Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audio player software for UNIX (Read 5934 times) previous topic - next topic

Audio player software for UNIX

I'm thinking of installing Solaris 10 or NetBSD on a partition. What are my options as a music player on these platforms? It should probably be open sourced so that I can compile. I know of Rhythmbox and wxMusik, although neither are appealing because I dislike the iTunes-like interface. My requirements would be:
  • Good codec support: MPC, FLAC, APE with native tags is a must. Cuesheet support would be nice.
  • Lightweight and easy on system resources.
  • Replaygain support.
  • It would be nice to have plugins (DSP, Input, Output, etc.)
On Windows I like foobar2000, XMplay, WinAmp. Any player that is feature complete like one of them should do fine.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #2
edit: Then I think your only choice at the moment is Muine.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=284756"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dunno.... 9 years of Solaris & BSD with a few years of Linux have taught me that nothing truly replaces XMMS  Especially if you are used to WinAmp (its old name is x11amp).
I am not 100% sure about MPC because I've never checked, but I have yet to find a plugin it doesn't have.

Muine is quite good if you only listen to full albums. But it uses Mono -> forget about lightweight + Linux-only at the moment, IIRC.

Offtopic:
Quite apart from that, between Solaris 10 and NetBSD it's down to how much tweaking you want to do to get the system that fits you best, and hardware drivers. I like both anyway. NetBSD is more flexible out-of-the-box, but also less complete unless you do a little tweaking.

Edit: there is also a GTK2 port of XMMS, named beep-media-player.

Reply #3
Beep Media Player is quite ok, but it comes nowhere near foobar2000. Currently I'm trying lamip.

Reply #4
I am not 100% sure about MPC because I've never checked, but I have yet to find a plugin it doesn't have.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There's MPC plugs for XMMS and BMP, see [a href="http://musepack.net/index.php?pg=lin]here.[/url] Lamip has it. And GStreamer and I think it's on it's way to Xine if it's not integrated already. Several more *nix players might have MPC support by now, but I'm not sure...
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #6
Are the xmms/beep media plugins for mpc only for linux? It says libmusepack is required to run both of them and I imagine it's compiled for linux as well. So I'd be running the plugins through linux compatibility layer. Would this cause any trouble?
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #7
Are the xmms/beep media plugins for mpc only for linux? It says libmusepack is required to run both of them and I imagine it's compiled for linux as well. So I'd be running the plugins through linux compatibility layer. Would this cause any trouble?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=284853"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The sources should at least compile on FreeBSD now. How it is on NetBSD and Solaris I don't know.... Give it a shot and post Q.'s to the *.nix gurus if you get compiler errors.  Good luck! 
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #8
I've never seriously considered Muine because i never heard it got mpc support (my player is supposed to play all files, i don't want n applications to do one and the same thing), but i'll gladly give it a shoot. Actually it's not mentioned on its page. Or did i read too careless, once again?
(edit: i really did - no mpc in muine, see above.)

Main reason i upgraded from Warty to Hoary pre-release was I could try lamip. I don't regret it but that's not because of lamip is the holy grail POSIX audio player already - imho it is still some months away from being polished enough for daily use. I got lots of errors using the packages out of the rarewares repository. Yet that's why it's in unstable, I guess. What's the problem with it, btw? I do see progress but especially the interface could take way more work: Do they/you want helping hands? I'm not a coder myself but do sometimes meet one of that species.

I'm especially interested the ncurses interface as I got used to run cplay on tty2, except the time needed to switch the screen resolution its the most convenient interface i ever used. and the only problems for me are caused by its technical limits which lamip would address out of the box.

Reply #9
atici, I am sorry that I cannot help you in this regard - I am using xmms and rhythmbox on my Kanotix-system. I was also trying Lamip several weeks ago, but had some problem to get it working.
I wanted to ask you, if it would be possible that you give a short review of Solaris 10, provided that you opted for it?
that would be very nice, because it sounds very interesting - would also be very off-topic, though!

Reply #10
Main reason i upgraded from Warty to Hoary pre-release was I could try lamip. I don't regret it but that's not because of lamip is the holy grail POSIX audio player already - imho it is still some months away from being polished enough for daily use. I got lots of errors using the packages out of the rarewares repository. Yet that's why it's in unstable, I guess. What's the problem with it, btw? I do see progress but especially the interface could take way more work: Do they/you want helping hands? I'm not a coder myself but do sometimes meet one of that species.

I'm especially interested the ncurses interface as I got used to run cplay on tty2, except the time needed to switch the screen resolution its the most convenient interface i ever used. and the only problems for me are caused by its technical limits which lamip would address out of the box.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=284889"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hi!

I'm one of the lamip developers and I have read now from several people that have problems with lamip... The only thing I can say about that: Please talk to us! We have left several email-addresses in the source packages and you can also write into the forum or even better just visit us in the IRC at irc.freenode.net #lamip !

"Do they/you want helping hands?" Yes, of course!

Although we make progress every day  For myself I have just finished inputSHORTEN for .shn files... It also supports seeking tables (even external .skt). Before I have written inputALAC that uses that reverse engineered Apple Lossless decoder. (As far as I know, we are the first Open Source player that supports Apple Lossless files by now!).

Some of you complained about the interface... Well, the developer who writes the foobar-clone has made also progresses. And our main developer has successfully ported lamip to OS X! Well... For myself I wanted to write a ncurses-plugin... I will do that when I have finished working some things on the core and the effect api... For example I want to do an own effect plugin for the Replay Gain information... I don't like the way we are doing that by now. lamip is also gapless since a few months...

... and (some thing for the future) I want to do some channel mapper / mixer... You can decide then which channel will be mapped to which output channel and things like that...

We also need (well... especially I need  ) an output plugin for JACK!

So as you can see there is much to do and we could need some help! Everybody who is reporting bugs from his/her system is already helping a lot! We cannot solve bugs which don't appear on our systems 

so... I'm looking forward for some helpful replies!

regards
Marcus
regards
Marcus