Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Channel Mixer (foo_channel_mixer) (Read 529560 times) previous topic - next topic

Channel Mixer (foo_channel_mixer)

Channel Mixer (foo_channel_mixer) for foobar2000 0.9

Latest version is: 0.9.6.3
Release date: 2007.11.21

Functionality:

* - (up|down)mix (to|from) 1-6 channels
    * - redirect bass to subwoofer channel (6-channels output mode only)
    * - delay rear channels by 1-40 ms (4 or 6-channels output mode only)
    * - surround sound effect (2->4 or 2->6 mode only)
    * - changing virtual width of a stereoimage
    * - etc...

Plugin download:
http://www.skipyrich.com/store/foo_channel_mixer.7z
My English is very good!
...in comparison with my Korean language...

Reply #1
Channel Mixer (foo_channel_mixer) 0.2 alpha is out.

This plugin allows to (up|down)mix between 1-6 channels.

http://skipyrich.siteburg.com/store/foo_channel_mixer.zip

Post your suggestions and bugreports here.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=259164"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The new subwoofer options are most useful.  A good amount of 5.1 material doesn't not have a proper LFE track.  The option to mix the bass from all the channels was something I was hoping to see for 5.1 sources.  So far there doesn't appear to be anything malfunctioning.

Reply #2
Version: 0.3 alpha

- changed: subwoofer volume and mode handling on 5.1 input
    - added: delays
    - changed: slightly changed filter constants

http://skipyrich.siteburg.com/store/foo_channel_mixer.zip
My English is very good!

Reply #3
crashes at end of song when used with "gap killer", although, skip silence dsp works with it

Reply #4
crashes at end of song when used with "gap killer", although, skip silence dsp works with it
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=259298"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

fast solution: move foo_dsp_nogaps on top of foo_channel_mixer.
I will try to locate and fix this problem...
My English is very good!

Reply #5
this plugin is awesome, thank you very much........

Reply #6
thx 4 the quickfix, forgot to thank you for this awesome plugin as well, great work, ive been searching for something like this ever since i started using foobar!

Reply #7
Nice plugin. I've been playing around with it. It works well after tweaking the settings.

A few minor things:
There seems to be a minor bug when playing back silence (division by zeros or rounding errors somewhere, perhaps). This might be related to the gap killer problem. The track I noticed this problem with is The Atari's song, "Eight of Nine": there is a long period of silence at the end of the track. Playing that back with the channel mixer enabled results in 100% CPU usage when I reach the silent part (the channel mixer is the only DSP enabled at that point).
Edit: this seems to only appear with "use subwoofer" and "bass redirection" both enabled.
I use these two options, because without it, the low frequencies are too powerful--while I'm not familiar enough with this sort of thing to be able to know exactly why, I'm guessing it's because the audio is getting copied to 5 channel instead of just 2, and since each channel still contains a bass component, the speaker's crossover is taking bass from each of the 5 channels--making it louder than it should be.  If anyone can shed more info on this, I'd appreciate it though.

Interestingly enough though, playing back silence://10 (for example) doesn't result in this CPU usage spike. I can post a FLAC of the ending of the song if it would help.
Using noise dithering seems to increase CPU usage by a lot--but this could be because foobar has to dither several channels at once though.

Reply #8
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=259298"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Unfortunately, foo_dsp_nogaps crashes with any 6-channel source
Use another plugin or write bugreport to its author...
My English is very good!

Reply #9
There seems to be a minor bug when playing back silence (division by zeros or rounding errors somewhere, perhaps). This might be related to the gap killer problem. The track I noticed this problem with is The Atari's song, "Eight of Nine": there is a long period of silence at the end of the track. Playing that back with the channel mixer enabled results in 100% CPU usage when I reach the silent part (the channel mixer is the only DSP enabled at that point).
Edit: this seems to only appear with "use subwoofer" and "bass redirection" both enabled.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=259340"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Interestingly enough though, playing back silence://10 (for example) doesn't result in this CPU usage spike. I can post a FLAC of the ending of the song if it would help.

This problem appears on any track in which there is a silence. It is a major bug, I shall try to correct it as soon as possible.

I use these two options, because without it, the low frequencies are too powerful--while I'm not familiar enough with this sort of thing to be able to know exactly why, I'm guessing it's because the audio is getting copied to 5 channel instead of just 2, and since each channel still contains a bass component, the speaker's crossover is taking bass from each of the 5 channels--making it louder than it should be.  If anyone can shed more info on this, I'd appreciate it though.

"2 to 6" mode without bass redirection:
Code: [Select]
sub = (left+right)/2 * sub_volume

"2 to 6" with bass redirection:
Code: [Select]
sub = lowpass( (left+right)/2 ) * sub_volume
left = highpass(left)
right = highpass(right)

Using noise dithering seems to increase CPU usage by a lot--but this could be because foobar has to dither several channels at once though.
My English is very good!

Reply #11
skipyrich, this plugin is getting better and better.

I have just a remark about the handling of 5.1 sources.
Could you make it possible that 5.1 sources could pass unchanged (for instance when Downmix is off)?

I hope I'm not asking too much  The only way now is to switch to 6ch mode and switch on "Use subwoofer". But when I play a 2ch source with those settings I get the double amount of bass (like zetafunction).
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #12
The only way now is to switch to 6ch mode and switch on "Use subwoofer". But when I play a 2ch source with those settings I get the double amount of bass (like zetafunction).
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Version: 0.3.2 alpha

- added: volume control for upmixed subwoofer channel

[a href="http://skipyrich.siteburg.com/store/foo_channel_mixer.zip]http://skipyrich.siteburg.com/store/foo_channel_mixer.zip[/url]

The new control ("Upmixed volume") change volume of upmixed subwoofer channel only. Old ("Volume") control change volume of the subwoofer channel in all cases.
I hope, that it will allow to receive desirable results.
My English is very good!

Reply #13
Wow, thanks a lot for this great plugin. 

Fixes for me what Creative screwed with their crappy drivers.

Finally my woofer is giving me nice kicks while listening to (stereo)music and the center is no more waste of space.

Good work!

One thing that would be cool though: if one could reset settings to default (after messing around with a settings and not remembering what the default was.  )
*sigh*

Reply #16
Thanks for your great work!

I'm going to try it out tonite with my Abit NF7-S v2.0 motherboard. 

Reply #17
Just wanted to say "Thanks!!" 

People who use Audigys to AV receivers will really appreciate this, since you create a true 6 channel output, you don't suffer the normal LFE attenuation loss.
In Case Of Bose, Break Glass
Flac yuo in teh ASIO!

Reply #19

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=261355"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why do you wanna do that? Soundstorm converts all sound sources to AC3 in realtime.
I'ts just a matter of pluging in the cable and you'll have sound in all 6 speakers.

Reply #20
Version: 0.4 alpha

- changed: moved some controls
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=262124"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks again,
I just want to make a note that there is a relation between
- upmix->subwoofer (volume of content send to subwoofer) and
- subwoofer-> Bass redirection

As an example: In my case upmix->subwoofer is 0, because my speakerset handles the crossover between satelites and (sub)woofer itself.  When I now try Bass redirection, which is on another tab, I lose the bass (which is OK!). So maybe these settings should be kept on the same tab.

or just forget about upmix->subwoofer (level) and only have a "bass redirection level" grouped with the other Bass redirection settings, which I think makes more sense?

Happy 2005.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #21

Why do you wanna do that? Soundstorm converts all sound sources to AC3 in realtime.
I'ts just a matter of pluging in the cable and you'll have sound in all 6 speakers.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=262230"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

negative, I am using the newest drivers, with z-680's with the soundstorm, (Abit-NF7-s V2.0) with the optical cable and with DD live setting you only hear sound on the channels foobar is using, so with channel mixer you can play with 2 to 5.1 sound, without it and with no hardware acceleration its 2 channels, with hardware its 4. 

The plugin lets me (turning hardware acceleration off) up mix to 5.1, turn set the center channel to 0, play with the front and reat channels settings, and play with the bass, my music has never sounded better.

And the only difference between the 5.1 setting snd 5.1 DD live setting is that 5.1 all the channel mixing is done by my 680's and with 5.1 DD live its foobar doing the channel mixing since hardware acceleration is off.

Reply #22

negative, I am using the newest drivers, with z-680's with the soundstorm, (Abit-NF7-s V2.0) with the optical cable and with DD live setting you only hear sound on the channels foobar is using, so with channel mixer you can play with 2 to 5.1 sound, without it and with no hardware acceleration its 2 channels, with hardware its 4. 

The plugin lets me (turning hardware acceleration off) up mix to 5.1, turn set the center channel to 0, play with the front and reat channels settings, and play with the bass, my music has never sounded better.

And the only difference between the 5.1 setting snd 5.1 DD live setting is that 5.1 all the channel mixing is done by my 680's and with 5.1 DD live its foobar doing the channel mixing since hardware acceleration is off.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=262273"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmm.. Soundstorm does AC3 encoding realtime. (No other soundcard does that.)
I'm not sure thats what you're doing.

Well, I also have an optical cable between my computer and my Home Cinema Receiver (Yamaha RX-V596RDS).
Works like a charm.

My brother have the same setup, he recently bought a Yamaha RX-V650 Reciever (and some new speakers), and voilá..
No matter what sound is playing, windows, Winamp, Foobar, MPC, WMP, PVR-250 (TV-Card) whatever.. Sound in all 5.1 (7.1+2 in his case) speakers.
All sound is digital in AC3.

Maybe its something funky with your speakers? 

Edit: I have the exact same mobo as you aswell.

Reply #23

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=262273"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmm.. Soundstorm does AC3 encoding realtime. (No other soundcard does that.)
I'm not sure thats what you're doing.

Well, I also have an optical cable between my computer and my Home Cinema Receiver (Yamaha RX-V596RDS).
Works like a charm.

My brother have the same setup, he recently bought a Yamaha RX-V650 Reciever (and some new speakers), and voilá..
No matter what sound is playing, windows, Winamp, Foobar, MPC, WMP, PVR-250 (TV-Card) whatever.. Sound in all 5.1 (7.1+2 in his case) speakers.
All sound is digital in AC3.

Maybe its something funky with your speakers? 

Edit: I have the exact same mobo as you aswell.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=262413"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I only get full 5.1 with everything on when I have my output set to 5.1 in NV Mixer and have my z-680's set to PL Movie or PL Music.

If you look at the NV mixer you'll see what channels are being output by Soundstorm, you and your brothers recievers are mixing and decoding, because, with creative desktop 5.1 with digital coax out and with Logitech Z680's optical I have gotten the same results.......sound storm will not up mix stereo sound to 5.1 unless you tell it to with hardware acceleration, and if you reghack NV mixer to all add a center channel (if none exists in the source)

Yes it may do AC3 encoding in realtime however that doesnt mean that the out put is in 5.1 sound.  Secondly SS only does 5.1 sound so the fact that your brothers get 7.1 +2 sound means that his reciever is take the source audio and upmixing.......

Reply #24
I only get full 5.1 with everything on when I have my output set to 5.1 in NV Mixer and have my z-680's set to PL Movie or PL Music.

If you look at the NV mixer you'll see what channels are being output by Soundstorm, you and your brothers recievers are mixing and decoding, because, with creative desktop 5.1 with digital coax out and with Logitech Z680's optical I have gotten the same results.......sound storm will not up mix stereo sound to 5.1 unless you tell it to with hardware acceleration, and if you reghack NV mixer to all add a center channel (if none exists in the source)

Yes it may do AC3 encoding in realtime however that doesnt mean that the out put is in 5.1 sound. Secondly SS only does 5.1 sound so the fact that your brothers get 7.1 +2 sound means that his reciever is take the source audio and upmixing.......

Well, if I set nvmixer to "5.1 Speakers (Dolby Digital)" my reciever reacts and shows "Dolby Digital".. If I set it to anything else my reciever displays "Pro Logic".
(The reciever is set to "Auto" so it detects what comes in.)

So the reciever detects AC3.

Same with DVD's (from my standalone player).
In the movies menu's the reciever shows "Pro Logic".
When the movie starts it either shows "Dolby Digital" or "DTS".

So there is no upmixing going on. (In my case)

Oh, and I have sound in my center.