Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Columns UI (Read 4590479 times) previous topic - next topic

Columns UI

Reply #1850
Feature proposal:
Currently, one can tell ui columns to display a popup when hovering the mouse over a cell which's content dont fit in. I think the potential of popups in ui-columns is very underused. Tracks often have much "secondary" info... data which is interesting sometimes, but uninteresting most of the time. In albummode, this is less a problem, because we have lots of room to display "secondary" metadata. But for singles, the choices right now are to either not display them, or clutter the screenspace with lots of columns which contain rarely needed metadata.

Popups could solve this. If the contents of popups could be formatted with a tagz-string (which would always use the same tagz-code, regardless of over which cell you hover the mouse), then one could move all the secondary metadata into popups, and use the static columns only for primary metadata. In practice, this would work the following way: Only the most important metadata could be displayed in the columns, saving screenspace - if you need additional info about a single-track, then you just hover the mouse over the track, and a popup will appear, showing all the secondary metadata. Of course, other interesting stuff may be possible as well - thats just a question of creativity.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Columns UI

Reply #1851
Feature proposal:
Currently, one can tell ui columns to display a popup when hovering the mouse over a cell which's content dont fit in. I think the potential of popups in ui-columns is very underused. Tracks often have much "secondary" info... data which is interesting sometimes, but uninteresting most of the time. In albummode, this is less a problem, because we have lots of room to display "secondary" metadata. But for singles, the choices right now are to either not display them, or clutter the screenspace with lots of columns which contain rarely needed metadata.

Popups could solve this. If the contents of popups could be formatted with a tagz-string (which would always use the same tagz-code, regardless of over which cell you hover the mouse), then one could move all the secondary metadata into popups, and use the static columns only for primary metadata. In practice, this would work the following way: Only the most important metadata could be displayed in the columns, saving screenspace - if you need additional info about a single-track, then you just hover the mouse over the track, and a popup will appear, showing all the secondary metadata. Of course, other interesting stuff may be possible as well - thats just a question of creativity.

- Lyx
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

From [a href="http://music.morbo.org/wiki/columns_ui:requests:requests_list]Columns UI Requests List[/url]: Customisable playlist view tooltips.

Columns UI

Reply #1852
Tracks often have much "secondary" info... data which is interesting sometimes, but uninteresting most of the time. In albummode, this is less a problem, because we have lots of room to display "secondary" metadata. But for singles, the choices right now are to either not display them, or clutter the screenspace with lots of columns which contain rarely needed metadata.

Isn't foo_uie_trackinfo already a solution for this problem? It even supports TAGZ.

Columns UI

Reply #1853
Tracks often have much "secondary" info... data which is interesting sometimes, but uninteresting most of the time. In albummode, this is less a problem, because we have lots of room to display "secondary" metadata. But for singles, the choices right now are to either not display them, or clutter the screenspace with lots of columns which contain rarely needed metadata.

Isn't foo_uie_trackinfo already a solution for this problem? It even supports TAGZ.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299273"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree, It provides a way to display all the useless info per track.

Columns UI

Reply #1854
A tooltip with the info (maybe only popping up while pressing Ctrl) would be nicer.

Columns UI

Reply #1855

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299273"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, some of us like to keep our foobars minimal and so even the trackinfo panel eats up too much screenspace

Columns UI

Reply #1856
foo_ui_columns 0.1.3 pre-alpha 10 for foobar2000 0.9 beta 3 released:
Download
Changelog
Known Issues

Requires Microsoft C Runtime 7.1 libraries in your foobar2000 folder.

Warning: This is pre-alpha, so likely has major bugs, and has uncomplete features. Use with plenty caution.

Columns UI

Reply #1857
Looks like good stuff. Too bad I cannot run fb2k anymore. (I run Linux now)

Columns UI

Reply #1858
foo_ui_columns 0.1.3 pre-alpha 10 for foobar2000 0.9 beta 3 released:
Download
Changelog
Known Issues

Requires Microsoft C Runtime 7.1 libraries in your foobar2000 folder.

Warning: This is pre-alpha, so likely has major bugs, and has uncomplete features. Use with plenty caution.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299578"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm getting this error when starting it up:
---------------------------
foobar2000.exe - Unable To Locate Component
This application has failed to start because shared.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
OK  

Adding the runtime libraries doesn't have any effect.

Columns UI

Reply #1859
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299587"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorry, foobar2000 components for 0.9.x do not work with foobar2000 version 0.8.3

Columns UI

Reply #1860
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299587"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorry, foobar2000 components for 0.9.x do not work with foobar2000 version 0.8.3
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299590"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh snap, didn't see that there's a beta of .9 out already. Downloading for science!

Columns UI

Reply #1861
Ok.. so how would I add a panel above the main playlist? I notice that you can change the base layout view in the layout tab, but I don't see an option for that kind of thing.

Columns UI

Reply #1862
as there isn't anything besides the playlist in the layout tab it doesn't seem you can do anything with it yet...

Edit: Also found a bug, it think, it seems when resizing the sidebar the playlist isn't redrawn right

Columns UI

Reply #1864
Will any sidebars be made available at this point, or are they going to wait until the alphas are further along?

(Also, so far, so good.  No crashes with .9 all day, and 1.3 seems stable as well)

Columns UI

Reply #1865
The 0.9 SDK is not publically available.  As I understand it, neither is the UI Extensions API 6.0 SDK.  So no panels will be available until both these items are available.

Columns UI

Reply #1866
It seems that $set_style() function doesn't work, both under 'Display' and 'Color' tabs (Columns UI -> Playlist view -> Columns).

Here is the code I typed:
Code: [Select]
$set_style(text,$rgb(90,60,30),$rgb(10,20,30))

And it shows [UNKNOWN FUNCTION]. The same for $set_style(back,...,...).

Columns UI

Reply #1867
@musicmusic
About availability of system-date/time:

In the past, there wasn't much reason to use the system-time for sorting. This has changed with the new playcounter-plugin. As you know, currently, system-time is only available in the global-string. This means that to use system-time for sorting, the global string needs to be included. This can be very slow whith a more complex global-string.

So, it would be nice, if one could have system-time available to sorting as well. Of course, in case you plan to introduce non-trackspecific global vars, then this issue becomes irrelevant(because the trackspecific strings would become fast enough for sorting).

- Lyx

Columns UI

Reply #1868
Ok.. so how would I add a panel above the main playlist? I notice that you can change the base layout view in the layout tab, but I don't see an option for that kind of thing.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299595"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You have to chenge the base to a vertical splitter, and then you can insert panels, or more splitters into it.

as there isn't anything besides the playlist in the layout tab it doesn't seem you can do anything with it yet...
Well no, you cant do anything interesting, but you can do things, but you have to change the base node first.

Edit: Also found a bug, it think, it seems when resizing the sidebar the playlist isn't redrawn right
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299596"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Can you elaborate and/or post a  screenshot?

It seems that $set_style() function doesn't work, both under 'Display' and 'Color' tabs (Columns UI -> Playlist view -> Columns).

Here is the code I typed:
Code: [Select]
$set_style(text,$rgb(90,60,30),$rgb(10,20,30))

And it shows [UNKNOWN FUNCTION]. The same for $set_style(back,...,...).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299654"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks, its working in global colour string only it seems, to be honest just use the old style for now, Im not decided on the new format yet, its certainly not finished yet.

@musicmusic
About availability of system-date/time:

In the past, there wasn't much reason to use the system-time for sorting. This has changed with the new playcounter-plugin. As you know, currently, system-time is only available in the global-string. This means that to use system-time for sorting, the global string needs to be included. This can be very slow whith a more complex global-string.

So, it would be nice, if one could have system-time available to sorting as well. Of course, in case you plan to introduce non-trackspecific global vars, then this issue becomes irrelevant(because the trackspecific strings would become fast enough for sorting).

- Lyx
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299691"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What do you need to uses time for sorting for? Surely you dont actually sort by it

Only the hour is available anywhere else anyway; if you tell how exactly you want to use this in your sort string I can consider this.

Columns UI

Reply #1869
What do you need to uses time for sorting for? Surely you dont actually sort by it :ph34r:

Only the hour is available anywhere else anyway; if you tell how exactly you want to use this in your sort string I can consider this.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299711"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For example, to sort by plays/day, using the first_played, last_played and play_counter tags. Any "hotness"-implementations will also rely on it.

In those cases, system-date/time is necessary, to calculate "how old" a timestamp(i.e. first_played and last_played) is.

- Lyx

Columns UI

Reply #1870
What do you need to uses time for sorting for? Surely you dont actually sort by it

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299711"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For example, to sort by plays/day, using the first_played, last_played and play_counter tags. Any "hotness"-implementations will also rely on it.

In those cases, system-date/time is necessary, to calculate "how old" a timestamp(i.e. first_played and last_played) is.

- Lyx
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299715"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Ok, Ill add them everywhere, and Ill see about adding that Julian date field..

Columns UI

Reply #1871
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299596"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Can you elaborate and/or post a  screenshot?

I have the same problem using Win XP.

Steps to reproduce:
- start columns ui as a not-fullsize window
- activate the playlist sidebar
- maximize the window (double click ont titelbar)

-> the playlist sidebar takes not the whole available vertical space

Columns UI

Reply #1872
Yep, confirmed on XP.

Columns UI

Reply #1873
Ah I figured out layout now, didn't get it before

screenshot

Having something to the right of the playlist also seems to get rid of that redrawing problem

Columns UI

Reply #1874
Trying with 0.9 and 1.3 I can't get the right columns size: if I check auto-resize I can't see all the titles length, if I uncheck it I can resize the headers but the rows in the playlist doesn't follow their headers.