Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_speech (Read 6063 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_speech

i would like a plugin for foobar, that told me what song it is just about to play, or just played. when you have a lot of music, sometimes you don't know the title or artist. it would be really handy. perhaps playing a game and dont want to alt-tag just to find out.

i have worked some with it in .net, used a text-to-speech component that ships with windows xp called SAPI 5.1. it's tremendously simple, like 5-10 rows of code to make it speak (.net/c++, almost same amount, COM component)

an example is here (just made a quick-search, i think this is right):
http://www.csharphelp.com/archives/archive243.html

well, just an idea, it would be cool if someone took the liberty to implement it

/d

foo_speech

Reply #1
There used to be a plugin like this for some earlier versions of foobar (can't remember the name of the plugin though), perhaps someone should compile it for 0.8 (if the sources are avaliable).

foo_speech

Reply #2
You're looking for foo_tts
The version I have (v.0.1) still work with foobar v0.8.1beta2

Edit: Guess I was a little too fast there. I get a metadb_handle leaks error on exit.
Btw: I don't know how long I could stand listening to Sam, but IIRC it was possible to replace him. I never really used this plugin much, only played around with it...

foo_speech

Reply #3
i can't find that plugin anywhere,
even google gives 0 results

do you have it lying around somewhere? i'd really like to get my hands on it

thx

foo_speech

Reply #4
Hi

I was the developer of foo_tts. I haven't been doing much with it for a long time though. I will recompile it to make it 0.8 friendly and let you know when it's available for download.

Paulski

foo_speech

Reply #5
cool,
please do,

thank you

foo_speech

Reply #6
if you are busy,
there is no way you could lend me the source to try to compile it?

i did a little test plugin a few versions ago, so i think i would be able to do it..

well, would be cool..

yes i'm that eager to get it

foo_speech

Reply #7
i've wanted this for a while, too. when i lie in bed and let foobar shuffle through my entire collection, i wind up hearing a lot of stuff i can't remember, and needing to sit up to check out the screen.

i hope this plugin has an "activated/deactivated" button or something, though. because most other times i wouldn't want to hear it say the titles.

also, does it say artist and title? or just title? i hope it says artist, too

foo_speech

Reply #8
i think it says both,
there are two other posts mentioning foo_tts..

foo_speech

Reply #9
I wrote my own foo_tts in summer 2010. At the time I didn't realise there was already a plugin with that name, but it seems the original is no longer supported anyway.

My plugin can be configured to unilaterally read track info before every track is played, but it's really intended to be used dynamically with a remote control. It's best suited to those occasions where you realise you're listening to something you like, and you want to know right now what it's called, who it's by, etc. Plus of course it's really handy if you're blind, or if you can't be bothered to go and look at the screen because it's a long way away.