Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Detect TOC manually in EAC (Read 18425 times) previous topic - next topic

Detect TOC manually in EAC

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']EDIT : Discussion split from http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....howtopic=16131& /EDIT[/span]

BTW, since you are so aware of EAC's development, could you shed some light on the missing "Detect TOC Manually"? Is it gone forever? Or will it be back in an improved form in the next release?

I went to the EAC forum, but saw nothing about it.

It is gone forever due to the new european law (concerning copyright) about circumventing copy protections ... leaving the "detect TOC manually" function (which counts as a non-simple means of circumventing copy protections) would render EAC illegal all over europe.
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #1
It is gone forever due to the new european law (concerning copyright) about circumventing copy protections ... leaving the "detect TOC manually" function (which counts as a non-simple means of circumventing copy protections) would render EAC illegal all over europe

Now this is a good reason to explore alternatives...

BTW (to actually try to contribute something --nod to Roberto --) , AKRip does extract CDS200 CDs, though foobar2000.

There where no audible flaws, but no two rips could ever match bit-wise.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #2
Now this is a good reason to explore alternatives...

I'd call that a very good reason to keep on using 0.9 Beta 4 or 0.95 PreBeta 3 - there is no need in upgrading anyway if it works good

BTW ... Feurio! and Plextools will most likely suffer the same consequence in due time ...
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #3
People here need to stop forcing on others what they believe is the right thing to do "Use foobar! Use EAC! WMA sucks!" if these others aren't asking for opinions.

A man after my own heart, as time goes on the difference between various codecs, ripping programs, players all narrows and it comes down to individual choice.

It is gone forever due to the new european law (concerning copyright) about circumventing copy protections ... leaving the "detect TOC manually" function (which counts as a non-simple means of circumventing copy protections) would render EAC illegal all over europe.

One example I can think of where Open Source would not have this problem. Anyway taking a different tak, I have named such options in my programs 'Audio CD Player Emulation', the music industry would have very little chance of prosecuting a computer program that does exactly like 99% of audio cd players out there, after all they are selling Audio CDs. I would encourage Andre to do the same, the Music industry is too keen to use chilling tactics and for the most part they work, but a stand has to be made.

Reply #4
"Don't buy copy protected CDs" related posts split here
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #6
I really don't understand what the fuss is about with the removal of the Manually Detect TOC command. I've asked before, but no-one can tell me exactly what impact this has on the end user. From the copy protected discs I've tried I see no problem in using Retrieve Native TOC (it actually appears that in one case this has done a better job than the Manually Detect TOC I originally used on one disc) and I've not seen anyone else mention it to be an issue. All I've seen is asumptions.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #8
Thanks Pio2001. That's great!
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #9
AFAIK I have 2 copyprotected CDs right now. I tested with 0.95pb3:

CD: Grönemeyer - Mensch, CDS200 protected
11 audio tracks, 1 data track

CD inserted in Plextor PX-W1210A -> EAC launched:
Tracks 1-10 are shown as audio tracks.
Retreive native TOC: All 11 tracks are shown as audio.

EAC launched -> CD inserted in Plextor PX-W1210A:
Tracks 1-9 are shown as audio tracks.
Retreive native TOC: All 11 tracks are shown as audio.

Using Detect TOC manually the track lenghts shown by EAC change by 0-0.1 sec, but the last track (containing a hidden track after several seconds of silence is shown as 23:20 instead of 20.40 (correct). While extracting the last track works flawlessly with "Retrieive native TOC", using "Detect TOC manually" causes EAC to slow down extremely (=hang) when trying to access audio between 20:40 and 23:20, resulting in silence appended to the extracted file. So ...

Retreive native TOC ..... 1
vs.
Detect TOC manually .... 0

CD inserted in LG DRD8120B -> EAC launched:
All audio files are shown correctly, even correctly named after accessing freedb

EAC launched -> CD inserted in LG DRD8120B:
All audio files are shown correctly, even correctly named after accessing freedb
Retreive native TOC: Not necessary but anyway: All tracks are shown as audio.

Detect TOC manually: Only small differences ~0.1 sec. in displayed song lenghts.

Retreive native TOC ..... 1.5
vs.
Detect TOC manually .... 0.5

CD: Grupo Niche - Control Absoluto, probably CDS100 protected
10 audio tracks, 1 data track

CD inserted in LG DRD8120B -> EAC launched:

EAC launched -> CD inserted in LG DRD8120B:

Retreive native TOC ..... 2
vs.
Detect TOC manually .... 1

CD inserted in Plextor PX-W1210A -> EAC launched:
All tracks are shown as audio correctly.

EAC launched -> CD inserted in Plextor PX-W1210A:
Tracks 1-8 are shown as audio tracks.
Retreive native TOC: All 10 tracks are shown as audio.

Detect TOC manually: Afterwards no tracks are visible anymore!

Final Result

Retreive native TOC ..... 3
vs.
Detect TOC manually .... 1
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #10
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']EDIT : Discussion split from http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....howtopic=16131& /EDIT[/span]

BTW, since you are so aware of EAC's development, could you shed some light on the missing "Detect TOC Manually"? Is it gone forever? Or will it be back in an improved form in the next release?

I went to the EAC forum, but saw nothing about it.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=160718"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How about  an "non-europe" version with " detect TOC manully?"
It's just a thought. 
I see "Deaf" people! d(-_-)b

Reply #11
I'm not exacltly impressed by the copy protection on some disks...

Just hold down "Shift" while inserting the disk, and EAC wil display the correct TOC...

Reply #12
Fortunately, my favourite ripper easy cd extractor still works great for the protected CDs. It gets as good rips as EAC and it now contains good error reporting too. Maybe the EAC is not so great anymore.

Reply #13
So if one was looking for pre beta 3 where might it be found?

Reply #14
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Uh, no idea, but maybe you can have a look at Roberto's best Chilean photo?
[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16086&st=25&p=160828&#entry160828]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....28&#entry160828[/url]

Edit: whoops, the link doesn't seem to work anymore. Sorry.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #16
Fortunately, my favourite ripper easy cd extractor still works great for the protected CDs. It gets as good rips as EAC and it now contains good error reporting too. Maybe the EAC is not so great anymore.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299727"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

EasyCd-da extractor error detection did not impress me. Are there tests about it ?

The big advantage of EAC is that it is free.

By the way, are you talking about Easy CD-DA extractor, from Poikosoft, or Easy CD extractor, from PGStar ?

Reply #17
How about  an "non-europe" version with " detect TOC manully?"
It's just a thought. 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=236833"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wouldn't be possible (or at least illegal) with the closed license of EAC today. However, if EAC got a GPL, LGPL, BSD or something license......
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #18
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Uh, no idea, but maybe you can have a look at Roberto's best Chilean photo?
[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16086&st=25&p=160828&#entry160828]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....28&#entry160828[/url]

Edit: whoops, the link doesn't seem to work anymore. Sorry.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299794"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Shame. Nice picture it was too. 
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #19
Thanks all, got it!

I guess that I'm confused about this whole copy protection thing. I tried copying the Afterglow Live, Sarah Mclachlan, cd using EAC 0.95pb5 and it seemingly worked fine?

Reply #20
I guess that I'm confused about this whole copy protection thing. I tried copying the Afterglow Live, Sarah Mclachlan, cd using EAC 0.95pb5 and it seemingly worked fine?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299874"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It highly depends on your drive. Many drives seem to have no problems ignoring several different copy protections, "even" with EAC 0.95 beta 1. Of course Autorun/Autoplay should be disabled.

Reply #21
Someone could hexedit the latest version. It's way above my level though.