Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_id3v2 + masstager, deletes the cover art tag (Read 6249 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_id3v2 + masstager, deletes the cover art tag

The masstagger keeps deleting my cover art tags. Is there a way to correct this?

Reply #1
The masstagger keeps deleting my cover art tags. Is there a way to correct this?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=248539"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't think so. If you have binary data (like cover images) in your tags, you better don't use foobar for tagging purposes (also replaygaining afaik).

The Link

Reply #2
foobar does not support embedding images in tags, in part because its considered a bad idea to embed images in the file itself, verses simply linking to an external file.

Reply #3
foobar does not support embedding images in tags, in part because its considered a bad idea to embed images in the file itself, verses simply linking to an external file.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=248608"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe, but just because it isn't a bad idea it shouldn't be removed. At least one option could be implemented in order to allow keeping images in tags.

Imaging this: a new user has passed hours and days tagging his music library with  cover art in id3v2. He switch to foobar, he can't see the embedded images but anyway he's incredibly happy with this incredible player  But he isn't aware that foobar delete his cover everytime he does a tagging operation (for ex. a simple play_counter, using play counter plugin). After a while he has lost his embedded images and doesn't know why 

That didn't happens to me, because I don't use embedded images in id3v2, but I can't see the point in deleting certain tags without warning me 

Reply #4
Also because the database does not support binary data.

Another reason is because, against the suggestions in the specification, my ID3v2 tag writer does not attempt to preserve fields it does not read. Even if it did, the tag_remover deletes the tag before the tag_writer can see it.

Reply #5
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=248608"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

why is it considered a bad idea?

Reply #6
Also because the database does not support binary data.

Another reason is because, against the suggestions in the specification, my ID3v2 tag writer does not attempt to preserve fields it does not read. Even if it did, the tag_remover deletes the tag before the tag_writer can see it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=248636"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Is there any possible way whatsoever you could update your plugin and find a way around this so the binary data such as jpegs is preserved.

Reply #7
I'll add my voice again to the pleas for updating ID3v2 plugin to preserve binary data, even if its not logged to the db.  We discussed a slightly hacky way to do this previously.  If you don't want to pursue, would you be willing to make your source available so I could do so?

I would imagine only pursuing my solution until foobar itself manages a better flow for tagging api.

+Reardon

Reply #8
I can redesign the tag writer to link in the existing tag and clear out all supported field types before propagating info from the database, but like the fast rewriting and taking advantage of tag padding, that will have to wait until an API change supports it properly. Perhaps such a change will be a part of Foobar2000 v0.9. Only time will tell.

Reply #9
but like the fast rewriting and taking advantage of tag padding, that will have to wait until an API change supports it properly. Perhaps such a change will be a part of Foobar2000 v0.9. Only time will tell.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=264110"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I hope so, because right now id3v2 tagging in fb2k is really slow  .

Reply #10
I can redesign the tag writer to link in the existing tag and clear out all supported field types before propagating info from the database,
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=264110"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have no idea what that means. 
Does it mean binary data wont be deleted?