Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Which do you prefer

I prefer (.ape) Monkey's Audio
[ 116 ] (35%)
I prefer (.flac) Free Lossless Audio Codec
[ 202 ] (61%)
I prefer another lossless codec
[ 13 ] (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 481

Topic: APE vs FLAC (Read 52831 times) previous topic - next topic

APE vs FLAC

And please tell me why
And which settings do you use?

APE vs FLAC

Reply #1
APE -extra high because it's smaller

If flac wouldn't bloat my collection by another 2gb (which I don't have) I'd switch for the speed and compatability.
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

APE vs FLAC

Reply #2
FLAC is perfect for my needs, since it's crossplatform, free software and etree.org uses it. It has been proven "stable" for a long time and I don't care about 1-4% more compression when using lossless.

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

APE vs FLAC

Reply #3
For a while dbpoweramp wasn't copying the tags when converting between FLAC and other formats, but
that has been fixed.  I prefer FLAC because it works with my player on Linux.  I use the standard setting
as it is much faster than the high and not much difference in size.

APE vs FLAC

Reply #4
FLAC, 'cos it's fast (encoding, decoding, and seemingly seeking), well supported, well specified, and comes free with warm, fuzzy open feelings.

APE vs FLAC

Reply #5
APE extra-high
The higher compression ratio is what makes it better than FLAC for me. I have archived my entire CD collection on hard disk and APE saved a few GigaBytes of storage space.

APE vs FLAC

Reply #6
I also use APE extra high. Plays smooth on my system and I don't care about encoding and decoding times.

APE vs FLAC

Reply #7
APE too, because of the file size, and because it is widely recognized.

APE vs FLAC

Reply #8
FLAC - it works fine and does everything I need.

Monkey's Audio does that too, except the linux port cannot decode MAC 3.80 files - and I have 200+ cds full of them. That is simply annoying.

APE vs FLAC

Reply #9
APE extra-high
I have archived my entire CD collection on hard disk and APE saved a few GigaBytes of storage space.

Not that higher compression is a down side, but just how much are you saving per CD?  50 mB? Less? More?
That's about 5 cents.  Life is short.  Time is money.    It might make sense to rip to a fast setting and
at some point transcode to a higher compression in a background/low-priority job.

For now I am generally just using lossless for things that are a pain to rerip, like vinyl.

APE vs FLAC

Reply #10
Not that higher compression is a down side, but just how much are you saving per CD?  50 mB? Less? More?
That's about 5 cents.  Life is short.  Time is money.    It might make sense to rip to a fast setting and
at some point transcode to a higher compression in a background/low-priority job.

For now I am generally just using lossless for things that are a pain to rerip, like vinyl.

It's not like I sit here watching the encode process, it sits in the background whilst I do other things, so encode speed matters the least to me.  For me, an average album is ~400mb, and on the couple I tested with, I found FLAC cost me an an extra 20mb (5%?) so 50 albums = 1gb wasted..

I forgot to mention, APE coming bundled with a Cool Edit filter that works seemlessly is why I've stuck with APE for my own projects!  I can decode/encode without a single glitch, whereas the FLAC filter is still in need of work it seems..
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

APE vs FLAC

Reply #11
I found FLAC cost me an an extra 20mb (5%?) so 50 albums = 1gb wasted..

OK, 2 cents/album.

As I said, the main reason I lean to Flac is I can play it on Linux.  If Ape works better with CoolEdir for
you that's a good reason too.

APE vs FLAC

Reply #12
I prefer flac using -8.  It doesn't really bother me too much that ape or other lossless codecs have better compression ratios since flac can do a lot of other things such as streaming, better error correction, cross platform, and encoding and decoding is faster.  I only have maybe like 20 albums or so in lossless so its not a big deal if I don't get the highest compression.

APE vs FLAC

Reply #13
Using Case's cool_flac works perfectly fine for me.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

APE vs FLAC

Reply #14
surprised no one mentioned FLAC is streamable?
"Droplets of Yes and No, in an ocean of Maybe"

APE vs FLAC

Reply #15
Flac here.

I haven't use ape much, so I don't feel like judging that codec. I just don't know enough.

What I really like in flac are test-option, it's always nice to know that your archive is ok.  Tags and replaygain are a must, and very easy to do with flac. If I have understood correctly, error-handling is better in flac than in ape. ???. And I really really really want to rip to lossless only once!!!

PS      There is Cool Edit filter for flac, too, at

http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/html/other.html

that's the homepage of the maker of "tag", the most popular tagging software (according to a recent HA poll    )

I can put my signature under Freaky's testimonial, well put there.

j

APE vs FLAC

Reply #16
I use APE just because I stumbled on to it first.  For me it's tweedle dum, and tweedle dee.
If I had started using FLAC I'm quite sure I would be equally happy.

APE vs FLAC

Reply #17

Monkey's Audio is streamable too.

APE vs FLAC

Reply #18
I use LA, simply because it compresses better than any other one I've seen. For most people the small size difference doesn't matter, but I often end up with less that 100 MB free space on my hard drive so I want to compress it as much as possible.

Edit: Yes, I suppose speed is a BIG disadvantage of LA.
Happiness - The agreeable sensation of contemplating the misery of others.

APE vs FLAC

Reply #19
I use FLAC because it has everything I need: it's free, open, has good compression, fast compression/decompression, robust file format, fine tagging. And since X-Fixer did some awesome work on Winamp 2 FLAC plug-in (by adding GUI, replaygain support and other neat stuff), I'm all set. 

FLAC's default compression is what I use because size isn't that important - I have only about 100 CDs and there's still room for at least 50 albums on my HD (which is 60GB). Considering that I buy a couple of CDs per month and as HDs get cheaper and bigger by the minute, I don't think space is going to be an issue ever again...

APE vs FLAC

Reply #20
I use APE since I had got it running before FLAC(a coinflip thing, they're both lossless so I didn't know what to try first), and I already got used to converting it, ripping to it, etc. I would try FLAC but I don't see why I should switch atm, since even if I had done the dual boot with the penguin again I don't use the computer for music anyway, just ripping/encoding it, for which I'd probably run to the windows partition to do.

I HAVE heard that FLAC doesn't get errors as easily as APE, so I've been reading up on this a bit more.

APE vs FLAC

Reply #21

Monkey's Audio is streamable too.

Ah my mistake. I thought I remembered that being a major distinction. Hrm...maybe I'll think about APE instead then when I get around to archive my CDs.
"Droplets of Yes and No, in an ocean of Maybe"

APE vs FLAC

Reply #22
Ah my mistake. I thought I remembered that being a major distinction. Hrm...maybe I'll think about APE instead then when I get around to archive my CDs.

Why would this be a major factor in deciding between lossy codecs? Do you usually stream music at megabit rates?

APE vs FLAC

Reply #23
For everyday use, I use Monkey's at the high setting. I think it's a good compromise between speed and size. If I feel geeky, I use optimfrog (of course with (u5t0/\/\ 1337 different command line on each run) which has won my sympathy, dunno why.

Monkey's has another built in bonus: APE tags.

Almost every lossless codec I've seen is interesting on it's own, and since I rarely use lossless compression at all, I do not rely on any format speciffic features anyway. I use lossless for test samples and to temporarily free up some space.

APE vs FLAC

Reply #24
I use Wavepack, very fast encoding and very good compression.