Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Non standard genres in LAME (Read 9725 times) previous topic - next topic

Non standard genres in LAME

I'm just curious... is there any way not to get LAME to yell at me when I use a genre not listed in the genre list when using the ID3v2 tags without having to use a extra program (like wapet or TAG)?

Reply #1
You could use the --ignore-tag-errors switch.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #2
not as far as i know... it only saves genres as an index # even in id3v2, not as a text string.

Reply #3
not as far as i know... it only saves genres as an index # even in id3v2, not as a text string.

Yeah, you're right... Well, thanks for the help anyways.

Reply #4
Sorry, I got that from this post, and he said it worked fine. 

Lying little toerag...
I'm on a horse.

Reply #5
Sorry, I got that from this post, and he said it worked fine.  

Lying little toerag...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299365"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, I tried what you suggested on a simple wav file with the command line "--alt-preset standard --add-id3v2 --ignore-tag-errors --tg sadfas" and it didn't work.. maybe I did something wrong (you know.. typos do happen)? I'll try it now and check...

Nah, didn't work... but maybe it's because I'm not useing LAME 3.96.1? I'll try the file again using 3.96.1..

Well, it encoded this time, but I got this error: "Unknown genre: 'sadfas'.  Setting to 'Other'" So the genres are bound to standard names/numbers

Reply #6
Well, it encoded this time, but I got this error: "Unknown genre: 'sadfas'.  Setting to 'Other'" So the genres are bound to standard names/numbers

Yes, they are, as expected - but this solution will at least stop an error on an unknown genre (I would term the above a "warning" rather than an "error").

You either take the error, recognise that the genre is wrong and set it correctly, or use this switch and be happy for LAME to set unknown genres to "Other".  I guess if you let LAME set the genre to "Other" you could then regularly load all your new MP3s into foobar, find all those with "Other" as the genre, and then spend a little time manually setting them to a relevant, valid, genre.  At least you have the benefit of doing this en masse, at your own leisure.

Basically, using --ignore-tag-errors does answer your original question.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #7
This line works for what the purpose was; not for lame to choke on unknown genre definitions, but complete the encoding process when ripping/encoding with EAC.

All genres not defined in lame's predefined list are routed to "Other", but it doesn't stop the encoding from completing.

For more flexibility, use ape2 tags on the mp3's. This requires wapet.
Code: [Select]
%d -t "artist=%a" -t "title=%t" -t "album=%g" -t "year=%y" -t "track=%n" -t "genre=%m" -t "comment=Blah Blah" lame.exe --preset standard %s %d
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #8

Yes, they are, as expected - but this solution will at least stop an error on an unknown genre (I would term the above a "warning" rather than an "error").

You either take the error, recognise that the genre is wrong and set it correctly, or use this switch and be happy for LAME to set unknown genres to "Other".  I guess if you let LAME set the genre to "Other" you could then regularly load all your new MP3s into foobar, find all those with "Other" as the genre, and then spend a little time manually setting them to a relevant, valid, genre.  At least you have the benefit of doing this en masse, at your own leisure.

Basically, using --ignore-tag-errors does answer your original question.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299430"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The thing is though, I currently use LAME 3.90.3 and the "--ignore-tag-errors" switch doesn't even exist, so it does the usual open, print error, exit, giving me this:
"D:\Program Files\Exact Audio Copy\lame.exe: unrec option --ignore-tag-errors
Unknown genre: sadfas.  Specify genre name or number"
But I'm probably going to take your advice on using Foobar2k... Well, thanks for all of the help! ^.^

Reply #9
Yes. Sorry. I never tested this with 3.90.3, only 3.96.1...
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #10
I have a good feeling that using --id3v2-only instead of --add-id3v2 will do the trick. 
Hope you still can use this, since the topic is rather old...
lame -V 0

Reply #11
Whoops... I was so wrong...  I didn't read about LAME not working with tag genres as text string, but as index number of predefined genre...
Nevermind...
lame -V 0

Reply #12
I hate to resurrect such an old thread, but I was curious to know if any attention has been or will be given to this silly issue of LAME not wanting to use genres outside of the very limited list of ID3v1 compatible genres, even for ID3v2 tags. 

Has or will anyone ever patch LAME to work around this problem?