Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New .mp4->.aac->.mp4 conversion tool in Foobar2000 (Read 20642 times) previous topic - next topic

New .mp4->.aac->.mp4 conversion tool in Foobar2000

Case has created a nice new .mp4 ->.aac->.mp4 conversion function for the latest Foobar2000 mp4 plugin:
http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/foobar2000/foo_mp4.zip

It needs Foobar2000 0.7.1 in order to work. Just right click .mp4/.aac file in foobar and select "Extract AAC track" or "Convert to MP4".

This is very simple way if you need to convert between .aac and .mp4 for example for portable or http streaming purposes (.aac is needed for http streaming)
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #1
Case is the man.

Nothing else needs to be said.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #2
True!

Reply #3
Simple.
Useful.
Perfect.

Thanks

Reply #4
Worth mentioning: When you demux the AAC stream from the MP4 container, you lose gapless information. So, use this tool wisely. 

Reply #5
If this plugin is used, will the aac file extracted be identical to the aac nero aac which you can select to be outputted from the configuration oqtions ?

Reply #6
I am using foobar 2000 v0.7.1 to play my aac files. Is there any benefit to converting them to mp4?

The files are not used for streaming and my Archos Jukebox only supports mp3 so I will only be using them on my desktop.

TIA
--
Eric

Reply #7
If this plugin is used, will the aac file extracted be identical to the aac nero aac which you can select to be outputted from the configuration oqtions ?

Yes

Reply #8

Yes

What about the loss of gapless info mensioned by rjamorim ???

Reply #9

The gapless info is stored in the MP4 container, that's why it is lost.

Reply #10

OK, thanks

Reply #11

Would you please explain how it is gapless?  I'm sorry that this is an amateur question, but I've always heard complaints regarding formats not being gapless, such as MP3, but during playback I can't detect any gaps between songs.  To what does gapless refer (I assume it refers to a gap between songs)?  Thanks.
-CyberInferno

Reply #12
I'm not an expert of this gapless thing, but it is definetly regarding the gaps between tracks.  mp3 does not support gapless playback, its done through foobar (if you play your mp3s in another player, you might notice the gaps  ), but all other lossy formats can be gapless if in the correct container, such as mp4 for aac, is used.

My info is probably completely wrong, so its probably best to wait for another more accurate reply

Reply #13
Would you please explain how it is gapless?  I'm sorry that this is an amateur question, but I've always heard complaints regarding formats not being gapless, such as MP3, but during playback I can't detect any gaps between songs.  To what does gapless refer (I assume it refers to a gap between songs)?  Thanks.

True gapless playback means that decoded file has exactly same amount of samples as original file and these samples are at the same position in both files (no offset error). This allows seamless playback of tracks that need it and preserves gaps on tracks that had them also on original CD.

Reply #14
Case (& JohnV),

I used your very good tool to get around Nero mp4 incampatibility with iTunes.

Here is my feature request list, I think these will make your foo_mp4 component do this kind of job a lot easier:

- Add options to convert to .m4a file (so user don't need to rename the files later).
- Add restream options that convert nero's mp4 (m4a)  -> aac -> new compatible  mp4 (m4a) in one shot.

Thank you.

Reply #15

It's iTunes' incompatibility with the MPEG-4 standard. Has nothing to do with Nero.

Menno

Reply #16

It's iTunes' incompatibility with the MPEG-4 standard. Has nothing to do with Nero.

Menno

Imo even if this is iTunes problem, it should be checked if it's easy to make Nero to output streams which iTunes likes.. I think iTunes is so considerable player especially on MAC, that it would be foolish to ignore the problem, especially if it's relatively easy to come around in Nero..
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #17
Very nice.  I can use Nero's mp4 or iTunes' m4a for muxing in ogm easily.(with using
Nic's OggMux 0.9.5.2)

edit:typo

Reply #18

Menno

Imo even if this is iTunes problem, it should be checked if it's easy to make Nero to output streams which iTunes likes.. I think iTunes is so considerable player especially on MAC, that it would be foolish to ignore the problem, especially if it's relatively easy to come around in Nero..

Sure, but:

1. It is an obvious bug in iTunes
2. Apple is already fixing it
3. The only way to work around it is to disable gapless encoding in Nero, which happens to be a very nice feature, which most people can probably appreciate. And it gives us an edge over other AAC codecs.

Menno

Reply #19
menno,

Sorry if that hurt your feeling, I just want to point out that mp4 files produced with nero are not compatible with iTunes (I did't say anything about the cause of incompatibility)

I 100% agree with JohnV on this matter.

Reply #20
menno,

Sorry if that hurt your feeling, I just want to point out that mp4 files produced with nero are not compatible with iTunes (I did't say anything about the cause of incompatibility)

I 100% agree with JohnV on this matter.

You're missing the point. iTunes is not the reference here, the MPEG-4 standard is.

Anyway, I hope Apple comes with an update soon, so there is nothing to worry about anymore.

Menno

Reply #21
Sorry, I did't see menno's last post when I replied last time.

Reply #22
Sure, but:

1. It is an obvious bug in iTunes
2. Apple is already fixing it
3. The only way to work around it is to disable gapless encoding in Nero, which happens to be a very nice feature, which most people can probably appreciate. And it gives us an edge over other AAC codecs.

Menno

Ok, in that case I of course agree with you. I was just afraid that Apple ignores this issue...
And in any case the gapless feature shouldn't be disabled, at least by default.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #23
True gapless playback means that decoded file has exactly same amount of samples as original file and these samples are at the same position in both files (no offset error). This allows seamless playback of tracks that need it and preserves gaps on tracks that had them also on original CD.

That makes sense.  Thanks for the plug-in, too.  Now I can actually get my Nero aac/mp4 files to properly work with iTunes.  Interestingly enough, I had no problems with the files made from aacenc.dll version 2.5.5.3 working in iTunes after rename to .m4a and shortening any long filenames, but the new aacenc.dll 2.5.5.8 seems to have difficulties unless I unwrap and rewrap the .mp4 with your plug-in.
-CyberInferno

Reply #24
Interestingly enough, I had no problems with the files made from aacenc.dll version 2.5.5.3 working in iTunes after rename to .m4a and shortening any long filenames, but the new aacenc.dll 2.5.5.8 seems to have difficulties unless I unwrap and rewrap the .mp4 with your plug-in.

Right, 2.5.5.8 has the gapless support. But 2.5.5.3 doesn't iirc.
Edit. Correction: 2.5.5.3 had gapless support already.
Juha Laaksonheimo