Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Forum Software Upgraded (Read 12781 times) previous topic - next topic

Forum Software Upgraded

We've upgraded the forum software to IPB 1.2 and have completely changed the Portal software we are using.  At the moment, things are still pretty rough around the edges and will be so for a few more days until we are able to add all the little things back into the site.  Most notably, the Latest Threads section is a bit lame at the moment -- that will be changed back to the old format shortly.  Some of the navigation stuff up top is a little different too, though we're working on fixing it back up.

The new software brings lots of nice changes though and should generally work better than the previous incanation.  In particular, the search engine has been completely revamped and is quite slick now.  There is both a simple and an advanced mode, and now you can utilized advanced search strings with booleans (well, sort of, you have to use + instead of AND, etc.. click on the usage link on the search page for examples).  In general, it should provide much more useful results than the last version.

At any rate, we're working on getting things running smoothly again.  In the meantime though, if you notice something not working the way it should (errors, etc), please post them in this thread.  If the issue is simply related to formatting (as in an old feature is missing), then don't bother posting it because we already know about it

Forum Software Upgraded

Reply #1
love the new search!  It's great!  Now when you refer someone to search the archives they actually can!

Forum Software Upgraded

Reply #2
there's a small issue on Firebird (Mozilla based browser), check out this  thread specially the post made by Jebus in Jul 3 2003, 11:13 AM

also the centered 'latest threads' is a lot harder to read.
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Forum Software Upgraded

Reply #3
I'd like to receive news from Hydrogenaudio in RSS feed. Any plans to implement RSS support on HA?

Forum Software Upgraded

Reply #4
I noticed something.
When you click on a thread from the portal it takes you straight to the latest post.
Most of the time I am new to these posts (as is everybody) and it kinda gets annoying to have to scroll all the way to the top.
Is this intended?
Can it be modified individually (like on "board settings" or something)?
Thanks

The country flags are missing, too, but I think their return is just a matter of time 
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Forum Software Upgraded

Reply #5
I noticed something.
When you click on a thread from the portal it takes you straight to the latest post.
Most of the time I am new to these posts (as is everybody) and it kinda gets annoying to have to scroll all the way to the top.
Is this intended?
Can it be modified individually (like on "board settings" or something)?
Thanks

The country flags are missing, too, but I think their return is just a matter of time 

I'd suppose we are making the latest threads to look and act pretty much as with the old portal, so there shouldnt be a problem then.
Flags will be added too when there's time.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Forum Software Upgraded

Reply #6
I can't open the HA web site at work since yesterday, when I try to access to the portal the browser (Internet Explorer 6.0 SP 2) do nothing. I can't access to the portal, the trouble is only with HA. Tonight when I try to access the browser ask me for a user and password, very weird, but I can't to have access again.  . At home I don't have any trouble, all is ok.
MPC: --quality 10 --xlevel (v. 1.15s) (archive/transcoding)
MP3:  LAME 3.96.1 --preset standard (daily listening/portable)

Forum Software Upgraded

Reply #7
The new forum software seems to be optimised for the Konqueror browser B) . In the past there where many JavaScript errors and it was horrible slow. But now it works just fine for me (Konqueror 3.1.1).

BadHorsie

Forum Software Upgraded

Reply #8
The "Active Topics" link is showing FB2K threads again. I accidentally started reading about Foobar... whoops!

I'm glad to see that the transition is (apparently) going smoothly. It's going to take me a while to get used to the new search engine, though. It looks like, if you add a "+" in front of each word, then all the words have to be found in a single post, rather than in a single thread. I guess this is how it worked in the last version, too.

Forum Software Upgraded

Reply #9
I really miss the details in the "latest threads" on the portal-site, e.g. date/time, subtitle, topic starter.
This was a good and quick overview, when you check the site regularly.

Forum Software Upgraded

Reply #10
Like some poster above said, I hope the portal becomes better as it currently is very ugly on Mozilla 1.4.

Forum Software Upgraded

Reply #11
I just wanna say that I agree with elmar3rd.

cya

Forum Software Upgraded

Reply #12
If the issue is simply related to formatting (as in an old feature is missing), then don't bother posting it because we already know about it 

Forum Software Upgraded

Reply #13
When I am logged in I see two posts from other members reported as mine in this thread.

Forum Software Upgraded

Reply #14
And I have to agree with a previous poster - the site looks wonderful in Konqueror. Fast (as im used to with Konqueror) and good looking. nice work! 
[span style=\'font-family:Arial\'][span style=\'color:red\']Life Sucks Deeply[/span][/span]

Forum Software Upgraded

Reply #15
When I am logged in I see two posts from other members reported as mine in this thread.

Same goes for me and this thread - in turn I don't see one post of mine.

Note: One of the posts which is reported as mine in the thread post is actually shown as associated with the real poster instead, once I hit the reply button and scroll down in the post history to look at it.
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Forum Software Upgraded

Reply #16
nice but the portal looks very unclearly to me

Forum Software Upgraded

Reply #17
Make sure that uploading png files for avatar really works...

Forum Software Upgraded

Reply #18
I bet it's not easy transforming a forum this large and populated, kudos

I have to say, the new search looks very promising, and a nice touch is the next & previous thread displayed at the BOTTOM of the thread, for when you've finished reading it

n1, except for the manky design...  IBF/IPF/IPB was never the nicest looker to me..
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Forum Software Upgraded

Reply #19
/OFFTOPIC

If the issue is simply related to formatting (as in an old feature is missing), then don't bother posting it because we already know about it

Lev: you're right... 

cya

/OFFTOPIC

Forum Software Upgraded

Reply #20
If browsing with images off, topic headers are invisible (white text on white background). Could it be changed?

Forum Software Upgraded

Reply #21
The wrong poster name display issue I mentioned seems to be related to browser I use, being logged in had nothing to do with it. Mozilla based browsers suffer from this bug but with Opera and IE everything seems to be fine. There's also more serious problem with Mozilla: several posts are not displayed at all.

Forum Software Upgraded

Reply #22
The wrong poster name display issue I mentioned seems to be related to browser I use, being logged in had nothing to do with it. Mozilla based browsers suffer from this bug but with Opera and IE everything seems to be fine. There's also more serious problem with Mozilla: several posts are not displayed at all.

Speaking of that, I saw some severe rendering glitches in an older thread yesterday as well:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....=ST&f=15&t=7834

Check /\/ephaestous' second and [proxima]'s first post..
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Forum Software Upgraded

Reply #24
May I ask which portal HA uses?

I saw the new "portal lite" system that IPB have built in (that DAvenger refers to above). Looks interesting. They are developing a full CMS system which should be available late this year. Will be very interesting to see what they can do on the CMS side, because their forum software is great (fast, featurerich, good interface and free).