Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Secure mode ... (Read 3037 times) previous topic - next topic

Secure mode ...

I am not sure if this has been mentioned as an idea ... I tried searching but didn't find anything in particular.  I am posting this as a request for foobar.

Secure mode (a.k.a. - lockdown or kiosk mode) would be a great feature to have as a part of the best media player out there.  For those unsure of what I am speaking of, it is a fullscreen mode that disables special key commands when running ... keystrokes like ctrl+alt+del, winkey+r, winkey+e, alt+tab, alt+f4.  This would be perfect for setting up a computer running foobar in a public place and allowing people to use the computer but not having to worry about them messing with it.

Ideas/comments/questions welcome ...

-zick

Secure mode ...

Reply #1
Not only for public places.... my girlfriend's fingers appear to hit the occasional "wrong" button: She's using the foo_tunes interface now (a bit more accessible), but there are too many little bugs that make it a bit annoying to use. But that's really a different subject.

So, yes! I would welcome a can't-do-much-damage mode.

Rob

Secure mode ...

Reply #2
Something in the the config file that would mention what keys to block (so if foo moves to other os's or Bill changes these keystrokes) ... also there should be away to disable this once it's been started.  like one of these keystrokes pops up a prompt asking for a password, upon entering a correct password (stored in config file) secure mode goes into standby.

Secure mode ...

Reply #3
I don't think there is a way for an application to intercept things like ctrl+alt+del. You need to make changes at OS level for that.

What you can do is using e.g. a remote conrol with girder or the lirc component and making the keyboard and mouse inaccessible. Or, you can take an old keyboard and physically remove the unsafe keys.

Secure mode ...

Reply #4
that would be cool.. for party's and stuff where u realy dont want people messing with your comp other than playing music