Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar can't handle unicode in cuesheets (Read 8559 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar can't handle unicode in cuesheets

Hi!

I have a lot of flac+cue files and all tags are stored in the cuesheet in unicode.

Foobar refuses to load a cuesheet in UTF-16, however it can load a cue UTF-8 encoded. =(

When a UTF-8 cuesheet is loaded everything seems ok, except from the replaygain scanning, that destroys all non-english chars.

Replaygain also do weird things when saving, always at the start of file, probably because it doesn't strips the BOM from the cuesheet.

The same problems occur when editing a tag with [properties dialog] or with [show file info special dialog]

It's very annoying having to rewrite all the non-english chars again in the cuesheet after a replaygain scan.

Those bugs aren't reported yet?

Reply #1
there's something on the foobar front page at www.foobar2000.org about a fix for FLAC files... have you installed that? Also, it would help if you could say which version you are using etc.

Reply #2
I'm using foobar2000 v0.8.3 (2005-02-12) from http://www.saunalahti.fi/cse/foobar2000.php but I don't think the foo_flac is at fault, because I only use tags in cuesheets, not inside the flacs.

Probably at the foobar CORE is where the bug resides.

Example (when loading a cuesheet in UTF-16LE):

INFO (CORE) : opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://H:\LArc en Ciel - heavenly.cue" (0)
ERROR (CORE) : error opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://H:\LArc en Ciel - heavenly.cue" (0)

Reply #3
The cue sheet format itself does not support Unicode. That foobar2000 can read UTF-8 encoded cue sheets should be considered a bonus feature.

Reply #4
There isn't a standard cuesheet format (unless you consider "standard" the original one), and with that logic, the development of replaygain in cuesheets or the development of foo_cue_ex for example doesn't have sense.

Also the ISO CD-TEXT standard supports unicode.

Reply #5
There isn't a standard cuesheet format (unless you consider "standard" the original one),
There is the de-facto standard of what most applications accept as a "cue sheet".

and with that logic, the development of replaygain in cuesheets or the development of foo_cue_ex for example doesn't have sense.
Those are proprietary extensions like UTF-8 reading support, which were added because people demanded them.

Also the ISO CD-TEXT standard supports unicode.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=280212"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That's nice for CD-TEXT.

You can use foo_apl to generate APL files from your cue sheet. You can then edit those all you want without losing data.

Reply #6
(First, sorry for my english)

Thanks for the response.

I'm interested in how I can do a [cue]->[apl for FLAC] conversion.

However my colection of flac+cue is big, and I want to have all the same. Till now I was saving the cuesheets in UTF-8 and has worked great except when I edit a tag.

An example before and after a replaygain scan:

Before:
Code: [Select]
PERFORMER "the pillows・光宗信吉"
TITLE "フリクリ オリジナルサウンドトラック 1「Addict」"
REM DiscID: 330bbc15
REM REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN -10.18 dB
REM REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_PEAK 0.988555
FILE "フリクリ オリジナルサウンドトラック 1.flac" WAVE
 TRACK 12 AUDIO
   TITLE "カバレフスキー:「道化師」より~ギャロップ"
   PERFORMER "カバレフスキー"
   INDEX 01 27:46:15
   REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -7.03 dB
   REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.922576
 TRACK 13 AUDIO
   TITLE "HYBRID RAINBOW"
   PERFORMER "the pillows"
   INDEX 01 29:25:05
   REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -9.16 dB
   REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.988555

After:
PERFORMER "the pillows・光宗信吉"
REM DiscID: 330bbc15
PERFORMER "the pillows·????"
TITLE "???? ????????????? 1?Addict?"
REM REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN -10.18 dB
REM REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_PEAK 0.988555
FILE "フリクリ オリジナルサウンドトラック 1.flac" WAVE
 TRACK 12 AUDIO
   TITLE "???????:???????~?????"
   PERFORMER "???????"
   INDEX 01 27:46:15
   REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -7.03 dB
   REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.922576
 TRACK 13 AUDIO
   TITLE "HYBRID RAINBOW"
   PERFORMER "the pillows"
   INDEX 01 29:25:05
   REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -9.16 dB
   REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.988555

This is a clear inconsistence. Either support full UTF-8 (at least) in all functions or doesn't support at all.

Because if I had known that foobar doesn't support UTF-8 in the replaygain/edit tag functions and that was the intended behaviour, I wouldn't ripped my collection that way.
And there isn't any advice in any place about this.

I changed from winamp to foobar because I thought that foobar supported full unicode in all functions.
It doesn't make sense to support in a part of the program and in other part don't support.
And if it's planned that way, at least would be great a advice. 

Regarding flac with apl:
I've not tried flac yet, but with the embedded cue file it is getting closer to what I'm looking for. Currently, I'm using MA since it's .apl feature allows me to encode a cd as one .ape file, and playback individual tracks using the .apl files.
Is it possible to have something similar to .apl with flac?

- Audio Spyder

Reply #8
The cue sheet handler supports reading UTF-8 (as mentioned above), however it writes cue sheets in ANSI encoding for compatibility with other programs (this might change in 0.9). No matter what changed the metadata of a file (replaygain scanner, masstagger, file properties dialog, ...), it's the cue sheet handler that rewrites the cue sheet.

Inventing something similir to APL for use with FLAC is not necessary; you can use APL with files of all type in foobar2000. IIRC you have to load the cue sheet into your playlist, select all of the entries (they have to be in the correct order), and choose "Write APL..." from the context menu.

Reply #9
Thanks for your response.

The cue sheet handler supports reading UTF-8 (as mentioned above), however it writes cue sheets in ANSI encoding for compatibility with other programs (this might change in 0.9). No matter what changed the metadata of a file (replaygain scanner, masstagger, file properties dialog, ...), it's the cue sheet handler that rewrites the cue sheet.

For maintaining compatibility with other programs I think the best behaviour is to save the cuesheet in ANSI if the cuesheet readed is ANSI, and to save in UTF-8 if the cuesheet original is UTF-8.

That way, the people using cuesheets that doesn't know what UTF-8 is, doesn't have to.
But the ones (like me), that uses UTF-8, always can convert back to ANSI if needed by other program like CDRWIN using simply Notepad =)

Something like
if(file.openmode == ANSI)
   file.savemode(ANSI);

if(file.openmode == UTF-8)
   file.savemode(UTF-8);

Note that in my example above of before and after a replaygain scan, the cuesheet handler however writes some strings in UTF-8 (the ones that hadn't changed I suppose).

Reply #10
This thread exactly touches the problem I am having with fb2k on cuesheet embedded FLAC files. I'd like to put accented characters in the title for some particular album but no matter what I do it seems not to be working.

Now if I convert the cuesheet to UTF-8 (how would I do that?) and then try to embed it again, would it work?

I wish there was an option to include/generate/understand non-standard unicode cuesheets at the expense of compatibility with other software.

Also I can't seem to alter individual track gain values using foobar. There's only albumgain associated to a FLAC file with embedded cuesheet.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #12
I wished I had realized this limitation to cuesheet handling in foobar2000 when I started my one-file-backup journey back in the day. Any hope for a remedy? A fair proportion of my CD's have at least one special character and some are in my native Icelandic.
Certainly if UTF8 write support is not added, at least developers could consider a warning dialogue when writing changes.
What happens to my cuesheets is that after the first instance of a special character the cuesheet is cut. I use FLACattack to write track information into the cuesheet and all or most of that information is lost when I edit it. Anyone have the same problem?

Reply #13
A reply by the developer (Peter?) would be appreciated.
Have a nice day