Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Portable, Comfortable, Inexpensive Headphones (Read 11613 times) previous topic - next topic

Portable, Comfortable, Inexpensive Headphones

Hi all!  Lately I've been looking around for a new pair of headphones and was just wondering what everyone would recommend.  I'm looking for something portable, comfortable, and preferably under $100.  I've heard good things about the Sennheiser PX 100's and PX 200's, but what are the differences between the two (besides the price)?  Are there any other good options out there?  Thanks!

Reply #1
If $100 is your maximum and you want portability, maybe you should consider getting the Sony ES-888, which sounded REALLY good (back when I used to own some many years ago).

Reply #2
PX100s are open and PX200s are closed.  I'm using a pair of PX200s at this very moment, and they are quite good for portable use.  The sound is definitely not bad at all.

EDIT: closed not close

Reply #3
There are several options for under 100 dollars. My best advice would be to go over to Head-Fi.org and do a search there or even post the same question.  That's headphone central.  But the most recommended I've seen are the:

1. KSC 35 (30 dollars from Koss.com) - have pretty much defined cheap portable headphones.  For the price might very well the best sounding headphone. Nice controlled bass

2. Koss Portapro (around 60?) - step up from above and also portable. have not heard these but heard great things about them.

3. Px series - the differences are the 100 is an 'open' phone and the 200 is a more isolating headphone...there are big debates over which sounds better. i've never heard them so i can't say.

4. Sony eggos D66-  These are my current headphones and I love them to death.  Just very precise. The only problem I see with them is that the bass is very very tight.  Meaning it almost seems like its not there if you're used to subwoofer bass. KSC have much much more 'palpable' bass.  But these are very very good headphones but a bit pricey.

Definitely check the site out and you should find dozens of threads on this very topic. Those I listed above are only a fraction of whats out there.

Oh and once you venture into that site...

"Welcome to Head-Fi...sorry bout your wallet" typical greeting

Reply #4
Pushes your $100 limit, but I picked up a set of Shure E2 Single High Energy Driver Earphones last week before a 3 hour flight... layover.... followed 2 hour flight and back the next day.

You aren't going to find better for that price, especially if you want to reduce noise... it cut ALL the noise on the 737's. I wore them today while cutting the lawn, and if it wasn't for the vibration I wouldn't have known the lawnmower was running.

And comfortable for 7+ hours straight.

Cheers,
D.

Reply #5
Oh, by the way, ecost.com is having a pretty good deal right now on the PX-200's. I'm even tempted...hmmm...*rechecks empty wallet*.

Reply #6
What's your musical preferences?

Without that info, I'll just second the Shure e2/e2c ($80) and Koss ksc35 ($30) recommendations. Next would be the PortaPros.

Reply #7
blackstripe,

Although the PX200 is closed, the amount of isolation is fairly negligible owing to the fact that they don't completely cover the ears. I find the PX100 has a more transparent sound on a variety of music styles (rock, jazz, classical). The PX200 has a darker, less appealing sound to me. The PX100 has a lower list price, but the cost of the PX200 is often nearly the same after discounts. Either model folds away into a plastic carrying case for portability.

If you don't mind earphones, the Shures provide more isolation and portability. I've considered buying them more than once. Try them out to see if they're comfortable for you. Some people don't like plugs stuck into their ears, regardless of the model. At a lower cost (and lower sound quality), the Sennheiser MX500 is not a bad choice. On an iPod, I switch between the MX500 (when I want isolation) and the PX100 (when I don't want my ears plugged). They're small enough that I can carry both wherever I go. I've also used them with a Nomad JB3 to good effect.

If you can afford it, consider buying a portable headphone amp. All of the headphones I've heard in this price range benefit greatly from a small amp. In fact, I would recommend spending a little less on the headphones if it means you can get an amp as well. I have a Headsave Mint (headsave.com), priced at 69 USD before added options or shipping costs from Canada. Mine runs on 2 9v batteries, and I've had good luck with rechargeables. As pointed out, Head-Fi is a great place to learn more about all of this.

Reply #8
Oh ok, so the PX100s would rest on one's ears whereas the PX200s would rest around one's ears.  I'm thinking the PX200s would be more comfortable in the long run?

What's your musical preferences?

I listen to pretty much everything, but I guess mainly rock, metal, and techno, so some decent bass response would be nice.  I'm also thinking of using them for the occasional DVD or video game.

If you can afford it, consider buying a portable headphone amp. All of the headphones I've heard in this price range benefit greatly from a small amp.

Yeah, I thought of that briefly, but how much of a benefit would it deliver to something like the PX200's?  Those are designed to be portable, so they should hold their own while using them around town right?  It just seems like it would be too much money for one of those.

EDIT:  Also I was wondering about the PXC250's.  I guess those are about $150, but if the noise-cancellation feature is really that awesome, I might just bite the bullet.

Reply #9
I thought of that briefly, but how much of a benefit would it deliver to something like the PX200's?

You didn't say what you're using for playback, but with a portable CD or MP3 player, an amp makes a huge difference while still being portable. This is especially true for the PX200.

Reply #10
You didn't say what you're using for playback, but with a portable CD or MP3 player, an amp makes a huge difference while still being portable. This is especially true for the PX200.

I'm tossing around the idea of buying an iRiver iMP-550 SlimX, so that will be mainly what I'll be using them on (though at the moment I have an old Panasonic portable CD player).  Why would the headphones be so quiet though?  I find the basic $10 Sony headphones to be loud enough, so if a company is selling headphones for $60, one would think that they would be able to resolve some volume issues.

Reply #11
It's not about volume issues. Again run over to Head-Fi to learn about phones and amps.

Reply #12
It's not about volume issues. Again run over to Head-Fi to learn about phones and amps.

Although there's a lot of info over headphones, Head-fi is also quite loaded with BS, specially regarding cables, sources and amps. Some people at there don't really know much about what they talk and only spread misinformation. Take the info at there with a grain of salt.

For portable use, and if you don't want to spend much, a headphone amplifier is many times not justified, due to their high prices and the limited improvement they give in many cases. A good portable may not need an external amp at all.

Reply #13
I double the "take everything with a grain of salt" comment about Head-Fi, though I'd say the same about Hydrogen. Both sites have blind spots.

As KikeG has said amps aren't always necessary (and that will likely be the first thing you hear over at HF), but again it's not about increasing volume.

Reply #14
As KikeG has said amps aren't always necessary (and that will likely be the first thing you hear over at HF), but again it's not about increasing volume.

Would you mind briefly explaining it then?  I'm on a low sodium diet

Reply #15
He didn't specifically mention whether he wants earbuds (Sony EX-70LP, Etymotic ER series, etc.) or if he wants actual over-the-head headphones.

My preference lies with the Koss PortaPro series.  I have several different models of these FANTASTIC headphones from over the years: An original pair, an updated model, the SportaPro model (different headband and shape but the same drivers).

They sound awesome to me but most people tend to complain about them being a bit "bass heavy" and this is very true in some respects.  I listen to music as is, no EQ ever.  It's pointless (in my opinion) to EQ the stuff - I tend to think I should be listening to audio or music the way the recording engineer heard it.  Call me silly but I'm a purist in that respect.

But anyway, I recommend you at least take a listen to the PortaPros if you can find them locally for an actual hands on test.  I have tried the Senns mentioned in the column so far but I find them lacking in something.

If I had to admit it I'd say that I'm spoiled to listening to the PortaPros over the years.  If you can't find actual Koss PortaPros in your area go to a local Radio Shack and listen to these:

Radio Shack Pro-35A Titanium Diaphragm Portable Headphones by Koss

Koss makes pretty much all of Radio Shack's branded headphones (the Pro series and most Optimus models).  For the cost I'm absolutely confident you'll be blown away by the stunning quality and remarkable clarity that this particular model puts out.

Why do I like these Pro-35A headphones? Well, they're actually PortaPros in disguise.

They are made with the same drivers that the current generation of PortaPros have... and remember: They're made for Radio Shack by none other than Koss themselves.

Just my two cents... and a few bucks thrown in for good measure.

br0adband
The difference between genius and stupidity?

Genius has limits.

Reply #16
Would you mind briefly explaining it then?  I'm on a low sodium diet

Sorry, not trying to avoid your request, but I'm sure there's someone else here who can discuss it better than I technically, so I'll leave it to him/her. I'd have to resort to terms that don't traditionally go over well here. 

Reply #17
I'll bite...

There are a few reasons that a headphone amp will nearly always improve the sound, here are the main ones:

1.  In most budget devices, (especially portable CD players) economics defines that the cheapest parts to make just good enough sound are used.

2.  The laws of electronics determine that if you only have 3V available, (most things run off of two AA cells) you will only be able to make 3V (actually somewhat less) of signal out.  With some headphones that are "harder" to drive, due to higher impedence,  that just might not be enough to develop good volume.  Also, for the same reason, high dynamics are compromised,  as in you suddenly need many times more power to properly reproduce that drum hit, or other short and loud sound in the music, and the little amp in the CD player "runs out of gas".

So a headphone amp that's built out of better parts, that can deliver more power at a higher voltage if needed,  will help some on even cheaper, low quality 'phones,  and a lot with the higher quality, higher impedence ones..

Hope that was clear enough..

Jon 

PS - I have been REALLY enjoying my pair of KSC-35's...  probably the best bang for buck ever in the headphone world..  something else about them, they are relatively low impedence (60 ohms) and don't "need" a headphone amp as much as some others.

Reply #18
Which model of cheaper koss headphones is the most comfortable?  I love my sportapros except I can't wear them for more than 45 minutes or they kill my ears.  Also what is the difference between the ksc-50 and the ksc-35?  They look like they have the same driver specs but a just subtly different design.

stripe/ben

Reply #19
Slighly less portable than some others mentioned (but in a way, more portable for non-need of an amp), Grado SR-60s are a good choice.
I am *expanding!*  It is so much *squishy* to *smell* you!  *Campers* are the best!  I have *anticipation* and then what?  Better parties in *the middle* for sure.
http://www.phong.org/

Reply #20
I just got some Sony EX-71s.  They sound really good with my Archos.  Too bad I wasted $80 on Plane Quiets first!  My Archos didn't have enough power even after I bought a Boosteroo ($20 amp from Radio Shack) because they are 300 ohms.  You should really watch for two things; impedance and sensitivity.  Then, if you're lucky, the headphones you buy might match up to your player. I've gone through six pair!

Reply #21
I also recommend the Sony MDR-EX71 earphones for quality performance at a decent price. I've been using these for several months and am very impressed with their overall performance. They're mainly used with my Echo Indigo laptop sound card as well as several iRiver players (iMP-350 / iMP-550 / iGP-100).

Reply #22
The Grados SR40's, if you can find them, are a bit more portable than the SR60's. Same drivers though.

The KSC50's are a tad more bulky, so the KSC35's are more secure. The biggest advantage the 35's have over the PortaPro's is the fit/driver placement.

Reply #23
I totally recommend going with the Sennheiser PX100.
They have a little bit more defined bass than the 200
Also, the 200 "try" to be closed but they are way to small and maybe (if you have big ears like me) they will end up being more uncomfortable.
(I have actually tried them both)

They are the top recommended headphones for portable use on Headphone.com (before, they recommended the PortaPro).
So I think that is saying something.

They also look very good
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #24
I also recommend the Sony MDR-EX71 earphones for quality performance at a decent price. I've been using these for several months and am very impressed with their overall performance. They're mainly used with my Echo Indigo laptop sound card as well as several iRiver players (iMP-350 / iMP-550 / iGP-100).

I use the EX71's when I work out on the treadmill or with weights.  The isolation is very good (although I don't recommend jogging with them because they amplify wind noise).

I brought the EX71's on my recent trip to Thailand thinking to use them on the plane, but the airlines foiled me by using different headphone jacks -- one plane used dual mono subminiature jacks, and the other used a 1/4" full-size headphone jack.  I discovered that I could wear my foam earplugs (29 dBA) and use the plane's headphones with the volume turned up very loud.  Sort of like Dolby noise reduction in that it reduced the lower frequency droning but still let in the critical frequencies.  Worked great.

Anyway, the EX71's sound decent but not great, with good bass, and less of the sizzle of my older, but broken EX70's.

ff123