Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp5.1 RC3 with AAC+v2 encoder leaked (Read 121078 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp5.1 RC3 with AAC+v2 encoder leaked

Reply #50
There is an in_mp4 for Winamp that could correct that problem.
Once you've installed it, mp4 files with aac+v2 content should play just fine.
Find it at http://www.free-codecs.com/download/MP4_In..._for_Winamp.htm

BTW. Could the encoder posted in this thread be modified to take stuff from standard in (stdin) ?
Commandline could look like aanencplus - out.aac 48000 4 1
where "-" represents taking source from stdin.
A similar code adjustment can be found in the thread on this forum about the mp3enc from the helios open source mp3 encoder.
This would enable plugging in to dBpowerAmp convertor.

Dirk.

Reply #51
Just a stupid question.
I have a DivaGem MP3 player which also supports AAC.
I assume, that because the last firmware version supported AAC is about 1 year old, it will not support the latest Parametric stereo and will be playing without this new developed part? Am I right?

Anyway, what about current hardware players? Which of them support the latest improvement in AAC (ie Parametric stereo). The quality of Parametric stereo with 48 kb/s just amazes me, great quality to use in my car.

And there are some mobile phones capable playing AAC. Do they need to be upgraded to be able playing this new improvements (PS) or do they support it natively as PS is (probably?) the standard or some of them will play AAC files but just will not decode the PS?

Thanks

PS) sorry for my English :-)

Reply #52
Also one of my files obviously sounds different (in foobar 0.9b8) when put into a mp4 container... they sound the same in foobar 0.8.3 (seems as if all files sound different. foo0.9 doesn't seem to like the raw AAC files. It does not only play the LC part, but maybe PS is missing?)
0.9b8 doesn't seem to playback the raw AAC file correctly. As far as I can tell, it's turning the stereo stream into mono, probably by discarding one of the channels entirely.

Edit: I've examined the PCM output from 0.9b8, and it is a mono stream. Only the left channel is played back.

Reply #53
0.9b8 doesn't seem to playback the raw AAC file correctly. As far as I can tell, it's turning the stereo stream into mono, probably by discarding one of the channels entirely.

Edit: I've examined the PCM output from 0.9b8, and it is a mono stream. Only the left channel is played back.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=324897"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Known FAAD bug (incorrectly reported channel map for ADTS files with PS). Just keep using MP4 and ignore the problem, it will be fixed as soon as I get fixed FAAD source.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #55
Does anyone know how to encode vbr HE-AAC PS?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=324919"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

we can't do that for the moment...

Reply #56

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=324897"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Known FAAD bug (incorrectly reported channel map for ADTS files with PS). Just keep using MP4 and ignore the problem, it will be fixed as soon as I get fixed FAAD source.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=324916"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Does this affect foobar2ooo 0.8.3?

Reply #57
Add the AAC files to your playlist and select them all, then right click and click "MP4 Utilities" then "Convert to MP4 (same directory)".

The resulting mp4/m4a file doesn't seem to be playable in Quicktime. I get an error message about a corrupted decoder info. (Haven't tried in iTunes though.) Is there an additional step needed? 
WavPack 4.31 / LAME 3.98 alpha 3 -V9 -vbr-new

Reply #58
For the people who wanted to put the AAC output files in an MPEG4 container, foobar2000 can do this.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=324812"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, I didn't realize that because the option wasn't in my context menu for some reason. Gave it a try and Winamp, Foobar, and TheGodfather all have no problems with the tags of MP4/M4A files that Foobar creates from the tagless raw aacPlusv2 files. However, your right about Foobar 0.8.3 no longer displaying the files properties correctly anymore, but then the same problem still afflicts TheGodfather and Winamp as well (including the actual player display in Winamp now as well). Does sound like Winamp and Foobar are playing the aacPlusv2 stream contained in the container properly despite this failing though. I'm guessing since aacPlus hasn't made a big impact on the audio world yet, that all the audio and tagger apps out there that can currently handle AAC files, need to be updated to properly detect this newer profile. Nice to see Foobar on the forefront in regards to this with version 0.9. Hopefully other develpers will catch up soon now that Winamp has made this type of encoding available to the masses.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=324837"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How are you easily adding the tags back? Since you are using tagless .aac files?  When you convert or rip are you just putting the tag info as filename then pulling it back out of that for your tags in the mp4/m4a container?

Reply #59
Does anyone know how to encode vbr HE-AAC PS?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=324919"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

we can't do that for the moment...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=324968"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's the limitation of all HE-AAC encoders?

Reply #60
no...we can have vbr settings for the Nero Digital encoder.

Reply #61
But the quality of the Nero VBR encoder isn't by far as good as this CBR one.
Is Nero HE-AAC encoder still version 1 ?
I read in another post that they're working on it.
The Winamp encoder is definately HE-AAC version 2, though.
Nice quality.

Dirk.

Reply #62
.aac streams can be muxed into .mp4 with mp4box or mp4creator
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

Reply #63
But the quality of the Nero VBR encoder isn't by far as good as this CBR one.

This is not really true - Nero Digital VBR encoder is as good or better than CBR at comparable bit rate.

Is Nero HE-AAC encoder still version 1 ?

Yes, but this will change in the next couple of weeks

I read in another post that they're working on it.

Yes!

Reply #64
There is an in_mp4 for Winamp that could correct that problem.
Once you've installed it, mp4 files with aac+v2 content should play just fine.
Find it at http://www.free-codecs.com/download/MP4_In..._for_Winamp.htm

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Can anyone confirm that this plugin actually decodes the HE + PS part? The linked website claims so but in the file info it suggusts that my 48 kbps testfile is a LC file.

And is this really the most recent version available?

That doesn' seem so: Found this entry from CVS from October 2004: [a href="http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=9827364]http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message...?msg_id=9827364[/url]

@ rjamorim: Any chance to see an updated version on rarewares?

Reply #65
How are you easily adding the tags back? Since you are using tagless .aac files?  When you convert or rip are you just putting the tag info as filename then pulling it back out of that for your tags in the mp4/m4a container?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325079"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I never said I was doing it easily hehe. One option would certainly be to create file names that contain all the info (being careful of the 255 character limit for path names in Windows XP) and then regeneate tags from that (The GodFather is great at this). Foobar has a copy tag function, but it is always greyed out for me on APE files. Mp3Tag might work. It has an tag export/import feature that worked well for me in the past when I used to use MP3, but that was a very long time ago.

Reply #66
I never said I was doing it easily hehe. One option would certainly be to create file names that contain all the info (being careful of the 255 character limit for path names in Windows XP) and then regeneate tags from that (The GodFather is great at this). Foobar has a copy tag function, but it is always greyed out for me on APE files. Mp3Tag might work. It has an tag export/import feature that worked well for me in the past when I used to use MP3, but that was a very long time ago.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325297"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yea, Mp3Tag is a nice little program.  I use to use it as well, but started using Foobar as tagger about a year ago.

I was hoping you had figured out a simpler way to do it, guess I just assumed I didn't know some trick in Foobar that you might have known.

Thanks for the response, guess I'll be doing it the slow way(well it isn't to bad, but like you were saying the limitations of Window's filenames).

Reply #67
Parametric Stereo is technically compatible with variable bit rate streams. I don't know of any encoders that currently implement this however, and when I talked to Oliver at Coding Technologies he seemed quite surprised people wanted to use VBR for HE-AAC streams, saying "Which purpose would you use VBR for?". It seems unlikely, therefore, that we'll see VBR Parametric Stereo in the CT reference encoders for some time.

The resulting mp4/m4a file doesn't seem to be playable in Quicktime. I get an error message about a corrupted decoder info. (Haven't tried in iTunes though.) Is there an additional step needed? 
If you changed the extension to m4a (I believe iTunes and QuickTime don't like the mp4 extension) then it may be that the MPEG4 output file is not standard compliant. I don't personally have much experience with this particular foobar2000 component.

Reply #68
If you changed the extension to m4a (I believe iTunes and QuickTime don't like the mp4 extension) then it may be that the MPEG4 output file is not standard compliant. I don't personally have much experience with this particular foobar2000 component.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325364"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

.mp4 and .m4a are 100% the same

quicktime afaik by defaults uses .mp4, whereas itunes uses .m4a
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

Reply #69
.mp4 and .m4a are 100% the same
Of course the files are the same. I did not say this was not the case.

The normal extension for any MPEG-4 file is .mp4, which is also mentioned in the MPEG-4 standard. The .m4a file extension has been popularized by Apple, which started using the .m4a file extension in their iTunes software and iPod music players to distinguish between MPEG-4 Video and Audio files. Currently, most software that supports MPEG-4 Audio also supports the .m4a extension. The most common type of .m4a files available are those using the AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) audio format, but other formats such as Apple Lossless and even mp3 files may be put inside a .m4a container file. You can normally safely rename the file extension of a .mp4 file containing only audio to .m4a or vice versa to get the file to properly play in your favorite audio player.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_3

From this snippet taken from Wikipedia, we see that some programs recognise .m4a while others recognise .mp4. I'm not an iTunes user but last I heard iTunes would not play files with an .mp4 extension.

Reply #70
I guess, the SBR part and the normal AAC part is already a kind of "relative" VBR. They might occupy various percent of a constant bitrate at a time. Just guess~ 
Parametric Stereo is technically compatible with variable bit rate streams. I don't know of any encoders that currently implement this however, and when I talked to Oliver at Coding Technologies he seemed quite surprised people wanted to use VBR for HE-AAC streams, saying "Which purpose would you use VBR for?". It seems unlikely, therefore, that we'll see VBR Parametric Stereo in the CT reference encoders for some time.

Reply #71
Spoon,

Any chance that your dbPowerAMP will add CODEC support for encoding/decoding using this Winamp 5.1 enc_aacplus.dll method the same way this nice CLI utility is using? That way we can use your great GUI audio conversion tool to convert and preserve tags/easily put in m4a container file, etc. I am looking for a nice non-Foobar GUI method to convert my 16 bit, 44.1khz stereo FLAC files into this AACPlus v2 PS format.

Reply #72
Yea, Mp3Tag is a nice little program.  I use to use it as well, but started using Foobar as tagger about a year ago.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325311"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I figured out how to copy tags in foobar, and it's pretty simple. Load the source file and transcoded file into foobar. Click on the source file to select it, then click on the MP4/M4A file you made while holding down the control key. Both files should be highlighted in foobar. Now right click on them and go to Masstagger>Copy tags and that will do it. As far as I can tell it should work for multiple files as well, but I haven't tried doing that yet.

Edit: Yup, copying tags works great for a bunch of files. Just load the source files and transcoded files into a playlist. Make sure the order of the transcoded files in the list matches that of the source files in the list. Select them all, click on Masstagger>Copy tags and that should do it. Man, been using foobar forever and I still find new things to love about it.

Another edit: I just noticed the genre tag isn't getting copied over for some reason. foobar 0.9 Beta 8 does not have this problem, so that's now another reason to use it I guess (the other being proper reporting of AAC stream info regardless of whether it's in an M4A/MP4 container or not).

Reply #73
Spoon,

Any chance that your dbPowerAMP will add CODEC support for encoding/decoding using this Winamp 5.1 enc_aacplus.dll method the same way this nice CLI utility is using?

I think Spoon's got other things on his mind.
Haven's seen a codec addition/change on the dBPowerAmp site since May.

I would like to repeat my question for dimzon : could the coder be altered so that it can take source from stdin ?

Dirk.

Reply #74
I would like to repeat my question for dimzon : could the coder be altered so that it can take source from stdin ?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325506"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you provide me sample howto read binary data from stdin in ANSI C it will be very easy