Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Donation for Frank Klemm's new PC (Read 88942 times) previous topic - next topic

Donation for Frank Klemm's new PC

A donation? What is it for?

ChristianHJW spoke to Frank Klemm, the long-time developer of MPC who took over from Andree Buschmann, and he found out that Frank's PC is out of order. Its certainly not like he didn't have the money to repair it, no. But you maybe know this feeling: There is something you have to do, say repair the car, but you can't find your toolbox anymore. This is all so frustrating, as you know its a lot of work and even the first necessity to start working on it is missing, you decide to take the bus instead...

This wasn't the only reason that he didn't continue to program like he used to. But our hope is that with a new, fully setup PC for him we could give him the 'tool' to actually start coding again and show him that we REALLY do care about his work, and appreciate his outstanding work on MPC. Frank confirmed that he will accept the PC.

So what could result from this?

When Frank will be productive again with a new PC, we will likely see a finalized SV 7.5 of MPC. He may also pick up work on SV8 again, or concentrate on something completely different. Whatever he will do, we are sure that he will put this PC to good use, and that the work of this gifted programmer will benefit the community. However, don't think of this as a payment and obligation for him to immediately program something. It is rather an acknowledgement and a chance.

The donation has ended. For any questions about a pending donation, PM me.

List of people who donated:

rpop, sthayashi, indybrett, MachineHead, jrj, sv3n, seanyseansean, grombulk, ddrawley, Zao, kdo, sozinterror, BennyX, Tomb, ChristianHJW, JohnV, user, lostgallifreyan, scottc, Spoon, Rommel, Floydian Slip, TURBO, Guruboolez, atici, NumLOCK, tanfenton, ancl, Beast1979, Lazarus, honz318712, Dologan, pj, ears, Ariakis, DotNoir, sshd, qristus, Ganymed, harashin, AgentMil, BetaBoy/CoreCodec, huanjo, Treefingers, Jack Comics, Download-This, synchros, AndyMutz, Dibrom/Hydrogenaudio.org, RodoDendro, Destroid, NickSD, S_O, damjang, TheBashar, Loke, DM-UK, 2Bdecided, Ivan Dimkovic, Sunhillow, Toroco, tiki4, ff123, Entr_opy, j8ee, Lev, ssamadhi97, alancienne/xtrem-audio.com, md`, hödyr, robUx4, Doctor, Gecko, Radioactive Man, Wombat, s.tsuyoshi, Tri, JensRex, zegilles, jasnic02, SometimesWarrior, donovansmith, Halcyon, Case, Guigui, anishbenji, Supachikn, Tronic, music_man_mpc, Vertigo, Discantus, Frodoontop, Deimos

(There have been anonymous donations.)

Thank you all very much for your support!

Reply #1
We had to upgrade the PayPal account to a Premium account in order to accept all donations. Also, please don't donate an amount less than 1 Euro, since PayPal would eat up most of it with the donation fee.

Thank you so much for all the donations so far! The post will be updated with all donations!

Reply #2
So, lets see if all the people who promised to donate in the first poll remember what they said they will give for Frank's new PC  .....

Reply #3
So, lets see if all the people who promised to donate in the first poll remember what they said they will give for Frank's new PC  .....

I never voted either way.

I did however put my money where I believe it will do some good for anyone interested in this.

If Mr. Klemm decides to pick this up and go again it would be great.

Thanks CiTay for doing something about it.

Reply #4
A stupid question:
Is there a way to donate without credit card? Ya know, these aren't so common among old europeans 
Transfer to a german bank account would be ideal

Reply #5
I'm still going to donate my soundcard, and once I get my paycheck I will donate some money as well.

Reply #6
Sweet!  I was wondering when this was going to happen.  I have a new credit card coming in the mail, I'll donate as soon as it arrives!

edit changed knew to new 
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Reply #7
A stupid question:
Is there a way to donate without credit card? Ya know, these aren't so common among old europeans  
Transfer to a german bank account would be ideal

Of course, send me a private message and i will give you the necessary details. As mentioned, bank transfers within the EU don't cost more than national transfers.

Reply #8
Interesting to see how long it will take to reach 1150 euros. Even HA hasn't received that much from donations yet.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #9
To JohnV, point taken, donation made.

To CiTay, donation made, thanks for coordinating this.

Reply #10
I voted for 10 ?/$ but I havent a creditcard, so....
Sorry! Is there any other way?

Big_Berny

Reply #11
I voted for 10 ?/$ but I havent a creditcard, so....
Sorry! Is there any other way?

Big_Berny

Yes, send me a Private Message for bank transfer details.

Reply #12
Interesting to see how long it will take to reach 1150 euros. Even HA hasn't received that much from donations yet.

Agreed. Fixed (for me anyway).
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #13
It seems there are people reluctant to donate because we havent announced what hardware gets chosen.

Rest assured we are in a close dialogue with Frank about what parts can be reused from his old PC, and what new parts he wants to have. The decision is his, not ours ....

Reply #14
I will throw in €20 when you have collected €500.

Reply #15
my 2 € cents are done
(wasn't counted in the poll, due to view = null vote)
yeah, my old PayPal account seems to have been useful at least once. well, what i said earlier, to use paypal, you had to get the premium account.
btw, how much does it 'eat' ?

Reply #16
Thank you very much for all your donations! It goes along very well.

btw, how much does it 'eat' ?

Fees already made up more than 17 Euros so far. The previous prediction for the fees didn't include the extra 1% fee for payments from foreign countries (i.e. for payments from the USA in US $). Total fees could grow to over 70 Euros.

Reply #17
I wouldn't cap it at 1100, just get a better PC if it goes over...

If my wife would let me (not a chance  ) for programming two LCDs would help (not sure linux can have 2 screens like XP?), then the source and debugging is on one screen and program running on the other.

Anyhow, dig deep people MPC is useful.

Reply #18

Right, although I wouldn't expect the donation speed to continue this fast, CiTay said that he will consider raising the target to maybe 1350.
Gotta admit that it's been quite impressive. 369 € in about 4 hours, so far.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #19

Points well taken. I was just waiting for HA to setup other payment option than Paypal. Due to my previous experience and my personal stance against Paypal, I didn't want to use Paypal. But since I opened one account (again!) to donate for Frank Klemm, I took this opportunity to give my share to HA community as well.

IMHO, we shouldn't limit the contribution amount. This way we may be able to add some niceties when we have enough fund in addition to the original plan. Moreover, some late comers who won't see this post before the donation period closed, may feel to be left out in this party of giving something back to Frank.
-- Floydian Slip

Reply #20
Yeah, unbelievable! That's great! 

Reply #21

Right, although I wouldn't expect the donation speed to continue this fast, CiTay said that he will consider raising the target to maybe 1350.
Gotta admit that it's been quite impressive. 369 € in about 4 hours, so far.

I dont believe we will easily reach over the original target we set, but i'd like to be surprised positively of course. Even if we wouldnt reach the target at all, i am convinced we could still build a pretty nice machine for him, so the project would not be in question at all because of that.

Actually, i am more and more looking forward to the day when we ring on Frank's door and bring him the new baby. Expect a series of pretty nice pictures about this day being published here from my side, so you will finally have the chance to see how your hero is looking like  .... LOL .....

Reply #22
I really enjoy using Musepack, and I feel it is right to give something back.

Yet 50€ more for a good cause 

Reply #23
MPC, the best since the beginning. GO Frank! 

Reply #24
MPC, the best since the beginning. GO Frank! 

Yes let's forget about the forum rules just for this thread and rave freely about MPC!
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.