Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iRiver IMP-250, IMP-350 Ogg Vorbis support is out! (Read 8122 times) previous topic - next topic

iRiver IMP-250, IMP-350 Ogg Vorbis support is out!

Finally the promise of the IMP-350 manual to support Ogg Vorbis comes true though a year and a half after the format got to version 1.0...

Supported bitrates are: 96-160.. which is is basically useless to me anyway since none of the files that I have are in this bitrate range.

Download locations are:

Imp 250
http://service.iriver.co.kr/pds/view.asp?i...&p_name=iMP-250
Imp 250 China Ver
http://service.iriver.co.kr/down/iriver_pd...hina-v260b2.zip
Imp 350
http://service.iriver.co.kr/down/iriver_pd...0kor-v260b2.zip
Imp 350 China Ver
http://service.iriver.co.kr/down/iriver_pd...hina-v260b2.zip
Imp 400
http://service.iriver.co.kr/down/iriver_pd...0kor-v160b2.zip
My endian is bigger than yours.

Reply #1
it's a start at least

(let's hope it's not a false start)

Reply #2
pretty useless, I've got to transcode anyway.. my files are WAY above 160. Guess it's back to tried and safe --aps
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Reply #3
If I might guess the bitrate limitation is there because they still decided to keep WMA in the firmware...

So this firmware supports: mp3, wma & ogg vorbis.

None of the files @ -q 6.0 that I had on my cds play...  interesting to see some korean symbols instead of latin letters (korean is default language but you can set it to english).

I wonder if all the crap is removed from the firmware like:
- support for billion languages
- WMA playback
it will be possible to play all possible Ogg Vorbis files.

Edit: It seems that if song starts with bitrate in the allowed rage whole song is played fine! Listening now to Elton John - Made In England - Belfast with average bitrate 167... before I played Believe fine as well and its bitrate was 177... However Latitude (average bitrate 171) now causes weird sonical problems probably when gets to very high bitrates. It seems that it will be possible to play files in -q 5.0 and -q 5.5 or even higher in some cases on quiet music

Reply #4
Quick test:

Grabbed the first found wav file and encoded it with different -q levels (AC/DC - Sin City):

-1 - NO
0  - NO
1  - NO
2  - NO
3  - YES
4  - YES
5  - YES (with sound clipping and some other artefacts)
6  - NO

Hm... I wish -q2 was working  but I guess limit from below is much more strict then from above.

Reply #5
I've tried this firmware with my IMP-350 using -q 4 with a couple albums and so far so good - no glitches or any other problems yet. I'll test other -q values tomorrow.

Reply #6
No glitches at -q 4, true. But playback is not gapless, like on every other iRiver player, which makes this firmware as interesting as watching ants play strip poker. Verdict: too little, too late.
And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the ***** of an alien

Reply #7
I used my Iriver on the way to school today with some old .oggs as I have switched over to using MP3 after I bought my first portable.
So far, no gaps noticed, still surprised how these Vorbis files sound at poor ~106kbps compared to the crappy 128kbps MP3 you find in the internet these days...

Reply #8
I have noticed that on the beginning of some tracks some glitches occur. It typically would only occur within the first 5 seconds. That's with -q 4, perhaps the bitrate was too low at those points in the song.

Reply #9
I've tried this firmware with my IMP-350 using -q 4 with a couple albums and so far so good - no glitches or any other problems yet. I'll test other -q values tomorrow.

I have an "english" IMP-350, thinking about trying this firmware soonish.

But isn't this the korean firmware version (ie not english) though?

Reply #10

It's meant for korean versions I guess, but it seems identical to the other official English versions of the firmware I normally put on my IMP-350. It other words it works fine on my US IMP-350.

Reply #11

It's meant for korean versions I guess, but it seems identical to the other official English versions of the firmware I normally put on my IMP-350. It other words it works fine on my US IMP-350.

Thanks I'll try soon. I assume you also mean to say, that you don't see any Korean characters, and that all characters are in English. 

Cheers,

Reply #12

Thanks I'll try soon. I assume you also mean to say, that you don't see any Korean characters, and that all characters are in English. 

Cheers,

I was sort of expecting to see the display in Korean when it started, but no it defaulted for me in English. Like I said, it seems idetical to other English firmwares I used before.

Reply #13
The new firmware for the IMP-250/350/400 is also available at the iRiver International download site
The bitrate limitation seems to been unchanged :
-   The OGG Vorbis format provides a greater sound quality than the MP3 files. This version is capable of playing the OGG Vorbis format files with a bit rate from 96 ~ 160Kbps(average).

Reply #14
i would think 96 ~ 160Kbps ogg support would be fine for most people.. isn't that where OGG is useful anyway?

Reply #15
Hola

I think that the bitrate limit refers to encodings between Q2 (96 kbps nominal rate) and Q6 (192 kbps).

At least none of the songs I tried (mostly Pop and Latin music) fail to be played on my iRiver 250 at those bitrates.

I know it sounds silly

Reply #16
hmm, why can't they support bitrates above 160? that's a pretty ridiculous limitation.

ok, so I have a few questions

1. is it gapless? that alone makes a transcode worth it

2. what is the impact on battery life?

Reply #17
hmm, why can't they support bitrates above 160? that's a pretty ridiculous limitation.

ok, so I have a few questions

1. is it gapless? that alone makes a transcode worth it

2. what is the impact on battery life?

1. No, it's not gapless
2. Not sure, I always use external batteries, but I would assume it takes more battery power as I understand Vorbis decoding takes more processor time than say MP3 decoding.

Reply #18
I notice that iRiver has now released a second beta of their 2.60 Vorbis-capable firmware for the iMP series. I'm on the road right now, so it will be a few days before I can test my own player extensively, but has anyone tried playing a chained Ogg file with the new firmware? If so, does it properly read the chained tags, and does this method enable gapless playback?

- M.

Edit: For anyone who is new enough to the forum that you haven't seen "chained" Oggs, they are simply standard Ogg files (with proper Vorbis comments) which have been concatenated in the following manner:
Code: [Select]
copy /b mymusic01.ogg+mymusic02.ogg+mymusic03.ogg myjoinedmusic.ogg

Reply #19
anyone know if it's possible to turn off the VIS (option menu?) in IMP series firmware?

Reply #20
Any updates in Firmware (selective ogg or wma support should increase playable -q level?)
Planning to buy an cheap imp as soon as -q 7 is supported