Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC, AudioTron, Wav and MP3 (Read 9459 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC, AudioTron, Wav and MP3

I have an AudioTron with which I am playing Wav files through a good quality stereo.  I will be purchasing an iPod soon to play MP3 files.  I am ripping the Wav files from CD’s using Exact Audio Copy with AtWavTag installed into EAC (as described here: http://www.nas-kan.org/detritus/audiotron.....shtml#ATWavTag ).  AtWavTag is necessary to create tags that the AudioTron can see.  As far as I can tell, AudioStation is the only other app that will do this but it’s not as good as EAC. 

I am ripping MP3 files from CD’s using Exact Audio Copy with the LAME compressor.

Each of these procedures works fine.  My problem is that, at this time, I have to rip the CD’s twice, once for the Wav, once for the MP3.  To use AtWavTag in EAC one has to put it where the LAME encoder would go.  Therefore it is impossible to save both file types simultaneously and still be able to play the Wav files through the AT.

I have tried to create the MP3’s directly from the Wav files in EAC but the tag information in the Wav file is not transferred into the MP3, making it useless. 

I have tried using a variety of tag editors to no avail, as most don’t support Wav.

I don’t have enough knowledge to write code or for that matter to do anything without a GUI, but it seems to me that I should be able rip a CD once and get high quality EAC tagged Wav and EAC LAME MP3 files!  I have tried everything that I can think of.  I have spent hours doing searches in many user groups.  I need help!  Surely someone has traveled these waters before.  I would be very appreciative of advice anyone could offer!

Thank you,
John

Reply #1
Try to search this forum for a tool called MAREO.

It may hopefully solve your problems.
criZZb

Reply #2
Kwanbis, or someone else

I hope you are not tired of helping newbies because I need your help.  I have been trying to configure your Mareo to work with both lame mp3 and AtWavTag in EAC.  You give examples for several encoders but nothing specifically for AtWavTag.

Here is the Mario.log from my last attempt.
Could you take a look at this and tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thank you,
John

*** Received Command Line ***

"D:\EAC-LAME\Exact Audio Copy\mareo.exe" EAC "07-In God's Country.wav" "E:\Music\U2\The Joshua Tree\0tmp0(842.wav" "E:\Music\U2\The Joshua Tree\0tmp0(842.wav" "U2" "The Joshua Tree" "In God's Country" "7" "1987" "Alt. Rock"

*** Parsed Parameters ***

@program@ (%1) = EAC
@finalname@ (%2) = 07-In God's Country.wav
  @source@ (%3) = E:\Music\U2\The Joshua Tree\0tmp0(842.wav
    @dest@ (%4) = E:\Music\U2\The Joshua Tree\0tmp0(842.wav
  @artist@ (%5) = U2
  @cdname@ (%6) = The Joshua Tree
@songname@ (%7) = In God's Country
    @track@ (%8) = 7
    @year@ (%9) = 1987
    @genre@(%10) = Alt. Rock

*** PROCESSING LINE 1 ***

wav NONE NONE "D:\EAC-LAME\AtWavTag"  "@source@" "@dest@"

*** Track 1 Parameters ***

@extonly@ = wav
  @pathonly@ = E:\Music\U2\The Joshua Tree
  @nameonly@ = 0tmp0(842
  @fullname@ = E:\Music\U2\The Joshua Tree\0tmp0(842.wav

*** Final Name Parameters ***

Final Name Name Only = 07-In God's Country
Final Name Path Only = E:\Music\U2\The Joshua Tree
Final Name Full Name = E:\Music\U2\The Joshua Tree\07-In God's Country.wav

*** EXECUTING ***

"D:\EAC-LAME\AtWavTag"  "E:\Music\U2\The Joshua Tree\0tmp0(842.wav" "E:\Music\U2\The Joshua Tree\0tmp0(842.wav"

ERROR: "D:\EAC-LAME\AtWavTag"  "E:\Music\U2\The Joshua Tree\0tmp0(842.wav" "E:\Music\U2\The Joshua Tree\0tmp0(842.wav" returned

Reply #3
OK, so I just edited the above post. 

I've been at this for a few hours a day for several days now and I did manage to get the lame encoder to work in Mareo, but I am clueless as how to configure Mareo for AtWavTag!  So the above Mareo log file only concerns my failed attempt at the AtWavTag half of this task.  Please, please, please, could someone help me with this.  I understand how annoying newbies can be, and I am sorry for this! But at this point I don't know what else to do!

Thank you, John

Reply #4
wav NONE NONE "D:\EAC-LAME\AtWavTag" "@source@" "@dest@"

AtWavTag should have an extension, probably .exe, or .com, so the first and only problem i see is this, your line should look somehting like:

wav NONE NONE "D:\EAC-LAME\AtWavTag.EXE" "@source@" "@dest@"

or

wav NONE NONE "D:\EAC-LAME\AtWavTag.COM" "@source@" "@dest@"

Reply #6
Thanks Kwanbis - I'll give this a try tonight!

By any chance did you read here:

http://www.nas-kan.org/detritus/audiotron.shtml#ATWavTag

what Brian has to say about the problems with using AtWavTag in EAC?

page does not loads, do you have the text?

Reply #7
Kwanbis - that is odd that the page is not opening for you.  I just checked it at this end and it is opening for me.  In any case, here it is:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATWavTag
  AtWavTag is a program to manipulate the LIST/INFO tags in a RIFF compliant WAV file.  If executed without any parameters it will display the existing tags, otherwise it will add/replace the tags you specify on the command line.  One thing you should be warned about before you even think of using this program, I make no claims to being an expert in regards to RIFF files or the API calls to manipulate them.  I've done a little testing using files generated by AudioStation, Cool Edit 2000 and the Wave Recorder that comes with Windows.  So far I haven't destroyed any files, but I certainly haven't exercised it very hard either.  Also, WAV files are large and the only way to add these tags to them is by copying them to a new file while inserting the updated information.  This means that manipulating these tags is going to be SLOW!  I have tried to make sure that any tags or RIFF chunks that I'm not interested in are copied verbatim to the new file, so the only thing that should be altered is the five specific LIST/INFO tags that the AudioTron is interested in.

ATWavTag Source -Saturday, 08-Nov-2003 15:04:32 PST
http://www.nas-kan.org/detritus/ATWavTag.zip

ATWavTag Executable -Saturday, 08-Nov-2003 14:59:12 PST
http://www.nas-kan.org/detritus/ATWavTag.exe

Usage: ATWavTag [-Vbd] [-t track] [-T title] [-a album] [-A artist] [-G genre] filename

-V      Display the Version number, or in this case the compile date of the program.
   -d      Turn on debug messages in tag/chunk handling code.
   -b      Backup the exiting WAV file by renaming it to filename.bak (strongly recommended)
   -t track   The Turtle Beach specfic track number (non-standard)
   -T title   The title of the song
   -a album   The name of the album the song comes from
   -A artist   The artist who recorded the song
   -G genre   The genre of the music

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In an email exchange with the author of Exact Audio Copy, a program I highly recommend for ripping CD's to your computer, I asked him if he'd consider adding direct support to EAC for creating WAV files with RIFF tags.  His reply indicated he'd attempted that at one time but had found programs that couldn't handle RIFF tags as per the specification, so he'd removed the support.  He did however have a workaround for using my program to add those tagsafter EAC had created the WAV files.  With these config changes, EAC will create tagged WAV files whenever the "Compressed MP3" button is pushed.
   1)  Set "External encoder" to "User defined encoder".
   2)  Set program and path to ATWavTag.
   3)  Set command line options to '-t "%n" -T "%t" -a "%g" -A "%a" -G "%m" %s'
   4)  Deselect "Delete WAV after compression"
   5)  Deselect "Add ID3 Tag"

There are far more people writing utilities for the AudioTron than just me.  At least one person has taken on the task of trying to keep track of all of them and you can find even more utilities and links at his AudioTron related page:  http://www.tasman.nl/AT

Brian W. Antoine <briana@nas-kan.org>

Reply #8
Kwanbis - I put in the .exe and it still is creating an error.

What do you think?

MAREO - (M.)ultiple (A.)pplications (R.)unner for (E.)AC and (O.)thers.
v1.5.1 - Developed in Borland Delphi - Copyright 2003 - 2004 by Kwanbis.

Dedicated to the Hydrogenaudio community; EAC (best Free CD Ripper), CDex (best Open Source CD Ripper), foobar2000 (best Audio Player), Ogg Vorbis (best Open Source MP3 alternative) and LAME (best MP3 encoder) developers, and to Borland, for Delphi & Kylix, the very best Windows and Linux programming environments.

+++ FREE For Commercial and Non-Commercial Use +++

"D:\EAC-LAME\Exact Audio Copy\mareo.exe" EAC "02-Demolition Love.wav" "E:\Music\Arden, Jann\Living Under June\0tmp42660.wav" "E:\Music\Arden, Jann\Living Under June\0tmp42660.mp3" "Arden, Jann" "Living Under June" "Demolition Love" "2" "1993" "Rock"

@program@ (%1) = EAC
@finalname@ (%2) = 02-Demolition Love.wav
  @source@ (%3) = E:\Music\Arden, Jann\Living Under June\0tmp42660.wav
    @dest@ (%4) = E:\Music\Arden, Jann\Living Under June\0tmp42660.mp3
  @artist@ (%5) = Arden, Jann
  @cdname@ (%6) = Living Under June
@songname@ (%7) = Demolition Love
    @track@ (%8) = 2
    @year@ (%9) = 1993
    @genre@(%10) = Rock

wav NONE NONE "D:\EAC-LAME\AtWavTag.exe"  "@source@" "@dest@"

@extonly@ = wav
  @pathonly@ = E:\Music\Arden, Jann\Living Under June
  @nameonly@ = 0tmp42660
  @fullname@ = E:\Music\Arden, Jann\Living Under June\0tmp42660.wav

Final Name Name Only = 02-Demolition Love
Final Name Path Only = E:\Music\Arden, Jann\Living Under June
Final Name Full Name = E:\Music\Arden, Jann\Living Under June\02-Demolition Love.wav

*** EXECUTING ***

"D:\EAC-LAME\AtWavTag.exe"  "E:\Music\Arden, Jann\Living Under June\0tmp42660.wav" "E:\Music\Arden, Jann\Living Under June\0tmp42660.mp3"

ERROR: "D:\EAC-LAME\AtWavTag.exe"  "E:\Music\Arden, Jann\Living Under June\0tmp42660.wav" "E:\Music\Arden, Jann\Living Under June\0t

The AtWavTag command line needs to go somewhere, but I don't think this next try is correct either!

"D:\EAC-LAME\Exact Audio Copy\mareo.exe" EAC "03-Looking For It (Finding Heaven).wav" "E:\Music\Arden, Jann\Living Under June\0tmp-!556.wav" "E:\Music\Arden, Jann\Living Under June\0tmp-!556.mp3" "Arden, Jann" "Living Under June" "Looking For It (Finding Heaven)" "3" "1993" "Rock"

@program@ (%1) = EAC
@finalname@ (%2) = 03-Looking For It (Finding Heaven).wav
  @source@ (%3) = E:\Music\Arden, Jann\Living Under June\0tmp-!556.wav
    @dest@ (%4) = E:\Music\Arden, Jann\Living Under June\0tmp-!556.mp3
  @artist@ (%5) = Arden, Jann
  @cdname@ (%6) = Living Under June
@songname@ (%7) = Looking For It (Finding Heaven)
    @track@ (%8) = 3
    @year@ (%9) = 1993
    @genre@(%10) = Rock

wav NONE NONE "D:\EAC-LAME\AtWavTag.exe" -t "%n" -T "%t" -a"%g" -A"%a" -G"%m" %s "@source@" "@dest@"

@extonly@ = wav
  @pathonly@ = E:\Music\Arden, Jann\Living Under June
  @nameonly@ = 0tmp-!556
  @fullname@ = E:\Music\Arden, Jann\Living Under June\0tmp-!556.wav

Final Name Name Only = 03-Looking For It (Finding Heaven)
Final Name Path Only = E:\Music\Arden, Jann\Living Under June
Final Name Full Name = E:\Music\Arden, Jann\Living Under June\03-Looking For It (Finding Heaven).wav

*** EXECUTING ***

"D:\EAC-LAME\AtWavTag.exe" -t "%n" -T "%t" -a"%g" -A"%a" -G"%m" %s "E:\Music\Arden, Jann\Living Under June\0tmp-!556.wav" "E:\Music\Arden, Jann\Living Under June\0tmp-!556.mp3"

ERROR: "D:\EAC-LAME\AtWavTag.exe" -t "%n" -T "%t" -a"%g" -A"%a" -G"%m" %s "E:\Music\Arden, Jann\Living Under June\0tmp-!556.wav" "E:\Music\Arden, Jann\Living Under June\0tmp-!556.mp3" returned the error code -1

Reply #9
How bout ripping the wav's like you normally would and then using razorlame or another frontend to encode (some support taging from filename, others (razorlame) do not).  If you still need to tag the mp3's check out tag and speaks frontend for tag.  Tag will add tags from existing filenames.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #10
I will be purchasing an iPod soon to play MP3 files.

A small suggestion, if I may: I would encode to AAC/MP4 if I were to get an iPod.
It has some advantages over MP3 and it looks to be the most likely candidate to take MP3's place in the future.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #11
ok, i'm just downloading the ATWavTag.exe file, and would try it myself,  the second param looks better, as you can see, it return an errorlevel, so at least it is executing.

Reply #12
How bout ripping the wav's like you normally would and then using razorlame or another frontend to encode (some support taging from filename, others (razorlame) do not).

Dreamliner77 - Yes, I have tried Razorlame and the info did not show up in the tag.  What other frontend program should I try?

If you still need to tag the mp3's check out tag and speaks frontend for tag.  Tag will add tags from existing filenames.

What is this and do you have a link?

Thanks, John

Reply #13
I will be purchasing an iPod soon to play MP3 files.

A small suggestion, if I may: I would encode to AAC/MP4 if I were to get an iPod.
It has some advantages over MP3 and it looks to be the most likely candidate to take MP3's place in the future.

AtaqueEG - Is this true? It has been my impression from reading many posts in this forum as well as others that MP3 Lame "alt-preset extreme" is better than AAC at comparable bit rates.  I don't mean to start a whole debate here but it was my understanding that this has been proven by double-blind tests.  Yes?

I am definitely a newbie and I am counting on the wise counsel of all of you!

Thanks, John

Reply #14
ok, i'm just downloading the ATWavTag.exe file, and would try it myself,  the second param looks better, as you can see, it return an errorlevel, so at least it is executing.

Kwanbis - I am looking forward to seeing your results.

Thanks, John