Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best Way to Capture from an Audio Cassette Tape (Read 15501 times) previous topic - next topic

Best Way to Capture from an Audio Cassette Tape

I have a bunch of audio cassettes that I don't want to rebuy in cd form, and I probably couldn't find even if I had the money.

Right now I have a sony low end boombox's headphone jack hooked up to the line in on my Hercules Muse XL.  I have audacity set for 44100hz @ 16 bits per sample stereo.  The volume is set about in the middle, in audacity the maximum of the spectrum is about 1/3 - 1/2 between the zero marker and the edge.  Are these good settings, or should I change them?

Are there any programs out there to listen to the wav for silence to create chapters and/or perhaps a cue/matroska xml file?

There's also some analog staticy noise that is particularly noticable in the quiter points.  I'm not sure if  I want to have audacity remove it at a weaker setting, or to just leave the noise in.

Reply #1
in audacity the maximum of the spectrum is about 1/3 - 1/2 between the zero marker and the edge.  [{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You mean that you record at less than half the maximum level ? It is a bit quiet. The peaks should top around -2 db. Being at less than half the available level, you are below -6 db.

Other advices : [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=8990]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....t=ST&f=1&t=8990[/url]

Reply #2
I've not tested this device (haven't even seen one yet, personally), but a few weeks ago my brother sent me a link to the PlusDeck ($149.99), a drive-bay cassette solution. A bit pricey for what it does, but then you would partly be paying for convenience.

- M.

Reply #3
From what I've read on HA, the sound quality will suffer coming from the Headphone Jack.  You really need a cassette player with a line-out.

I have transferred many tapes to .wav - .mp3 recently.  I used "Waverepair" quite successfully.  It automatically splits the tracks on non-live tapes.  But even on live tapes it allows you to perform fade-in/fade-out functions with ease.  It's freeware if you're just separating tracks, $30 if you want to get detailed capabilities.

I have not & probably will not transfer all tapes to mp3 as the quality is very lacking compared to digital sources.  I believe it's legal (I don't really know) to copy music titles digitally which you already own a license for this intellectual property (you don't need to buy the music again).  So if you have the bandwidth, let'er rip - it will take tha same time to download as it would to rip from tape in real-time.
EAC095pb5, LAME3.98, freedb, flac 1.2.1, fb2k 0.9.5

Reply #4
I have a bunch of audio cassettes that I don't want to rebuy in cd form, and I probably couldn't find even if I had the money.

Right now I have a sony low end boombox's headphone jack hooked up to the line in on my Hercules Muse XL.  I have audacity set for 44100hz @ 16 bits per sample stereo.  The volume is set about in the middle, in audacity the maximum of the spectrum is about 1/3 - 1/2 between the zero marker and the edge.  Are these good settings, or should I change them?

Are there any programs out there to listen to the wav for silence to create chapters and/or perhaps a cue/matroska xml file?

There's also some analog staticy noise that is particularly noticable in the quiter points.  I'm not sure if  I want to have audacity remove it at a weaker setting, or to just leave the noise in.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=233472"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use cakewalk pyro 2004 to capture about 60 cassettes. I then used "Sony Batch Converter 5.0" to convert the captures to mono, clean up the captures  (I used the "Noise Reduction" and "Click and Crackle Removal" plugins from the "Noise Reduction 2.0" plugins suite), and remove silence from ends.

I would advise you against doing such a capture unless absolutely necessary as you have to capture in real time which is a major pain.

Reply #5
I tried out Pyro way back when it was V1.0.  I thought it was the worst, slowest software at the time.  I quickly came to realize that there was plenty of freeware out there made by people because they love music over profit.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #6
I use EAC to sample the tapes, reduce noise and split tracks.

I convert the tracks to FLAC, but you can chose to use mp3 or whatever encoder you want.

In particular the setting of the volume is crucial to avoid clipping.

Here is the comlete procedure I use:

Connect Tape/Record Player
-----------------------------------
Connect the line out of a tape recorder to line in on the sound board
  or
Connect the record player to an amplifier and connect the amplifier line out to line in on the sound board

Open volume settings
Choose Settings - Properties and click recording
Check all inputs
Wait for the Capture window to appear
Select Line In as input

Adjust recording level
---------------------------
Start - All Programs - EAC - Tools - Record WAV...

Play loudest part of the track and watch the level meters.
The peaks should be about -5 dB
Adjust the level on the Line In slider.
On my PC the correct setting for most recordings are at the bottom close to the second mark.
Select target filename: F:\RECORD\record.wav
Record sample of 10 - 20 seconds of a loud section.
Determine last recordings peak level - should be between -10 dB and  -5 dB depending on the sound board used or clipping will happen.
Click play to hear extract around peak. If clipping has occured it will be quite clear from the playback.

Keep adjusting the Line In level until the peak values are OK and the peak sample has no degradation.

Record to wave
-------------------
Stop the tape/record player
Click the start record button
Start the tape/record player after about 5 seconds to ensure there is enough noise to do proper noise reduction

DO NOT TOUCH computer until the recording is completed as this may cause the input level to jump to a level where clipping occurs.

WAIT --- WAIT --- WAIT

When the music stops click stop record and OK

Enhance recording
-----------------------
Tools - Process WAV... - F:\RECORD\record.wav
First normalize the level of the recording

Edit - Select All
  Process File - Normalize.. - to 98

Select 5 seconds of noise in the recording where it should be silent

Process Selection - Noise Profile - Get from selection
  Edit - Select All
  Process Selection - Reduce Noise... - 48 dB

Verify that the beginning and ending are silent without clicks. Silence clicks if they are present.
Process File - Remove - Leading & Ending Silence

For vinyl only continue with

Enhancements - Detect Pops... - 6 dB Medium  This will launch the Pop Detection window
  For each pop listed do the following:
    Double click the pop -- the pop will automatically be displayed in the wave window
    Determine if the pop needs fixing
    If so, do Process Selection - Interpolate Section - Replace Frequencies

Split tracks
---------------
CUE Sheet - Create new CUE sheet
Zoom Full
For each split between tracks:
  Select section around split and click Zoom Range
  Place the cursor exactly were you want the split
  CUE Sheet - Insert - Track Start

CUE Sheet - Save CUE Sheet... - CUESheet.cue
File - Save

Tools - Split WAV By CUE Sheet... - With Gaps - F:\RECORD\record.wav - CUESheet.cue

The files will be named 01.wav, 02.wav etc.

To FLAC
-----------
Start EAC
EAC - Compression Options...  -- Add -i option to flacntag
Tools - Compress WAV...
Select files to compress and click OK

WAIT ... WAIT ... WAIT

COVER ART
--------------
Start Slothdog's Amazing Album Cover Finder
Enter Artist and Album
Right click on one of the images found and click Copy
Start Photo Editor
Edit - Paste as New
File - Save    -- to save it in BOX \ Artist \ Album folder as folder.jpg

TAG UPDATE
-----------------
Start TGF
Select  RECORD
Select flac extension

Select Online tab
Click AMG
Locate the Album
Review info and accept changes by clicking Apply album and Update

Select Tag tab
Click Scan
Check the Encoder and set it to TAPE
Click Apply and Update
Click Update All

LYRICS
----------------
Select Manual tab
Double click on song to get Edit Vorbis Comment dialogue.
Select the Lyrics Tab.
Click Check for lyrics using Google
Select the lyrics found and press CTRL+C
Click in the lyrics window and press CTRL+V
Click save and next
Repeat for all songs

Reply #7
I tried out Pyro way back when it was V1.0.  I thought it was the worst, slowest software at the time.  I quickly came to realize that there was plenty of freeware out there made by people because they love music over profit.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=233540"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You may be right. I have not used any other software for capturing analog audio therefore I have no frame of reference.

Reply #8
Among the other things that have already been suggested, I highly recommend aligning the tape head before playback of each cassette. It can make a huge difference in sound quality.

Most decks will have a small hole that will allow access to the adjustment screw during playback. If you don't have one, check to see if the door is removable.