Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar not reading ID3v2 tags? (Read 7327 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar not reading ID3v2 tags?

I have my songs labeled correctly as ID3v2.  I just nuked my database and rescanned it.  I reloaded the info from files, and it still won't read my ID3v2 tags.  I have the ID3v2 plugin install and I have foobar set to read and write ID3v2 tags only.  Does anyone know what the problem might be?  Any help is appreciated.

Reply #1
Try reloaded Database info from files?

Reply #2
Try reloaded Database info from files?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303332"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

UPDATE: It appears that my database is not getting "nuked" as when I click scan after nuking and rebooting, it only takes about three seconds to add everything again.  I have  tried deleting the database.foo file as well.  Nothing seems to work.

Reply #3
I think it might be because you still have a playlist loaded....check your playlist switcher.    You might need to delete the "Database View" playlist.  That might be your problem.

Reply #4
I think it might be because you still have a playlist loaded....check your playlist switcher.    You might need to delete the "Database View" playlist.  That might be your problem.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303349"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok I'm definitly doing something wrong.  I just uninstalled foobar, deleted the folder, and tried to rescan the database after a fresh install, and it still only scanned for 2 seconds and maybe scanned 2 files.  Any other suggestions?

UPDATE: I just tried disableing the ID3v1 tags in Winamp, deleting the tracks from the playlist and then added the tracks back.  No difference.

UPDATE 2:  I just edited a tag in foobar, and it wrote ID3v2 its just not reading ID3v2, the tags were labeled before with APEv2 and ID3v1 before, and the APEv2 tags might still be there, any chance of removing them if they are?

UPDATE 3:  I just removed all tags from the files using MP3tag, nuked the database, deleted all playlists, and put the files back into foobar, AND THEY STILL HAVE THEIR WRONG ID3v1 TAGS!!

Alright, where does foobar store its database?  I swear when I freshly reinstall foobar, it still there.  I delete the foobar folder, so I believe that foobar stores its database elsewhere.

Reply #5
Do you have user profile support enabled?  ("Preferences->Core" in 0.8.3)

If so, the database and all your playlists, etc. are stored in your common documents folder.  On a default WinXP installation, that's "C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data".

Reply #7
Hmm. Have you used mp3gain on your files recently?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303592"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, yes I have.  Do you have an idea?

EDIT: No, I don't have user profile support enabled.

Reply #8
You can't force foobar2000 to only read ID3v2. If it finds APEv2 first, then it uses that instead, so any APEv2 tags will mask out the ID3v2. mp3gain adds undo information in APEv2, so it can cause problems with foobar2000.

There are several solutions to this. If you aren't afraid of using the commandline, you can use Case's Tag to merge tag info from ID3v2 and APEv2 and write that as APEv2.

Something similar to the following might work. Try it out on some test files first, and read Tag's documentation or search on the forums for definitive information.

tag --remove --force apev2 foo.mp3

Another way out is to tell mp3gain to not store undo information, and then removing the undo information from the MP3 files. The following link describes the process. (Different situation, same solution.)

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/faq.php#tagprobs

edit: edited for clarity

Reply #9
You can't force foobar2000 to only read ID3v2. If it finds APEv2 first, then it uses that instead. mp3gain adds undo information in APEv2, so any APEv2 tags will mask out the ID3v2.

There are several solutions to this. If you aren't afraid of using the commandline, you can use Case's Tag to merge tag info from ID3v2 and APEv2 and write that as APEv2.

Something similar to the following might work. Try it out on some test files first, and read Tag's documentation or search on the forums for definitive information.

tag --remove --force apev2 foo.mp3

Another way out is to tell mp3gain to not store undo information, and then removing the undo information from the MP3 files. The following link describes the process. (Different situation, same solution.)

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/faq.php#tagprobs
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303595"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the help.
Looking at foobar's standard input options, I don't see an option to use ID3v2 and APEv2, is this possible?

Reply #11

Another option is to use TagScanner (freeware), which is what I use to keep ID3v2 and APEv2 tags syncronised.

If you install it, the top right on the window has two list boxes. The left one tells TagScanner which tag to read from when it loads files, the other one, which tags to write to when it writes. You can opt to have all tags written in one go when you save changes (from memory by selecting APE in the right list box, or there might be an ALL option), avoiding the need to synchronise.

A handy feature and one that I've not found on other (free) taggers, not even the almighty Godfather.

Hope this helps.

Reply #12
How can I read non-unicode IDv2 tags with 0.9b5?

Reply #13
How can I read non-unicode IDv2 tags with 0.9b5?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=314172"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There was a thread discussing this a few days ago.  IIRC you cannot read them in .9.

Reply #14
You can't force foobar2000 to only read ID3v2. If it finds APEv2 first, then it uses that instead, so any APEv2 tags will mask out the ID3v2.

[...]

I have about got 15k files in my mp3 archive and i really do not want to remove the APEv2 tag in all of them. So isnt there a way to make foobar "ignore" the APEv2 tag???

Reply #15
I have about got 15k files in my mp3 archive and i really do not want to remove the APEv2 tag in all of them. So isnt there a way to make foobar "ignore" the APEv2 tag???
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327742"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Did you try foobar2000 0.9 beta? Afaik the tag handling is a bit different there (and it has native id3v2 support).

Reply #16
Yes, i already tried this beta... But there were some features missing so i switched back to v0.8.3

Isnt there a plugin to enable the native id3v2 support??

Reply #17
No. That's why it's called native; it's enabled by default.

If you just want ID3v2, use 0.9 beta to rewrite tags in ID3v2, merging all tags, then use 0.8.3.