Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to batch convert? (Read 10913 times) previous topic - next topic

How to batch convert?

How do you batch convert your lossless music collection to mp3 for portable devices? I want to convert my collections from wavpack to mp3 using Lame, and retaining the tags. Do I do this with a foobar component? a standalone tool? my own script?

Thanks.

How to batch convert?

Reply #1
Generally, as soon as its about many files and has to do with tags, transcoding and naming, then your most safe bet is that fb2k will be the easiest solution.

With fb2k, all you need is the CLI-encoder plugin, plus the usual commandline-versions of your favorite encoder. After that, you can encode FROM any supported format TO any format for which you do have a commandline encoder. If technically possible then fb2k usually preserves existing tags.

- Lyx

edit: if you encode to mp3 and want to use them on a portable, then make sure that the id3v2-plugin is installed and that tag-writing is set to use id3v1 and id3v2
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

How to batch convert?

Reply #2
I'm actually doing the same thing to my entire lossless collection, right now (hard-drive crashed, and the MP3s were on the lap-top - thank god for my trusty PII system, which had all the FLAC files on it!).

If you're on a *NIX system, it's really simple to just write a bash or perl script to do the whole thing for you (took me about 15-20 minutes).  The 'hard' part isn't converting the audio... you don't even need a script to do that! Just a really complicated one-liner at the command-prompt.

If you want my script to look at, I'll post it.

How to batch convert?

Reply #3
Thank you! I tried the CLI interface and I think that's just what I need. Is there a way to configure it to output the files in a directory structure?

\music.lossless\argist-album\some_lossless.file

I want to output to

\music.mp3\artist-album\somefile.mp3

basically following the same directory pattern. I think by default it will output everything to the directory I pick....

I seem to see more reports of HD crashes on this forum. maybe I need to get myself a raid configuration...  what do you do to backup your music? back it up to DVD? I also have lots of photos, same issue with backup...

Raymond

How to batch convert?

Reply #4
Well...

Since I own all of the CDs I have 'archived', it's not a real big deal if my FLAC archives are shot... I just need to rip all 150 of my CDs, again!

The flacs are just a 'convenience', for me - easier to browse through my flac collection then to find the EXACT track I want on an audio cd.

How to batch convert?

Reply #5
Generally, as soon as its about many files and has to do with tags, transcoding and naming, then your most safe bet is that fb2k will be the easiest solution.

With fb2k, all you need is the CLI-encoder plugin, plus the usual commandline-versions of your favorite encoder. After that, you can encode FROM any supported format TO any format for which you do have a commandline encoder. If technically possible then fb2k usually preserves existing tags.

- Lyx

edit: if you encode to mp3 and want to use them on a portable, then make sure that the id3v2-plugin is installed and that tag-writing is set to use id3v1 and id3v2
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=286529"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't do this if you intend to play your files on an Iriver IFP-Series 700 or 800.  They do not like vbr mp3s and id3v2 tags.

How to batch convert?

Reply #6
Thank you! I tried the CLI interface and I think that's just what I need. Is there a way to configure it to output the files in a directory structure?

\music.lossless\argist-album\some_lossless.file

I want to output to

\music.mp3\artist-album\somefile.mp3

basically following the same directory pattern. I think by default it will output everything to the directory I pick....
Raymond
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=286542"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If your files are tagged, you can generate directories from the tags. This is the string I use (and you can modify it to your needs):
Code: [Select]
$if2(%artist%,)\$if2(%album%,)\$if(%tracknumber%,$num(%tracknumber%,2),$num(%_diskwriter_index%,3)) - $if2(%title%,%_filename%)
Just put it in the "outpt file name formatting" and check "create directories" box.

If you want to copy just directories, you can use somethink like this:
Code: [Select]
$directory(%_path%,3)\$directory(%_path%,2)\$directory(%_path%,1)\$if(%tracknumber%,$num(%tracknumber%,2),$num(%_diskwriter_index%,2)) - $if2(%title%,%_filename%)
It creates directories names from the path and goes up by dir. levels. However there is a problem, if your dir. structure don't have the same number (of subdir.) So this is pretty limited and I would prefere the first way.
Is there a difference between yes and no?

How to batch convert?

Reply #7
About backup: Personally, i don't like backup-methods which rely on only a low amount (or even just a single) of "volumes". What do i mean with volumes? This:

Backup to 1hdd: 1 volume
Backup to 10 DVDs: 10 volumes

The thing is that if the unimaginable happens and your "in-use" version dies AND simultaneusly the backup, then you've instantly lost everything (this for example can happen when you reformat your hdd and need to recopy everything from your backup. And it DID happen to someone just a few weeks ago).

But if you would instead have used multiple volumes for your backup, then only a fraction would be lost if one DVD dies.

Generally, to be on the safe side, i can imagine two strategies:

* many backups: This means to always have at least two redundant backups instead of just one. Thats the convenient, perfect and *expensive* method. I.e. have a 2-hdd RAID-system plus an external HDD-backup which gets synced manually from time to time.

* multi-volume: only have one backup but distribute it over multiple volumes. Thats the less convenient, non-perfect, but cheap method. This means i.e. backuping on CDRs or DVDs. However, watch out for the media and cd-writer quality as well as your storage method, because otherwise lifetime of your backup may be too low.

- Lyx

How to batch convert?

Reply #8
Or...

Buy the CDs?

Hehe... then you have a rather large amount of volumes, AND you have your hdd 'working archive'.

How to batch convert?

Reply #9
Or...

Buy the CDs?

Hehe... then you have a rather large amount of volumes, AND you have your hdd 'working archive'.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=286687"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For your information, not all content which is not distributed on CDs is automatically illegal.

There's a good amount of netlabels, liveshows, radio-events etc. on the internet. How do i "buy those"? And what if a CD was only pressed on low numbers and is out of stock since years(not unusual with minor artists)? What about unreleased tracks? If one is interested in this stuff then it soon adds up to gigabytes.

- Lyx

How to batch convert?

Reply #10
I wasn't saying that ALL non-CD content was illegal... just most of it 

Although I'm not an 'expert' in this area, from my experience (which is limited to one of my buddies who is obsessed with Dave Matthews... and who regularly downloads FLACs of his live performances) this 'legal' audience is fairly limited - and most of them are concentrated at HA.

And because most of the artists I listen to don't tour anymore... and if they do, all of their new stuff is pretty weak.

(And because I beleive I am the only person in my entire apartment building that has bought a CD in the past two years)

How to batch convert?

Reply #11
I wasn't saying that ALL non-CD content was illegal... just most of it 

Although I'm not an 'expert' in this area, from my experience (which is limited to one of my buddies who is obsessed with Dave Matthews... and who regularly downloads FLACs of his live performances) this 'legal' audience is fairly limited - and most of them are concentrated at HA.

And because most of the artists I listen to don't tour anymore... and if they do, all of their new stuff is pretty weak.

(And because I beleive I am the only person in my entire apartment building that has bought a CD in the past two years)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=286733"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i'm not so sure "most" non CD content is illegal, all you have to do is head on over to etree or the live music archive where there are hundreds if not thousands of bands that allow and even encourage taping and sharing of their live performances. I have probably close to 10000  "non cd" performances and I would say that 80% of them are from bands who have no problem with me or anyone else having those recordings.....