Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Which mp3 plugin? (Read 41575 times) previous topic - next topic

Which mp3 plugin?

I have 3 different plugins: in_mp3pro.dll, in_mad.dll, in_mpg123.dll.

Is one of these better than the other, as I can't hear any difference. The player is 1by1.

Which mp3 plugin?

Reply #1
"in_mp3pro.dll" supports mp3PRO files. If you don't use any mp3PRO files, don't use it.
"in_mad.dll" is an integer only MP3 decoder. It is good for slow PCs.
"in_mpg123.dll" is the decoder foobar2000 uses AFAIK. I would use that one. The current version supports reading of APEv2 tags and is capabile of gapless playback IIRC.

Which mp3 plugin?

Reply #2

Umm.. eh? The MAD decoder uses more cpu cycles than in_mpg123 and in_mp3pro, and also in_mp3 in winamp, etc. So why would it be better for slow PC's then?.
myspace.com/borgei - last.fm/user/borgei

Which mp3 plugin?

Reply #3
I have no mp3Pro files, so I guess this plugin is out.

in_mad could be good for me (presuming you're correct about it being good for slow PC's) as I don't have no flashy PC, it's 1100Mhz Duron powered  This is the plugin I usually use. But what does "integer" mean? Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this word.

As for in_mpg123, well I found 3 versions of this right here: http://www3.cypress.ne.jp/otachan/in_mpg123.html

But I have no idea what the difference is between them. I chose the top one, in_mpg123_118ot60a.zip Ver. 1.18y ot60a (327KB) (2004/1/17), and what drew me to this was another thread I saw which said mpg123 could play back mp3 gapless in Winamp, so I downloaded it because I occasionally use Winamp, but mainly to see if it did anything at all in 1by1. The thread I'm referring to is here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....0&&#entry152918

Thanks for the help.

Which mp3 plugin?

Reply #4
Oh, sorry! My bad...

The MAD plugin should be used for CPUs without a FPU.

Edit: Wait a second... It uses more CPU cycles, but calculating with integers is faster than calculating with decimals.

Which mp3 plugin?

Reply #5
OK.

What's an FPU?

LOL...

Which mp3 plugin?

Reply #7
Haha... no shit... OK!

How do I know if I have an FPU? Sorry for being a pain in the ass!!

Which mp3 plugin?

Reply #8
Good luck finding a machine without FPU, anything starting from pentium has FPU on-chip, and anything below it is probably too slow to decode MP3
Older machines (pentium-class) have relatively slow FPUs, integer-based decoder will perform better there, but AFAIK in_mp3 is integer-based too (and much faster than MAD). mpg123 performs faster on Athlon-class or P2-class or newer machines.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Which mp3 plugin?

Reply #9
You can always disable the 'Numeric data processor' under a Win 32 OS 
Dimitris

Which mp3 plugin?

Reply #10
Most 486s also had an FPU, though Intel sold 486s with the FPU disabled as well.

386s also had FPU, but it was a seperate chip.  Back then it cost hundreds just to be able to run fp numbers.

Which mp3 plugin?

Reply #11
386s also had FPU, but it was a seperate chip.  Back then it cost hundreds just to be able to run fp numbers.

386 with fpu = 387  ..i remember i had a 386 16mhz, and then got a fpu and stuck in, suddenly things became *fast* 
myspace.com/borgei - last.fm/user/borgei

Which mp3 plugin?

Reply #12
Most 486s also had an FPU, though Intel sold 486s with the FPU disabled as well.

And here goes the Time Machine... (to the "age" where only CAD programs uses the FPU )
Code: [Select]
386 DX: full 32bits system*, optional separated FPU
386 SX: 32bits cpu, 16bit memory bus (slower), optional separated FPU

486 DX: full 32bits system*, FPU integrated at cpu chip
486 SX: full 32bits system*, no FPU

* ISA BUS excluded.

Which mp3 plugin?

Reply #13
"in_mp3pro.dll" supports mp3PRO files. If you don't use any mp3PRO files, don't use it.
"in_mpg123.dll" is the decoder foobar2000 uses AFAIK. I would use that one. The current version supports reading of APEv2 tags and is capabile of gapless playback IIRC.

any idea where i could find the mpg123.dll plugin?? i would love foobars gapless playback in winamp. the link above is in japanese and i cant tell what im looking at. 

anyone have experience with this plugin? is it as good as the standard winamp plugin?

Which mp3 plugin?

Reply #15
in_mpg123_118ot60a.zip Ver. 1.18y ot60a (327KB) (2004/1/17)
in_mpg123_118ot60asse.zip Ver. 1.18y ot60a SSE (327KB) (2004/1/17)
in_mpg123_118ot60asse2.zip Ver. 1.18y ot60a SSE2 (328KB) (2004/1/17)

But which one is best!!?

Which mp3 plugin?

Reply #16
Cool, MP3-Gapless-Support in Winamp5 (with this plug-in).

Or am I wrong ?
FLAC --> MP3 (Lame 3.96.1: V5 --athaa-sensitivity 1)

Which mp3 plugin?

Reply #17
But which one is best!!?

If you don't use a Pentium III, Pentium 4, or an Athlon XP, get the first one.
If you use a Pentium III or Athlon XP system, get the SSE one.
If you use a Pentium 4, get the SSE2 one.

edit: If your CPU isn't one of the above, but supports SSE or SSE2, then use the appropriate build, please.

Which mp3 plugin?

Reply #18
Thanks. I use a crappy Duron 1100  but it does have SSE.

Which mp3 plugin?

Reply #19
SSE Version works in Winamp 2.91 also.

Which mp3 plugin?

Reply #20
386 with fpu = 387

Nope, the i387 was the fpu itself.

Which mp3 plugin?

Reply #21

Which mp3 plugin?

Reply #22
Cool, MP3-Gapless-Support in Winamp5 (with this plug-in).

Or am I wrong ?

I think that only with lame with gapless parameters files. Foobar can play gapless any mp3 files.
Living forevermore, leaving today, back to my place, I've got: Nothing to say!

Which mp3 plugin?

Reply #23
Hmm, just encoded a few files from flac with foobar and lame (3.95.1) to MP3, but Winamp5 doesn't play gapless with the mp123-plug-in. 

Have anyone any idea, what could help ?

Thanks !
FLAC --> MP3 (Lame 3.96.1: V5 --athaa-sensitivity 1)

Which mp3 plugin?

Reply #24
The player is 1by1.

1by1 ( http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~pesch/ ) will currently use any mp3 ACM codec or mpglib.dll or any Winamp 2.x (5.x) input plug to decode mp3. So you have even more options too choose from than:
in_mp3pro.dll, in_mad.dll, in_mpg123.dll.

Like e.g Nullsoft in_mp3.dll or Lame ACM codec or ...
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts