Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bringing together Vorbis developers (Read 4011 times) previous topic - next topic

Bringing together Vorbis developers

Since there are people like nyaochi and aoyumi who are working to improve Vorbis, it would be a good idea to form some sort of Vorbis Developers Group where all of us can share knowledge and ideas and collaborate on improving Vorbis in areas most critical to its success like fixing quality problems or making a coupled 5.1 channel Vorbis, etc.

As for details, I haven't thought much about it since it's just an idea that came up.  As the saying goes, 'many hands make light work'.  I'm not sure if there are any other people who are interested but perhaps when things get started, they'll start coming.

Anyway, I'm open for ideas.

Reply #1
As the other saying goes, "too many cooks spoil the broth"  but it makes sense. the custom vorbis builds that are around are numerous and confusing to some ppl (like me) and personally I'd welcome having all the tallent working together on one tuned version of vorbis.

Reply #2
Setting up a single sourceforge (or similiar) project to coordinate the independent Vorbis development efforts seems like a good plan and I was actually just about to PM you about exactly that QuantumKnot.
Maybe Christian/Corecodec is interested in this too and could provide resources?
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #3
Setting up a single sourceforge (or similiar) project to coordinate the independent Vorbis development efforts seems like a good plan and I was actually just about to PM you about exactly that QuantumKnot.
Maybe Christian/Corecodec is interested in this too and could provide resources?

Christian did approach me a few weeks ago regarding a Vorbis encoder project but I declined the offer since, at the time, I wasn't that confident I'd be able to make any contribution.  Plus, since Frank Klemm has been motivated back to MPC development, perhaps the ideas has been down-prioritised a few notches

Anyway, I'd like to know how many people would be interested in something like this since it would be a bit lonely having just me, me, and me in the group.

Reply #4
it would be a good idea to form some sort of Vorbis Developers Group

Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't Xiph.org already serve this purpose?  Is there some reason the HA-based developers wouldn't want to work with Xiph?

I think it would be better for Vorbis and better for all developers to try to work together under the framework that has already been established.  After all, many of our complaints about Vorbis progress are the result of too few Xiph developers working on the project.  I would like to think Monty would greatly appreciate the help.

Reply #5
Monty is quite conservative regarding changes to Vorbis' inner-workings, which is completely understandable from xiph's point of view. Xiph wants/needs a stable reference implementation, which delivers good quality at all bitrates. However this policy doesn't leave much room for experimental tunings by 3rd parties like Garf, QK, nyaochi and aoyumi, which are mostly ignored by Xiph (ask Garf).
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #6
oh, please, do unite

Reply #7
This would be great if we can get it to happen.  I am not involved enough with the actual Vorbis development to know why Xiph would not consider anyone else's work.  It IS open source, so why won't they allow the benefits?  It is still up to them as to what they include in the official builds, but at least they should CONSIDER what great work is being done here.  In my opinion, they can ONLY benefit, and WE the USERS can only benefit, as long as they take advantage of this other work responsibly.
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!