Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Plextor Premium vs. Plextor 708A for DAE (Read 4147 times) previous topic - next topic

Plextor Premium vs. Plextor 708A for DAE

I would like to buy a Plextor drive for ripping my CD collection. The main concern to me is the DAE quality of the drive.
At CDRInfo there is a review of the 2 drives with the following results:This makes that the 708A drive is better then the Premium.

But at http://www.alientech.it we have the following results:Here the Premium performs better 

What do I have to conclude?
Which drive is the best for doing DAE?

many thx

Reply #1
I doubt it really matters.  I would be searching for a drive that handles CDS200 and similar copy protections well.  For a start, read here and here.

Reply #2
I would choose,

Premium for use with Plextools

708A for use with EAC

I use EAC not because of error detection/correction but just becasue it's so easy to input album info, encode, tag, gap detection, CUE sheets.

In my experience there is little gain in buying Plextor drives for use in EAC. If you are looking for extraction speed the Sony 220E has scored 99-100% in every C2 test I have seen & all scores high in DAE quality tests.

You can buy 2 burners for the price of a Plextor maybe one that can handle copy protected CD's well & a high scoring DAE drive, Plextor isn't the only one.

Reply #3
In my experience there is little gain in buying Plextor drives for use in EAC. If you are looking for extraction speed the Sony 220E has scored 99-100% in every C2 test I have seen & all scores high in DAE quality tests.

Which is an OEM LiteOn, that is ...
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #4

Which is an OEM LiteOn, that is ... 

Firmwares may affect C2 accuracy.

Reply #5
Firmwares may affect C2 accuracy.

I really doubt that Sony Firmwares are better (in terms of error correction/reporting abilities) than the ones LiteOn releases (I think their firmwares are just the same BTW, disregarding bootcode and vendor-specific information) ... and IMO, there is no need to pay 25% more for a bootcode that shows "Sony" instead of "LiteOn" ...

But I agree ... LiteOn CDRW drives are a very good choice for ripping with EAC in burst or secure mode (their DVD drives are believed to be even better) ... and the benefit of Plextools Pro's extra features is no longer valid since K-Probe is widely available ...

If you need features like GigaRec or SecuRec, you will need to buy the Premium ... (which is a brilliant CDRW drive and overreads and overwrites Lead-In/Out from my personal experience) ... if DVD writing is an issue, go for the 708A ... but be aware that neither Premium or 708A will be able to outperform a cheap LiteOn 52x CDRW when it comes to plain DAE with EAC (although my Premium managed to rescue some discs with Plextools Pro in my case where EAC completely failed with any drive).
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #6
thx for the feedback!

I already own a Plextor W2410, but I thought that maybe the newer
drives would perform better for DAE. I guess it is not worth it to
invest in a newer Plextor but maybe in a LiteOn drive?

Reply #7
The LiteOn DVD+RW LDW401S can read Key2Audio, CDS200 & is the best scoring drive on error correction tests I have seen.