Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: TTA Lossless Audio Compressor (Read 16681 times) previous topic - next topic

TTA Lossless Audio Compressor

Just discovered about it and I didnt had a chance to try it out, but someone said it has a decent performance.
Here it is:
http://tta.iszf.irk.ru/index.htm
"Jazz washes away the dust of everyday life" (Art Blakey)

Reply #1
Top marks for speed - I wonder if it Decompresses as quickly? 

Reply #2
Here are the results of a little comparison between TTA, Monkey's Audio, Wavpack and FLAC.

The test file was "Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits. The song is 8 minutes and 26 seconds long, and the size of the corresponding wav file is 89 329 004 bytes.

Test was done on an Athlon 2400+ with 1 Gig of pc266 ddr ram running Windows XP Professional.

TTA: compression time - 19 sec, compressed size - 53 567 281 bytes, time to unpack - 17 sec.

Monkey's Audio Fast (-c1000): 6.8 sec, compressed size - 53 098 244 bytes, time to unpack - 9.5 sec.

Monkey's Audio Normal (-c2000): 9.4 sec, compressed size - 51 685 552 bytes, time to unpack - 12.8 sec.

Monkey's Audio High (-c3000): 10.9 sec, compressed size - 51 527 580 bytes, time to unpack - 14.3 sec.

Monkey's Audio Extra High (-c4000): 20.4 sec, compressed size - 51 121 380 bytes, time to unpack - 24.3 sec.

FLAC -5: 11 sec, compressed size - 54 520 833 bytes, time to unpack - 7 sec.

FLAC -8: 53 sec, compressed size - 54 177 038 bytes, time to unpack - 7 sec.

Wavpack: 7.78 sec, compressed size - 53 443 038 bytes, time to unpack - 9.75 sec.

Wavpack -h: 14.86 sec, compressed size - 51 803 468 bytes, time to unpack - 15.56 sec.

As you can see, da ape still rulez da jungle 

Looking at the codecs with unrestrictive licensing, TTA loses to Wavpack. And FLAC's decompression speed simply can't be beat.

Reply #3
Any plugins for WinAmp yet? 
Wanna buy a monkey?

Reply #4
Gday...

hmm.. there is very limited info. on this codec..
anyone have some more concrete info./comparisons..

Reply #5
This codec is basically FLAC, with an added adaptive IIR stage between the inter-channel decorrelation and FIR filter.  They even used FLAC's unique method of partioning the residual before assigning Rice code parameters.

It's no wonder that the compression rate is only slightly better than FLAC's, falling far short from their initial complaint that "the recent results in the lossless compression technologies of multimedia information are very modest comparing to lossy techniques."

And of course, they chose to benchmark FLAC and Monkey's Audio in their least efficient modes only, which obscures the fact that there exist better codecs than TTA for any measure of "better" (faster encoding, more compression, encoder speed-to-compression ratio efficiency, decoder speed-to-compression ratio efficiency, etc.)

Josh

Reply #6
Interseting to know, no real advantge, just disadvantages that i can see.
Is the code a complete rewrite of the FLAC code, just using it's principles, or has it just been modified?

Kristian

Reply #7
The code itself seems completely original, not based on FLAC at all.  Just the codec design.

Josh

Reply #8
I've made a front-end for the TTA compressor and also added it to my performance comparison of losssless codecs.

Reply #9
By the way it doesn't work with v1.4 showing error: unknown command '-f '

Reply #10
Hi Skymmer,

TTAenc 1.4 really uses -f for "specify output file name". I see now that TTAenc 1.2b didn't have this option. Maybe you're trying to use an older version with the front-end?

Reply #11
Ahh ... Sorry about that ! I've used TTA v1.4-20031114. You probably used
20031120. Now it works fine 

Reply #12
Some words about TTA:

TTA does not compete with Monkey's Audio, FLAC and other popular audio compressors. TTA is one of our old projects, which has been adapted (just for experiment) for a compression the .wav files. The main of TTA project goals is a simple algorythm, simple format of files, reasonable compression level and high operation speed. TTA since version 1.2 has no restriction for a number of audiodata channels.

New TTA 1.5 is released:

It works little more faster. Optimization gives a different results while running on different processors, but in average TTA 1.5 for 1/4 better.

New encoder has a 32bit floating-point (0.24) .wav files support.

P/S Regards to Josh! TTA is not based on FLAC. Just uses the common of the multimedia codec design algorythms. Thank's to T.Robinson for Shorten.

-- Alexander