Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why am I now: Warn: (0%) ? (Read 8764 times) previous topic - next topic

Why am I now: Warn: (0%) ?

I guess there were some changes done to the site the other night when it was offline for a while.  I found my avatar missing when I got access back, and got it set up again.

But why am I now listed as 'Warn: (0%)'??  Have I done something to offend?

Shel
Geopoliticus Child Watching the Birth of the New Man

Reply #1
0% means you are OK, heh, it`s better than 100%

Reply #2
Not yet. 
Nov schmoz kapop.

Reply #3
It's just everyone see himself 0% only that's why. For others who got no warning there's nothing. There used to be nothing for myself too as long as I am not warned but this changed with the update. Now you see 0% after you're logged in.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #4
It's just everyone see himself 0% only that's why. For others who got no warning there's nothing. There used to be nothing for myself too as long as I am not warned but this changed with the update. Now you see 0% after you're logged in.

This seems to have come about as a result of of some glitches that popped up when the site was overhauled the other night.  It looks like that warning wasn't supposed to be displayed at a 0%.  Even some developers commented on it appearing below their avatar.  See posts in Validated news

Shel

Reply #5

This seems to have come about as a result of of some glitches that popped up when the site was overhauled the other night.  It looks like that warning wasn't supposed to be displayed at a 0%.  Even some developers commented on it appearing below their avatar.  See posts in Validated news

The fact that nobody saw their own warning level until they have been warned was just a custom hack for our forum. Now the hack wasn't applied anymore, to make maintenance easier. So the current behaviour is no glitch, it's the IPB default.

Reply #6
I love the new warning indicater. I've just been warned for a comment I made over a year ago. I'll probably be warned for this post.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #7
I love the new warning indicater. I've just been warned for a comment I made over a year ago. I'll probably be warned for this post.

This most certainly isn't over one year ago. If you have a problem with moderation's decisions, please send a private message to an admin/moderator for an explaination, instead of complaining publicly.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #8
Thanks, but I wasn't referring to that particular warning.

Edit: Never mind, apparently I was warned in August, for something I said last November, and then that warning was retracted, but none of it ever showed up until now with the new board upgrades.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #9
I guess there were some changes done to the site the other night when it was offline for a while.  I found my avatar missing when I got access back, and got it set up again.

Shel

I've heart that this is necessary due to the "Homeland Security Office".
Every person must be evaluated and this must be published so everybody can read this.
Persons reaching 100% will be replaced by a naked image.

When such a counter exist, it should not be published!
This is a web forum, not a world wide pillory!
Diocletian

Time Travel Agency
Book a journey to the Diocletian Palace. Not today!

Reply #10

Shel

Every person must be evaluated and this must be published so everybody can read this.

Oh please... give me a break.

This issue has been discussed to death once already, and it's not going to happen again.  The decision to use the warning system has been made and it has been in place for quite some time already.  This is not going to change.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the warning of each member is no longer displayed to all members, but only to the member himself and to the administration and moderation team.

Reply #11
I see a 0% warning marker on my own posts, and only on them. Is there any particular reason for this or is it a bug?

Reply #12
I see a 0% warning marker on my own posts, and only on them. Is there any particular reason for this or is it a bug?

It's supposed to be that way; read Dibrom's post.

Reply #13

Have a look at the last sentece written before your post by Dibrom. It's no bug. Reason(s): The advantages of publicly visible warning levels (e.g. group pressure to make people behave) were found to be less important than the advantages of keeping warning levels private (e.g. less flaming, less unnecessary discussion). The changes are caused by forum software update are only *visible*, the system has stayed the same for some months now.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #14

You're being paranoid over the wrong things, my friend.
In fact I don't even know if you're joking or not.

Reply #15
Whats with the "warn" thing against my name?

All others seem to have vanished.

(sorry Dibrom, I saw in a post that you "requested a break")

auldyin

Reply #16
Whats with the "warn" thing against my name?

All others seem to have vanished.

(sorry Dibrom, I saw in a post that you "requested a break")

auldyin

How about reading the entire thread before posting?

Reply #17
Have a look at the last sentece written before your post by Dibrom. It's no bug.

Oh, I missed that - thanks.

Reply #18

For anyone reading this who hasn't figured it out yet:  If you log out of your Hydrogen account, and then go to a message you've posted, you can confirm what Dibrom has written in this thread:

Oh, and for what it's worth, the warning of each member is no longer displayed to all members, but only to the member himself and to the administration and moderation team.

You will not see your warn level after you log out.  Thanks to getID3() for helping me figure this out a while back.

Shel

Reply #19
erm.. hi. does the warning fall in time or can it never go down again? this seems quite harsh, to have to sign up for a new account? i assume you can do that right, and warning seems a bit pointless if the user has got the point (like when they didn't know they were doing anything wrong before getting the warning..) Are you expected to msg the mod who gave you the warning? (or is that likely to just give you another warning.. bearing in mind its zZzZzZz ..) 

Reply #20
erm.. hi. does the warning fall in time or can it never go down again? this seems quite harsh, to have to sign up for a new account? i assume you can do that right, and warning seems a bit pointless if the user has got the point (like when they didn't know they were doing anything wrong before getting the warning..) Are you expected to msg the mod who gave you the warning? (or is that likely to just give you another warning.. bearing in mind its zZzZzZz ..) 

Following the TOS strictly, you deserve another warning for what you just did (your post got edited, you got warned, you publicly complain somewhere else; TOS #13).
Also following the TOS (#12), you will be either warned again or (more likely) instantly banned if you register a new account, especially if you do that to evade warning.
Please read Terms of Service before writing another useless post.
Other than that, your warning level will go down if you manage not to violate the TOS or create another kind of disturbance during about one month.

Reply #21
erm.. hi. does the warning fall in time or can it never go down again?

It doesn't fall automatically, but if your further behaviour shows that you've got the point, your warning level will be lowered by some mod. I, for example, regularly check the warning logs (if warning level is > 0%) of users when reading their posts. If last entry is from > 1 month ago, I browse recent posts. If they show that the user has got the point, I decrease warning level.
to have to sign up for a new account?

Having more than 1 account isn't allowed, but if you're willing to read, understand + follow the rules, you don't have to worry about this anyway.
i assume you can do that right, and warning seems a bit pointless if the user has got the point (like when they didn't know they were doing anything wrong before getting the warning..)

As I said above, if the user has got the point this will be visible by his further behaviour here - and the warning will be removed. We don't have things here like a n00b forum where ppl have to post until they get full member status, a time delay between sign-up and ability to post or similar. On the other hand it's expected from (new) users to read and understand the forum rules before posting, a 1st warning can be regarded as a very effective way to point a user's attention to this.

Are you expected to msg the mod who gave you the warning?

No, but if you still don't understand why you have been warned (after (re-)reading the rules and the warning log) you can do this
or is that likely to just give you another warning

Depends on the attitude you show when doing it.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #22
zZzZz, i was asking how the system worked, not complaining. yesterday, i was trying to help you, not be annoying. sorry this seems to not be coming across as such. i am sensitive and feel i have been wrongly treated, which is why i make this post. i'll probably post less because i don't enjoy this.

again, sorry. it's a shame you and i don't get on as i have a lot of respect for you as a coder and appreciate your work and i don't understand why you seem so angry. that's all, bye.

Reply #23
I especially like it how zZz gives out warnings out side of his fb200K section, I got one for stating (as a developer) that I thought mp3 files promoted in mp4 containers was an awful idea, talk about not taking other peoples opinions - the word troll is used as much as terrorist is these days.

So my question is, is zZz an oficial moderator outside FB, I have never seen an announcement to such an effect.

Reply #24
I especially like it how zZz gives out warnings out side of his fb200K section, I got one for stating (as a developer) that I thought mp3 files promoted in mp4 containers was an awful idea, talk about not taking other peoples opinions - the word troll is used as much as terrorist is these days.

So my question is, is zZz an oficial moderator outside FB, I have never seen an announcement to such an effect.

FYI, I am a site admin.
Topic closed since this is falling into "what I got warned for" bragging, and I'm not going to get into discussion what is trolling and what isn't.