Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: c't reviews new Creative X-Fi soundcards ... (Read 5876 times) previous topic - next topic

c't reviews new Creative X-Fi soundcards ...

Hey folks ...

The german PC magazine 'ct reviewed the new generation of Creative X-Fi sound cards ...

Since there has been a lot of creative-bash lately, I just want to inform you that these card's specs do look really good - quality-wise, that is. The basic model's (X-Fi Xtreme Music) playback SNR (A-weighted) shows 110 dB with 0,001% THD-N (record-playback loopback over line jacks is 95 dB with 0,024% THD-N), whereas the top model's (X-Fi Elite Pro, 350€) shows an even higher loopback SNR of 100 dB with a THD of 0,002% ... and surprisingly low ASIO latencies within Cubase SX3.

Additionally, it seems that creative finally has managed to allow internal 48 kHz resampling to be switched off ... the card's driver (I fear it is still bloatware) allows users to operate the card in three basic 'modes'

1) gaming

2) entertainment

3) audio creation

If I got the article right, mode "3" will switch off any internal signal processing to allow bit-true output up to (tested) 96/24 which is should be very interesting for recording freaks like me.

24-bit upscaling (the 'crystalizer') is available in all 3 modes ...

There will be 4 models available ...

X-Fi Xtreme Music (130€)

X-Fi Platinum (200€, front module, remote control)

X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS (1337 h4x0r)  (250€, front module, remote control, 64MB X-RAM)

X-Fi Elite Pro (350€, external I/O module for instruments, phono MM, SPDIF opt/coax etc, remote control, 64MB X-RAM, Burr-Brown ADC's)

The pricing range seems a bit high for me (especially when being compared with most Envy24(HT)-based cards ... but at least, creative put their stuff right this time and is - so it seems to me - finally able to satisfy gamers, serious music listeners and semi-professional home-recording musicians with their new line of soundcards.
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #1
Seems like very good value like the E-MUs. I can't imagine they would be great for home recording - doesn't make sense to have very good quality inputs given the target audience.

Reply #2
Seems like very good value like the E-MUs. I can't imagine they would be great for home recording - doesn't make sense to have very good quality inputs given the target audience.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325051"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My guess is that the X-Fi Elite Pro doesn't target hardcore gamers only ... the card features a high-impedance instrument input (6,3mm), a built-in phono preamp (MM), high-quality ADC's (Burr-Brown is known for their good quality), low SNR's/high dynamics and low ASIO latencies ... the built-in DSP chip with 50+ million transistors can be interesting for recording, too.

Maybe they plan to switch some market share from E-Mu to Creative ...

Reply #4
I'll probably get the entry level model.

I don't really care about their crystallizer BS, but the X-Fi cards do look like they have some amazing firepower behind them. Anything has to be better than my onboard sound and even the entry level X-Fi card should add better sound and save a few FPS in gaming.
</signature>

Reply #5

My guess is that the X-Fi Elite Pro doesn't target hardcore gamers only ... the card features a high-impedance instrument input (6,3mm), a built-in phono preamp (MM), high-quality ADC's (Burr-Brown is known for their good quality), low SNR's/high dynamics and low ASIO latencies ... the built-in DSP chip with 50+ million transistors can be interesting for recording, too.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325104"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A fine thing if that's so - but can it really compete with the E-MU 1820 or 1820m in features and quality? They are slightly more expensive of course. I think the E-MUs have hardware DSP too, but I can't see how recording or playback need it since the CPU is rather competent at digital processing.

Reply #6

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325104"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A fine thing if that's so - but can it really compete with the E-MU 1820 or 1820m in features and quality? They are slightly more expensive of course. I think the E-MUs have hardware DSP too, but I can't see how recording or playback need it since the CPU is rather competent at digital processing.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325206"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

DSP's can help with complex effects during sequencer sessions ... many (semi-)professional musicians use special DSP PCI cards via ASIO (e.g. UAD-1) instead of DirectX or VST effects just to keep load from the CPU ... and since the X-Fi DSP seems to be very powerful, you could just use it for these types of work ... if there do exist effect libraries that can be adressed via a sequencer.