Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Smoking in the classroom (Read 14910 times) previous topic - next topic

Smoking in the classroom

What would you do if a teacher at your University/College smokes 10 cigs per class?. What would the University authorities and/or the responsible authority in that matter do?. What would be the legal/professional consequences for the teacher?.

I have this problem currently and it totally outrages me. The worse thing is nobody controls him. Nobody cares. Even some students started to smoke in class today (first time I´ve seen students smoking in class at this Univ.).
I´ve already written a letter to the Dean 6 days ago but nobody did nothing about it. I´m planning to talk to the Dean today if I can find him.

It is a norm, it is forbidden, it is written in every door.

I´m starting to think about carrying some water to the classroom to extinguish that fire. Seriously.

I´d like to hear your opinion / comment!

Dani.

Smoking in the classroom

Reply #1
lol, i got to a conservative christian college.  a student at my school would probably be fined and given community service hours for smoking in class...

as far as advice, i'd definately keep complaining.  if its posted that smoking is forbidden, insisist that if they dont make the professor stop, they need to remove all the postings and change their policy.  thats just absurd that they have a policy that the prof so blatently defies.
a windows-free, linux user since 1/31/06.

Smoking in the classroom

Reply #2
have you tried talking to the teacher himself?
often a personal approach is more effective and much more friendly bye the way than turning to authorities.
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Smoking in the classroom

Reply #3
Ive come across people who are scared of the smell of cigarette smoke. Its not realistic imbo. Unless the room is poorly ventillated -which would be a health hazard in itself, or smoke is wafting through someones personal space, the smoker isnt actualy harming anyone except themself.

There's a case for objection and persuasion for those offended or physicaly affected, but in balance of things, anyone who hops into a car and drives to the shops where they buy whatever which they make no effeort to enquire the source or production of - anyone routinely harms or puts others at risk more than a smoke addict pleasuring themself in impersonal range of others, but our routine behaviour is spared from popular outrage by the lack of information we are presented with about road death and consequences of our consumer lifestyles on others with no means to object.
no conscience > no custom

Smoking in the classroom

Reply #4
. Its not realistic imbo. Unless the room is poorly ventillated -which would be a health hazard in itself, or smoke is wafting through someones personal space, the smoker isnt actualy harming anyone except themself.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303052"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

HAHA! Pretty good for someone who named himself after breathing excercises.

There are plenty of studies on statistical hazards of second hand smoke.

Just for yucks, try to research why there is a no smoking policy.
1) Univ. gets a discount on fire insurance?
2) lower cleaning costs, less frequent painting, burn marks on the furniture?
3) Law (In the US some states ban smoking in all work places)

What constitutes "poorly ventilated" depends mostly no whether there is smoking in the room.

Smoking in the classroom

Reply #5
The problem with smoking is not that they smoke, is that they release the smoke back into the air. I don't mind them smoking, if they keep all the smoke into their lumbs. I really hate them make me a "pasive smoker". Hopefully a new all public places fobid is going to be approved in argentina.

Smoking in the classroom

Reply #6
HAHA! Pretty good for someone who named himself after breathing excercises.

Heh nice of you to notice, although Chigung is a very ancient method of Chi control and the most powerful Chinese masters are unintimidated, some even enjoy the occasional puff of smoke.
There are plenty of studies on statistical hazards of second hand smoke.

And many of them show that (naturaly) the associated risk from non-extreme exposure is so small as to be undetectable. This makes historical sense since smoke from different souces has been part of humans environment since antiquity.
How about the associated risk of car exhaust fumes? Of the worst of the bunch of the artificial foodstuffs we are served. Or the health effects of absorbing the hateful looks of irrate anti-smokers from the other side of the room 

-By all means complain, but dont be unrealistic about the offence.
Just for yucks, try to research why there is a no smoking policy.
1) Univ. gets a discount on fire insurance?
2) lower cleaning costs, less frequent painting, burn marks on the furniture?
3) Law (In the US some states ban smoking in all work places)

What constitutes "poorly ventilated" depends mostly no whether there is smoking in the room.

Not just that, poorly ventillated public air fills up with bacteria and virii - something which a little incense or hint of tobacco smoke could well help neutralise 

edit: i should add that I know too well, smoking is a difficult and dangerous vice and should be discouraged
- but if just the smell of it sickens you that is your misfortune.

Smoking in the classroom

Reply #7

Yep, here in brazil is the same thing, but if nobody enforces this law, people will smoke anyway. BUT they dont smoke inside the classroom, only at the corridors(still prohibited).

Smoking to me is like a someone walking with a loud stereo in his arms. If smoking was like walking with a discman, I wouldnt care.
Alguém pare o mundo que eu quero descer!!

Smoking in the classroom

Reply #8
Here in Italy a specific law punish people who smoke in public places ... it seems to work but in some places this bad trend continues
[ Commodore 64 Forever...! ]

Smoking in the classroom

Reply #9
"Smoking in the classroom, What would you do about it?"

...open the window. If there is no window, then the classroom-door. If there is not enough air-circulation, then both.

If anyone complains, then ask them what they would do in the same situation at home. If the teacher complains, tell him that there are some people who would certainly love to make a nice story of this :-P

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Smoking in the classroom

Reply #10
How about the associated risk of car exhaust fumes?

If someone were to drive a car into the classroom and leave the engine on, I would complain too.

I don't think health hazards are the primary concern when confronted with such a situation. Smoke stinks. Simple as that.

Smoking in the classroom

Reply #11
have you tried talking to the teacher himself?
often a personal approach is more effective and much more friendly bye the way than turning to authorities.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303033"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

At the end of the first class this semester, first time the guy had smoked, I talked to him. I told him the smoke was like ¨kryptonite¨ to me, that really made me sick. He told me he would open the door next time, but then I told him that if he needed to smoke he should get out of the classroom, smoke his cig and get back in after he finished it. He just said "ok, ok...".
Next class he didn´t smoke, but the class after this, he started again with 5 cigs minimum per class.
I decided to write to the Dean and now I´m definitely going to have an audience with him. I will not stop until an authority puts everything in its place. I wrote to a national authority in the matter, that told me is the Dean´s responsibility to control the fullfillment of the norm.

Yep, here in brazil is the same thing, but if nobody enforces this law, people will smoke anyway. BUT they dont smoke inside the classroom, only at the corridors(still prohibited).

Smoking to me is like a someone walking with a loud stereo in his arms. If smoking was like walking with a discman, I wouldnt care.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303212"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree with you about the stereo/walkman example. I won´t stop him if he wants to destroy his health, he can kill himself if he wants to, but don´t mess with my life, because that is my choice. And what he is doing by smoking in the classroom is choosing for me. It´s like he´s saying "today, at my class, you will breathe this because I want to do it, I don´t care if it bothers you or not".

A LOT of students smoke in the corridors here too. It is not forbidden (IMO it should be forbidden everywhere in the building of the University and in every other public building). Many students go out in the middle of the class to smoke. It´s terrible how this addiction planted roots in this country. It is something so natural to so many people (about 40% smokes)...they don´t realize they´re fucking up their lives. And they even have to pay to do it!!!. Ridiculous. But a choice I respect if they don´t mess with me.

How about the associated risk of car exhaust fumes?

If someone were to drive a car into the classroom and leave the engine on, I would complain too.

I don't think health hazards are the primary concern when confronted with such a situation. Smoke stinks. Simple as that.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303837"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Exactly!!! It isn´t only about the impact the smoke would make in my health over an extended period of time. IT STINKS, it makes my life worse, I don´t want that disgusting smell coming out of my mouth when I breathe. I don´t want to breathe that shit if I´m not supposed to in that place.
But that´s nothing....the really important reason to be mad about it´s that IT IS FORBIDDEN BY LAW.
What if I rob the teacher´s wallet? That is as forbidden as smoking in the classroom, but I´m sure he would do something about it. Why should I just try to open the door or window?.
He´s not going away with it, I don´t care if people looks at me like if I were a weirdo, somebody has to do something about it.

Thank god there is an anti-tobacco law project soon to be approved by congress, which is getting some attention from the media.
I wonder if it´ll be like every other law around here....really nice on paper, but non-existant when it comes to effective fullfillment in everyday life.

Smoking in the classroom

Reply #12
good for you megaman.  seriously, we need more people today that will stand up for themselves.
a windows-free, linux user since 1/31/06.

Smoking in the classroom

Reply #13
I've read about Canadian treatment towards smoking. Cigarette cases must have large space on the front side saved for pictures showing lungs damaged by smoking and such. This shocking anti-advertisement has huge success there. Should be everywhere.

In the EU many states are currently making new laws against smoking. In Germany, tobacco and cigarette taxes have been increased a lot in the last few years. Numbers of smoking youths decrease rapidly. Good news.
I know that I know nothing. But how can I then know that ?

Smoking in the classroom

Reply #14
I heard a story from my elder brother who went to the same secondary school that I went to, about a teacher who used to smoke in the cupboard - one of the students saw the smoke coming out and chucked a bucket of water over it and him, and there was nothing the teacher could do about it.

Smoking in the classroom

Reply #15
I heard a story from my elder brother who went to the same secondary school that I went to, about a teacher who used to smoke in the cupboard - one of the students saw the smoke coming out and chucked a bucket of water over it and him, and there was nothing the teacher could do about it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=304018"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

He deserved it.

The problem is, I don´t want to use non-respectful ways to stop the teacher from smoking, because that would make me a jerk too. But I go irrational when months pass and no authority does nothing about it. I´ve been even thinking of punch him in the nose, but obviously I won´t do that.

Last monday I talked to the director of our department and he said he was going to do something about it.  Today was the first class after that day, and the professor didn´t smoke a single cig (yahoo!!).

The bad thing is, a student near myself (an older fella, I mean over 50) lighted a cig in the middle of the class. That happens because the professor unbelievably said a few weeks ago that "during this class, it is allowed to smoke in the classroom". I immediately went far away from him.

I´ll have to talk with him if he or anyone else insists with this crappy unrespectful attitude. It is a crime!!!. Sometimes I want to steal the cig boxes from these people and jump over them until they are useless.
I definitely hate all those tobacco companies....can´t understand how governments allow them to sell that shit (I can from a greedy point of view, but can´t from an ethical  point of view).

BTW thanks VCSkier, you´re right, that´s the idea. What´s really hard is trying to stand up for yourself in a polite way.

Smoking in the classroom

Reply #16
Hey megaman, I like your "military" anti-smoking attitude..
Last monday I talked to the director of our department and he said he was going to do something about it.   Today was the first class after that day, and the professor didn´t smoke a single cig (yahoo!!).

'Cause you've already talked to him personnally, he might suspect that you put him into trouble and be displeased...
I definitely hate all those tobacco companies....can´t understand how governments allow them to sell that shit (I can from a greedy point of view, but can´t from an ethical  point of view).

A government's first priority is always the money, ethics are way below. They earn a lot from cig taxes.
I know that I know nothing. But how can I then know that ?

Smoking in the classroom

Reply #17
Hey megaman, I like your "military" anti-smoking attitude..
'Cause you've already talked to him personnally, he might suspect that you put him into trouble and be displeased...
A government's first priority is always the money, ethics are way below. They earn a lot from cig taxes.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305044"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

He might be displeased, I don´t give a damn. He doesn´t have any real good reason to be displeased because HE is the one that was breaking the law, not me. I´m quite good at this signature because I studied electronics engineering for a few years (got half the career done) but I dropped. This is just a basic electrotechnical course for industrial engineering. So even if he wants to make the exam harder because of this, I can pass it.

I don´t notice any displeasure anyway, he says hi and smiles every time we see each other at the University. Other than his nasty smoking vice, the guy has a good attitude. Tolerable at least.

It is somewhat ironical because governments spend a lot of money (well maybe a little compared with those cig taxes) implementing anti-tobacco campaigns.
IMO smoking should be considered a lot worse than sniffing cocaine, taking heroin, etc from this point of view (i mean from the POV of people near the consumer). I really wouldn´t care if someone sniffs cocaine in front of me. Not that coke is any good...but at least it doesn´t directly bother me unless the guy were driving a car or working with hazardous equipment, etc. It´s like alcohol...

BTW I don´t consider my attitude as "military". I consider it normal, I mean, the attitude of someone who wants to be respected. Anyway it is a funny way to say it.

Smoking in the classroom

Reply #18
I haven't answered before, but I strongly disagree with you, ChiGung.

edit: i should add that I know too well, smoking is a difficult and dangerous vice and should be discouraged
- but if just the smell of it sickens you that is your misfortune.

If I breathe tobacco smoke in a place where smoking is forbidden, it is not my misfortune but a crime commited by the smoker. It doesn't matter if I enjoy or hate the smoke, it is a crime. Maybe if I wouldn't care about it I wouldn't do anything, but I DO care and in fact I do care A LOT about this. Anyway, no one who considers himself a good citizen should allow someone to commit a crime if he can stop him from doing it without putting his life at risk.
For that matter there are people who makes a living by putting their lives at risk, they're called police, military, etc.

It is indeed my misfortune that smoke sickens me whenever I go to any place where smoking isn't forbidden, but I never complain about it. I just try not to attend those places.
A Metallica gig comes to mind. Loads of people smoking marihuana. But hey, Metallica is worth the sacrifice, at least once!. 

.....Or the health effects of absorbing the hateful looks of irrate anti-smokers from the other side of the room

Many smokers act as if we, people who don't smoke and don't like smoke, were abnormal or anti-smokers or something like that. I remind you that smoking is not a natural habit of the human species, but a vice that people get into by induction (your friends do it, so you do it to be "cool" as they are, or you just begin because you think it will enhance your personality, maybe you just want to be as cool as that guy smoking Camel, driving his ATV around picking up blondes, or some other bullshit argument).
The fact is, we are normal people. We aren't "non-smokers", "anti-smokers" or "smoke-haters", but you are smokers. Because you have chosen to be different in that matter.

I don't care if you want to smoke at your house or any other private place, as I don't care if you want to take coke or smoke marihuana or get drunk. I just care about my rights according to the law. That is, breathing smoke-free air in every public building, driving on a road with no alcoholized drivers, etc.

About the legality of tobacco, I think if it's legal to sell tobacco it should be legal to sell any other kind of drugs. But it is forbidden to sell coke, heroin, marihuana, etc., so why not to prohibit tobacco?. Tobacco kills as well as any of those other drugs. Maybe in a slower way, but it definitely kills people. And makes their lives a lot worse in the process.

.....but our routine behaviour is spared from popular outrage by the lack of information we are presented with about road death and consequences of our consumer lifestyles on others with no means to object."

About road death...well if you get into a car you know there's a probability that you might get killed, nobody forces you to get into the car. I do not own a car, rarely travel by car but by bus. When I get into the bus, I accept the risk of death because doing so will allow to make my life better it other aspects. Anyway the probability of dying in a bus accident is a lot lower than probability of dying because of smoking habit. And the probability of having a worse life if you smoke is 1 (that is, you will smell like shit, you will breathe clumsily, you will get tired faster, etc, that is a rule for all smokers).

Consumer lifestyle is actually a huge problem, with many nasty consequences (even wars, as we've seen lately). Mainly in the USA and most european countries (not to mention Japan and the immense China), wealthy people are not conscious of the huge damage to the planet they are producing. People and governments should think very seriously about this before it's too late.

Smoking in the classroom

Reply #19
I haven't answered before, but I strongly disagree with you, ChiGung.
..I remind you that smoking is not a natural habit of the human species, but a vice that people get into by induction (your friends do it, so you do it to be....

Cavemen were the first smokers, it is about as natural as firemaking, eating fermented fruit, and dancing around funny statues in drag.
Frankly my first cigarette was an epiphany, people are affected differently but I took up smoking because I was effected very pleasantly by it, not because I was brainwashed or 'inducted'. It is a bad thing to let out of control, and difficult to control especialy in troubling circumstances, and for these reasons combined -unadvisable. However, my smoking and my physical health are both well minded and attended to by myself TVM.
The fact is, we are normal people. We aren't "non-smokers", "anti-smokers" or "smoke-haters", but you are smokers. Because you have chosen to be different in that matter.

Do you eat meat? because I dont eat any -except the pets of other meat eaters who try to alienate me. Does that sound fair mate? In the UK, it is legal to kill your neighbours cat, 'see cats are not included in the list of animals you shouldnt kill. "quote:it is the law" so there can be no reasonable objection to such a petatarian meat eating policy can there?

(Only joking) I do eat some meat even occasionaly 'KFC' - now that's a vice!
Anyway the probability of dying in a bus accident is a lot lower than probability of dying because of smoking habit. And the probability of having a worse life if you smoke is 1

The probability of personal V-Pod ownership churning out vastly more noxiousness, creating more rubbish, health problems and disturbing hundreds of people every journey in wide equal measure eclipses smoking from afar. It dwarfs the solemn smokers foibles, who just wants to spark up a tiny fistful of leaves.
Vpod ownership is admired and encouraged, with expensive corridors endlessly being constructed and wars insiduously motivated to resource the self assured "clean living" vpod users addiction to driving. Diminutive leaf puffers are exiled to the sides of a car parks and fire escapes. Once the neo-saintly clean ones finnish with Smoking it'll be Drinking and eventualy there will even be no more unlicenced Sex.
They will live in immaculate tranquil surroundings and me and the rest of imperfect humanity in our unlegislatable slums will suffer their rubbish, their power fumes, prosecutions, remorseless greed and hypocrisy.

(that is, you will smell like shit,
Smoking doesnt smell like shit, it smells like burned weeds, you can have a prejudice towards it but you needn't. I hate the smell of air fresheners and perfumed cleaning products - thats my tough luck, although these canisters of 'cheap' synthetic niceness mess up my planet more than a few smouldering herbs.
you will breathe clumsily, you will get tired faster, etc, that is a rule for all smokers).

You are being absolutist. I know some very fit smokers and very unfit nonsmokers, old smokers and drinkers with vigorous healthy lifestyles, young nonsmokers with squeemish sickly avoidances, respectable businessmen addicted to capital, impoverished junkies addicted to cheap crops that badasses benefit from prohibiting, and every kind of person in between.

After everyones let off their own frustrations, large and small, wise or foolish - facilitating your aquaintances wish to have a smoke where tolerable, is just a matter of hospitality.

'slainte

Smoking in the classroom

Reply #20
Chigung, the problem is that i cant breath when someone is smoking. So, if i like to fart to everyone else to feel it, do you have to accept? Its "natural" too, but infests the air I breath as cigarretes do. I have no problem with people smoking, everyone in this planet decides what is best to do within themselves, the problem is that your habits cant let me use my oxygen.

I tried some cigarretes and i was young, but they are terrible at first. So, i didnt want to vicious myself. But i do believe that you have good sensations when smoking, as someone have when drinking, and such. My main concern is about the air I breath.

AFAIK, they made a kind of new cigar that solves this "air" problem, i have to check that information though.
Alguém pare o mundo que eu quero descer!!

Smoking in the classroom

Reply #21
Chigung, the problem is that i cant breath when someone is smoking. So, if i like to fart to everyone else to feel it, do you have to accept? Its "natural" too, but infests the air I breath as cigarretes do. I have no problem with people smoking, everyone in this planet decides what is best to do within themselves, the problem is that your habits cant let me use my oxygen.

This is a question of degree and freedom to choose. I dont like very smoky places myself and avoid them, but I dont want to criminalise the occupants (unless they are holding people in there captive). I dont mind having some public spaces completely smoke free either, routine smoking is only dull and sickly and I could do without the encouragement.
Just dont over react. Smoke is harmful to smokers, and to a lesser extent harmful to people unlucky enough to find themselves in rooms for large parts of their lives with heavy smokers but the sight of it, smell and occasional waft of it, is as natural and harmless as a fart,    .....only less amusing. 
Car useage and pointless consumption of industrial chemicals is easily observable to be harmful to everyone, especialy the most vulnerable in world. So that would be my target for action.

AFAIK, they made a kind of new cigar that solves this "air" problem, i have to check that information though.

Maybe little 'startrek' ciggies with an LED on the end, I do remember playing with 'sweetie cigarettes' when I was a kid. eh, it would be alright to ban those I think

Smoking in the classroom

Reply #22
Chigung, your english is kind of high for my understanding (I´m not being ironic, it´s the plain truth). I´d need the company of my good friend Babylon, don´t have it with me right now.

I don´t know, you´re maybe going too far with your imagination (V-Pod?). Your words reminded me of this movie....with Stallone and Sandra Bullock. All that clean asexual people.

We are not talking about that here. Because sex is good for health, and even if it weren´t, I wouldn´t care because I wouldn´t be there when people makes it.

A few years ago, I didn´t eat cow meat for a period of 2 years. I felt great.
I do eat it now sometimes, although fish is a lot better.

About pet eating, I don´t know, there are a lot of things that aren´t controlled by laws. For example taking a piss in the front of a house. Or in the middle of a busy avenue. Because those kind of behaviors are ruled by common sense.

Smoking in the classroom

Reply #23
I want to get back to this: "I have this problem currently and it totally outrages me."  Seems to me that the problem is your ego.  The health chatter is a smokescreen.  Let's be pragmatic: he has the gradebook and can hurt you.  Swallow your pride, park your ego, give up the self-serving chatter about the evils of tobacco and the righteousness of your cause.  Just ease through it, get the grade and go on with your life.  You may be able to punish the prof but in the long run the chances are you will be hurt more.  You will have the satisfaction of "being right" but may also have that lingering doubt about why you got such a low grade.  It is not that important.

Think about it.   
Nov schmoz kapop.

Smoking in the classroom

Reply #24
Mmm you got it wrong boojum.
My ego has nothing to do with it.

I don´t give a damn about the gradebook, nobody will go over my rights even if he were the King of England, not because of my ego, but because the law says it.
If we don´t respect the laws inside a University, where are they supposed to be respected?.

FYI health is a lot more important to me than any degree.

Many people said this same thing to me (not the ego stuff but "don´t do it, he´ll take revenge with the grades").

Today was the second smoke-free class and I really enjoyed it. I like to attend to classes even if I´ve studied this stuff in the past. Apart from the vice the prof. no longer shares with us (he replaced it with candies), he is a nice guy, even funny. Quite eccentric I´d say.

I talk with the prof. often and there is not the smallest sign of hate or anything. I believe that if I get a low grade it´ll be because of my fault only.