be found on a random site with a random topic. Please don't take this the wrong way though; i mean it as constructive criticism.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332071"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't think a logo necessarily has to have an association with the product/project it's intended to represent.  Look at the Ogg Vorbis logo for instance, what has a fish got to do with audio encoding?  Nothing!  But it's instantly recognisable which is the point.

Edit: Bloody hell, two posts in one day!
Dan

New logo?

Reply #17
Isn't Musepack as word too long for a logo ?
As banner ok.

Why not using MPC as key-letters for the logo ?

New logo?

Reply #18
I think a musepack logo should be blue or purple or sth...
Wanna buy a monkey?

New logo?

Reply #19
I added some slight gradiants so it doesn't seem so flat.  I was a moron and uploaded an UBER image to imageshack....but I guess you kids can make a wallpaper out of it if you want.  

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=330781"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I like that.

In regards to the "is it anti-aliased?" question -- this is the browser. No doubt your browser resizes large pics to fit the browser window. Mine does (Firefox), and when you click it you get the full image size.

New logo?

Reply #20
Isn't Musepack as word too long for a logo ?
As banner ok.
Why not using MPC as key-letters for the logo ?
despite id Musepack might be too long I think 'MPC' is not too well chosen as there also is the well known MediaPlayerClassic (MPC).
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

New logo?

Reply #21

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=330781"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How about making a purple/blue version of that logo?
Wanna buy a monkey?

New logo?

Reply #22
Which parts would you like to see purple and blue?

New logo?

Reply #23
Digga, I was thinking the same thing, MPC is such a widely used acronym.

MPC in Google

New logo?

Reply #24
Well, I did some quick recolouring with the logo.
Nowhere near as fancy as yours, just different
colours. Shall I send the pics to you?
Wanna buy a monkey?