Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Nero AC3 PlugIn !? (Read 9973 times) previous topic - next topic

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

I have a suggestion for a new nero plugin: ac3

why is this important?
it would speed up encoding from ac3 to any other format in nero a lot!
now everybody who wants to transcode his ac3 file (most of the time with 6 channels) has to decode it to .wav first (which causes huge filesizes in many cases) and then he can encode it with nero
with an ac3 plugin it would be possible to transcode directly in nero which would save time and space!

as an encoder there exists free ac3enc (sources are included) which is also used in besweet
as an decoder (which will be the most important i think) you could use the source from valex' ac3filter or the free tool azid (although i dont know where you can get the sources for the last one)!

mausau writes on his page that "if you'd like to develop plugin for Nero, you have to get here the latest Nero Plugin SDK from Nero website"

i hope anybody has the skills and the will to write such a plugin (i only have the will  )? it would really help using the nero audio-encoding features (especially mp4/aac)
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

Reply #1
you can grap the latest ac3enc sources (from ffmpeg project) here
valex' ac3filter uses liba52 project for ac3 decoding, get the latest sources here!

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

Reply #2
i suggest writing a BeSweet.dll wrapper for NERO.

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

Reply #3
great idea but it seems that mausau (who already wrote many plugins) has problems writing such a thing

perhaps you can have a look at it

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

Reply #4
Ciao..

the new nero6.. has DS support..
(also VST..)

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

Reply #5
i got a mail from mausau on this issue:

I evaluated azid.exe but it failed to comply with Nero plugin architecture. For an external encoder/decoder to work with Nero plugin architecture, it has to correctly redirect raw input/output. I tested azid 1.8 trying to decode an AC3 file and redirect the output to a WAV file as follow:

azid --no-logging --no-progress sample.ac3 - > sample.wav

The '-'(dash) output file name tells azid to redirect the output to stdout, but the redirected sample.wav is invalid and could not be played back. You may try this yourself and see if it works.

dspguru?

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

Reply #6
azid.exe known to have (had, imho!) issues with stdin/stdout.
anyway, tell Mr. Mausau to use azid.dll .

ps,
directshow support means you could use AC3Filter as ac3 decoder for nero.

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

Reply #7
Isn't azid based on liba52 too?
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

Reply #8
Isn't azid based on liba52 too?

not at all !

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

Reply #9
great news!!!

thanks to mau sau there now is an .ac3 decoder plugin for nero available (based on azid)
grap it here!

now it should be possible to directly transcode from .ac3 to .mp4 in nero without a wave in between

enjoy

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

Reply #10
Excellent. Has anyone tested the quality of the HE AAC for multichannel (5.1)? What kind of bitrates can we look at for reasonable quality (not transparency)?

Is it tuned for surround sound at all (ie channel coupling, different qualities and lowpasses for channels, etc...)?

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

Reply #11
I dunno if it's just me, but when I tried a direct .ac3 -> .mp4 transcode, the channels were directed incorrectly.  Is this due to the ordering of the input channels in the AAC encoder as mentioned in another thread?  If so, would there be any way to make the AC3 decoder reorganize the channels to match the input order on Nero's AAC plugin until we can choose what the input order is?

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

Reply #12
Surround channels are not being decoded.
bobsc

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

Reply #13
I dunno if it's just me, but when I tried a direct .ac3 -> .mp4 transcode, the channels were directed incorrectly.  Is this due to the ordering of the input channels in the AAC encoder as mentioned in another thread?  If so, would there be any way to make the AC3 decoder reorganize the channels to match the input order on Nero's AAC plugin until we can choose what the input order is?

I think you should submit a bug report to Mausau. Maybe asking him to create reordering options for the decoder.

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

Reply #14
since i installed this plugin, Nero Waveeditor produces an error wehwn i close it. 

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

Reply #15
New version out.
bobsc

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

Reply #16
seems like my bugging helped 

ps:
view the screenshots to see how you can tweak the azid settings!

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

Reply #17
hm, it doesnt seem to work with he-aac encoding (nero just quits)
with lc-aac it seems to work fine...

anyone too having problems with he-aac?

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

Reply #18
plug-in doesn´t work at all:

-Opens always 6 channels, also when it is stereo
-by saving crash (AAC, OGG, AIFF) or error message (FLAC)
-Playback doesn´t work

Edit: AAC = HE-AAC and LC-AAC

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

Reply #19
Did you configure the plugin?
bobsc

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

Reply #20
Opens always 6 channels, also when it is stereo

hm, dont have a stereo file to test it (perhaps someone can send me a small one plz  )

edit: ah i think i now know what you mean:
you have a 2.0 ac3 input file but the output files always have 6 channels
-> you have to change the decoder settings (remove all channels in the output channel sequence tab except ch_l and ch_r)

by saving crash (AAC, OGG, AIFF) or error message (FLAC)

you mean encoding/decoding?
for me encoding works with lc-aac, decoding also seem to work with aiff (didnt test anything else now)
edit: ogg encoding works too

are you sure you are using the latest version (from today)?

Playback doesn´t work

yup

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

Reply #21
thanks to mfluder, who found a workaround for the he-aac bug (yes it's definitely a bug in nero's aac plugin):

... it happens only if you press "Settings" and even if you don't change anything it will crash. And this only happens if HE AAC is selected, with LC AAC it works fine and it doesn't matter how much you mess with the settings, it will never crash.

But there is a workaround though. You can configure the codec from Nero's "Audio plugin manager settings" - File -> Preferences... -> General Tab -> Plug-in Lookup... -> Encoders Tab and then of course you configure the codec the way you want and proceed with the usual encoding but without configuring the codec from "Encode Files" dialog because this will lead to a crash.

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

Reply #22
hm, can somebody confirm that the last second of the ac3 isnt getting decoded by the ac3 plugin (try ac3->wav in besweet and nero (both using azid) and compare the ends)

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

Reply #23
ok here a small summarized bug report i just sent to mausau, if someone is interested or knows solutions as i dont know if all of the bugs are caused by the ac3 plugin or nero itself:

1) when using ac3 decoder to transcode from ac3 -> he-aac nero just quits (some failure in aacenc.dll)! surprisingly ac3 -> lc-aac transcoding works without a problem!
but it happens only if you hit 'Settings' and 'OK' and even if you don't even change anything it will crash, if you hit 'Cancel' it won't crash. And this only happens if HE AAC is selected, with LC AAC it works fine and it doesn't matter how much you mess with the settings, it will never crash.
hm, i just saw that this he-aac bug seems to be resolved with the .30 version, but only for 2channel input, it doesnt work with multichannel
input...

2) when using the ac3 plugin (version .30) in NeroMIX it starts but never finishes! when using the plugin in normal nero it finishes but the file length is a little bit longer (let's say the source ac3 is 1:00 than the output file will be 1:10 (in the last 10 seconds there is no sound, just silence) - seems like normal nero is smart enough to check that there is a failure and interrupts decoding whereas neromix still continues...)
in ac3 plugin version .29 neromix also just continued as described above, but normal nero outputted a file with the right length - 1:00

3) i tested a 5.1 ac3 file and wanted to downmix it to stereo, so i used the following options:
2 front, 0 rear
output channel sequence: ch_l and ch_r (btw. i hope these settings are the right ones for downmixing?)

ok, with these settings i saw that the last part (half a second or so) of the ac3 isnt getting decoded by the ac3 plugin in normal nero (try ac3 -> wav with azid.exe and in nero with your plugin and compare the ends)
i could also verify that the cutted end only occurs if ch_l and ch_r are chosen under "output channel sequence" (if all 6 channels are chosen (even if the 5.1 ac3 is decoded to 2 channels, the failure doesnt occur)
this doesnt happen in neromix (there it decodes the end correctly but doesnt stop as described above)
this happens with both .29 and .30

Nero AC3 PlugIn !?

Reply #24
the new ac3 (1.0.0.30) plugin now crashes waveeditor (2.0.0.11) already when starting.