Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: plugin request/search (Read 7748 times) previous topic - next topic

plugin request/search

Is there a plugin thats already made or that could be made that could incorporate the CDDB into masstagger so that masstagging a ginormous mp3 directory would no longer have to be manual? Cuz mines like.. 1,224 files that would otherwise have to be done by hand :/

I ask about CDDB because I know first hand it has information on album year, track number, album name, and things like that.

[Edit
I was thinking about it and it can probably be done, for instance it could take the artist and track name tags and submit those to the CDDB to get the other information, but thats assuming that they are tagged with artist and track. Or they could just send in the filename as the search parameters.]

Please and thanks,
The Rawred

plugin request/search

Reply #1
It isn't possible at all to get the CDDB working with .mp3s. CDDB is for CDs only, but it would be great if I could tag my entire collection with that!   
"We like to do 2% jazz and 98% funky stuff." [Maceo Parker]

plugin request/search

Reply #2
It isn't possible at all to get the CDDB working with .mp3s. CDDB is for CDs only, but it would be great if I could tag my entire collection with that!   

Actually I remember a program that is capable of doing this (called K-MP3, IIRC). It wasn't the most user-friendliest program, but still worked quite well

plugin request/search

Reply #3

No I think it is possible : many tagging programs do it : for instance, there is tag and rename, k-mp3, and many other, even musicmatch do it 
But most of them need complete albums files in order to work, and maybe right file names...

plugin request/search

Reply #4

Something like MusicBrainz integration might do what is required. I've used it to tag all my files (.mp3 and .ogg).

plugin request/search

Reply #5
Thanks Andrew, its very helpful. It seems to be unable to identify about 1/3rd of the stuff I gave it, but some is better than none.

[Edit: Why does it identify some files that were from a cd, then miss some that are from that same cd? That doesn't make any sense to me.]

[Another Edit: When I wrote the Tags it change the file names and put them in new directories. I dont want this :/ Can someone make a foobar plugin like this for .7?]

plugin request/search

Reply #6
I assume you're using the MusicBrainz Tagger application.

Why does it identify some files that were from a cd, then miss some that are from that same cd? That doesn't make any sense to me.

It identifies songs using a calculated file ID (called a TRM; a bit like a checksum but for music files). It may not have TRMs that match all songs you have. If you use the Lookup function to identify songs which were not automatically identified then you can submit the TRMs of the songs so that it will be able to automatically identify them in the future.

Due to the way it works the fact that songs are from the same CD does not imply that they will either be all identified or all not identified.

There is some information on TRM IDs here: http://www.relatable.com/tech/trm.html

When I wrote the Tags it change the file names and put them in new directories. I dont want this :/

In Options/Naming disable "Rename files when writing ID3 tags". Then have the tagger write the ID3 tags for the songs that are identified.

Then use Foobar2000 to Rename the files using the Masstagger option.  That will give you more control over the file names and directories.

Can someone make a foobar plugin like this for .7?

If anyone attempts this they will need to refer to the MusicBrainz Client Library HOWTO. I guess it would work well with the Foobar2000 plug-in system.

plugin request/search

Reply #7
You're my new best friend. Thanks a bunch, one more quicky, is there a way to remove the webpage at the buttom of the screen? Thats so annoying, and the donate ad too, anyway to dump em?

[Edit: Another final thing,  , Is there a way to fix the "cannot decode audio file" error?]

[Another Edit: It'd still be nice if someone could make a CDDB plugin like MusicBrainz Tagger for Foobar. Just a thought; cuz the tagger doesn't have all that great of a database :/]

plugin request/search

Reply #8
is there a way to remove the webpage at the buttom of the screen?

You get what you pay for. In this case the 'branding' is part of the deal. Besides, the website is used for the Lookup function (which you can use for songs which are not automatically identified).

It could be removed by hacking your HOSTS file or setting up a proxy server, but I don't recommend this at all (and I won't tell you how ).

Thats so annoying, and the donate ad too, anyway to dump em?

Maybe it will go away if you donate some money? Otherwise you can live with it -- it's not too intrusive!

Is there a way to fix the "cannot decode audio file" error?

I think this indicates that the file is corrupt in some way. Most media players are forgiving of errors in the file, but the Tagger application seems more strict. Perhaps there is some application to fix corrupted .mp3 (I've only seem this problem with .mp3 files).

Take a look at MP3Test to see if any of your .mp3 files are corrupt.

It'd still be nice if someone could make a CDDB plugin like MusicBrainz Tagger for Foobar. Just a thought; cuz the tagger doesn't have all that great of a database :/

Any plugin would use the same online database. If you use the Lookup function you will find that the database is very large. Any missing albums can be imported from FreeDB quite easily. Please consider adding to the database -- it is only through people, like us, contributing that the database will improve.

plugin request/search

Reply #9
This is exactly what I was looking for.. musicmetadata identification.

I've been using PHP+MySQL+CDDB2 to do this work. I've been brainstorming for the past few days about using musicmetadata on my own implementation, but with this. I don't have to. And look... there's already a lot of songs submitted by other people. Yay!

I think this program will speed my song identification craze.

Thanks Much!

plugin request/search

Reply #10
Donate money?! Who does that! 

I would if I wasnt such a poor loser without a job 

plugin request/search

Reply #11
If anyone attempts this they will need to refer to the MusicBrainz Client Library HOWTO. I guess it would work well with the Foobar2000 plug-in system.

I've actually had a musicbrainz plugin for fb2k for a while but it needs to be developed more for standard use.  I'll try to find the time to work on it this weekend.

plugin request/search

Reply #12
flatbinary, i would serously kill for that, thanks to this post i have found the single best mp3 tagger eva, and implimation into fb2k would just make it 8000000000 times better

plugin request/search

Reply #13
I've actually had a musicbrainz plugin for fb2k for a while but it needs to be developed more for standard use.  I'll try to find the time to work on it this weekend.

If you could, thatd be so sexy.

plugin request/search

Reply #14

<Mahir>
Oh please do. I would kiss you if you did!!!
</Mahir>

That would be so useful for a "correct ID/tagging"-nerd like me.

plugin request/search

Reply #15

<Mahir>
Oh please do. I would kiss you if you did!!!
</Mahir>

That would be so useful for a "correct ID/tagging"-nerd like me.

Yes. Widespread use of MusicBrainz might even encourage more people to fill in their database, perhaps even people who listen to things other than mainstream music, and actually input accurate metadata.

The one track I did manage to find data on was identified, but as a version sung by a different artist.

plugin request/search

Reply #16
*digging up some older topics*
Well... I'm still searching, so this might turn out as an obsolete post, but I'd go on a hugging-spree if the MusicBrainz plugin kicked alive (again???).

plugin request/search

Reply #17
Stop by on irc.freenode.net #musicbrainz and talk to the devs in there... I think that Foobar could be the UI that they are looking for. In otherwords, FoobarMB. HMMMMM

plugin request/search

Reply #18
actually, writing a foobar-plugin would be in their best interests, imho. Fb2k is now an audioplayer in widespread use - and it is lacking good support for tagging via online-databases. Also, because of the target-audience of fb2k, many people would probably submit good entries. I wouldn't be surprised if after such a musicbrainz-plugin gets developed their database-size would get a noticable boost.

However - easier said than done - especially for someone who is lacking coding-abilities like me.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.