Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Grado SR60 vs Sennheiser HD497 (Read 7429 times) previous topic - next topic

Grado SR60 vs Sennheiser HD497

I'm in the market for a pair of decent cans for PC use, primarily listening to CD's and Lame --aps mp3's. For reasons I won't go into, my choice has narrowed to an either/or decision, between Grado SR60's and Sennheiser HD497's.

Which of the two would you recommend, and why? I realize much has been written about both, but I would appreciate your input regarding this one-on-one comparison.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Madrigal

Reply #1
Between those cans specifically I would favour the Grados, especially for computer use. I never thought too highly of the Senny 497s (they're decent, but nothing special). I'd go hunt for a cheap pair of Senny 580s (and even 600s are coming down in price!) myself, but you've already done your winnowing it seems.

Reply #2
I've had a pair of Grado SR80's for a couple years now and I love them. From what I've read, they are close to the sound of the SR60's but with more bass. Thru an amp and Chaintech AV710 they sound great.
I have no experience with the Sennheiser HD497's.

Reply #3
I have the Sennheiser HD497s.  They are way better than any cheap headphones or earbuds I've ever heard but these are my first high quality headphones so I don't really have anything to compare them to.  I think they don't sound quite as good as the Grado's, but they are more stylish.

Reply #4
I'd say the Grado's are way stylish. I guess it depends on wether you're into the retro og futuristic look. I'm a proud owner of Grade S60's and I extremely pleased. You should however take into consideration that they are very open (other people hear what you are listening to if you pump up the volume and you can hear noise through them which is a good thing if you use them outdoors). Personally I would never trade my S60's and hald the reason is the retro coolness factor. The other half is just unrivaled quality for that price.

Reply #5
try on the damn grados before you buy them, i have some SR60's and found them to be the most uncomfortable pair of headphones ever (i did use them for 4+ hours a day though).

i eventually broke the tiny wire  that hardly reached my soundcard (im to cheap to buy an extension) after about 2 or 3 years and replaced them with some sennheiser HD 570's which are increadably comfortable and sound great although were a little expensive at the time.

Reply #6
I can only agree with landy there. Owning a pair of Grado SR-125 I have to say they that I love the sound, but they can become extremely uncomfortable after wearing them of a prolonged period of time up to the extent where it actually becomes painful.

Seems that my ears have somehow gotten used to it over time since it isn't as bad as in the beginning, but still I would probably not buy a new pair again, simply because they can become so uncomfortable.

Reply #7
I've tried the grado's.  They're nice, light I thought.

Try looking at Head-Fi.org and you'll probably find any and all info and opinions you could possibly want on both.

And take a look at the HeadRoom product info on both and see if they tell you anything
HD-497's and SR60's
I have more money invested in audio/music/sound than in my car and I'm still not convinced I'm not deaf.

And yeah I know I can't spell.

Reply #8
So which one is more neutral.... i mean  by flat frequency response? the sr60 or sr80???
The rating at headroom for the sr60s are higher so i was wondering.
The point of getting better headphones is for flatter frequency response right?
and also is there any ocmpetition between sr60's and px100?

Reply #9
I have the SR-80's. I wouldn't exactly call them neutral. If you want neutral listen to some Sennheisers and fall asleep. Highly recommended. IMO, you can't go wrong with ANY Grado.

Reply #10
The point of getting better headphones is for flatter frequency response right?
Right. At least I think it is, because I tend to listen to music critically rather than just for pleasure, and will gladly trade off comfort for accuracy if I have to. Durability is a factor, also.

Thanks for the links to Head-Fi and HeadRoom, but I have been there many times and not found the direct one-on-one comparison between SR60's and HD497's that I'm looking for.

I appreciate all the replies. Please keep it up if you have more.

Regards,
Madrigal

Reply #11
I use Sennheiser HD497 at the time being, as a temporary replacement after my AKG K401 died. One reason I loved the latter, was because they rested around my ears, not on them. I've tried Grado (SR60 iirc), but all I remeber from that experience, is that I decided I would probably never buy headphones with that kind of "rest on your ears" design, as I found that uncomfortable.

I'm pretty happy with Sennheiser HD497, and wear them for several hours a day. One thing I found a little strange at first, was the shape of the cans, as they're oval, but too small to rest completely around my ears (at least the same way e.g. HD580 do). But, by coincidence, I found that pulling the soft padding 90 degrees improved the comfort a lot, as it made them more circular.

They sound pretty good to me, but that might be because I'm so used to them now. All I have to compare with at the moment, is my KOSS PortaPros. For listening at my computer with an amplifier, I find HD497 better than the PortaPros, even though I love the latter for use with my portable MP3-player.

Reply #12
I would go Grado. I have the Alessandro MS1 which is a tweaked SR125 and they cost me not nearly the same as sen PX-100. They are almost  far superior to the PX100 and koss portapro.

They were uncomfortable for weeks but the metal headband gives way so they really do become comfy - eventually.

Reply #13
I'd say the Grado's are very comfortable. Then again they are about the only high-end cans I've tried.

Reply #14
I got a pair of HD-497s for Christmas and I love the sound but they can be uncomfortable too after about long periods of use.  I use them at the computer for everything from music, gaming, etc and I don't notice it at first but when I take them off it can really be annoying.  If I take breaks every three hours or so I am fine, but when I’m wearing them for four hours or more it feels like my ears are compressed and with the phones removed they hurt as they try to return to their normal shape.  I would recommend the HD-497s for regular use but I can definitely see where someone that uses them as much as I do would prefer something with a larger cup that fits completely around the ear.
"Have you ever been with a woman? It's like death. You moan, you scream and then you start to beg for mercy, for salvation"

Reply #15
Shadowking, did you get bowl pads for your MS-1s or are you still using the comfies?

I bought my brother MS-1s for Christmas, and I thought my SR-80s sounded better (I think all because of the bowls, and perhaps break-in). I never got to try swapping my bowls onto his MS-1s though.

Of course there's the option of the flats, which a lot of people seem to like. In any case, Grados sound awesome!

Reply #16
Still using comfies.

Reply #17
I've decided to go for the Grado's. Thanks for all the replies.

Regards,
Madrigal

Reply #18
I have a pair of Grado SR60 and I love them. They have a good bass response. They're great if you don't listen to techno or hiphop "music".

For jazz, blues, rock & classic, Grado' sound is very entertaining ! 
Happy listening: Cambridge Audio Azur 540C -> 540A -> Mordaunt-Short 902
Grado SR-60

Reply #19
by neutral i mean.... reproducing the sound the way they recorded and wanted it to be heard. wouldnt that be the point towards better equipment... to listen to what is suppose to be heard

Reply #20
by neutral i mean.... reproducing the sound the way they recorded and wanted it to be heard. wouldnt that be the point towards better equipment... to listen to what is suppose to be heard
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=270521"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For a sound engineer or musician, I would say yes. For a consumer I would say it depends. Although I like to reproduce the original as much as possible, for me it is more important to just "like" the sound. In my case, that might be a less than flat response.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #21
I've had both. I find that the Sennheisers are a little bit more clear and way more confortable than the Grados. I sold the Grados to a friend and kept the HD 497.

I have to admit that the coolness factor (the WWII telegraph operator look) of the Grados is unbeatable, though.

Manu