Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Noob Questions re Sony NW-HD5 (Read 2227 times) previous topic - next topic

Noob Questions re Sony NW-HD5

Hi,

Last night I bought an NW-HD5 @ CompUSA.  It was a spur-of-the-moment thing:  I haven't seen my Rio Carbon for over two months, so I'm presuming that I've lost it for good.  The Sony appealled to me immediately.  However, after getting it home, I became concerned about some of it's shortcomings, especially the SonicStage requirement.  Maybe some of you can help me to determine if I should exchange it for something that will fulfill my needs.

1.  All I need the thing to do is play MP3s and, preferrably, respond to M3U playlists.  That's it:  I don't need any other audio types.

2.  I want to transfer MP3s directly to the device, without some clunker of an application managing the transfer.  I don't want them to be converted to some other format in the process.

I've installed the Vaio music transfer utility, but the damn thing converts the files to some idiot format that I don't want to mess with.  I've tried dragging and dropping within Explorer, and Explorer confirms that the files have indeed made it to the device, but the device indicates that there is no database (no music?) and does not see them.

Is there any way to JUST TRANSFER MP3 FILES TO THE DEVICE AND PLAY THEM?

Man all I want to do is play music, why does it have to be so damn difficult?

Thanks for the help.

BTW, I've read that the device locks itself to a single PC, and will not transfer from another.  Is that true (I take my laptop on the road and I'd like to be able to use it to config the device)

Reply #1
That Sony device is supposed to natively play MP3 and Sony's proprietary ATRAC3 format.  You have to use the SonicStage software to transfer the files; the player does not support drag & drop.

Maybe there is a setting in SonicStage that needs to be told "Don't convert my files"?

Reply #2
No you can use MP3 File Manager V2 software to transfer MP3 files directly. Here and here are other threads about NW-HD5. Maybe there's more. There's also a firmware update here and a lot more info about the file manager software here.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.