Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: *gain... (Read 6848 times) previous topic - next topic

*gain...

I just replaygained an album of mpc's using the --auto switch and it works and sounds great.  However, the mpc's are painfully less loud than my other mp3's.

Would I be able to use mp3gain on my mp3s to get them at or near the same loudness as my mpc's?

*gain...

Reply #1
If you set the volume in MP3Gain to 89dB they should be equal in loudness. Maybe you don't have the correct settings in your MPC Winamp plugin, control if Album Gain is enabled, and try to set the headroom to K-14.

*gain...

Reply #2
I'm pretty sure I have the correct decoder settings.  I will double check when I get home.  I'm also using 0.96 if that makes any difference.

*gain...

Reply #3
they'll be at the same loudness if you do as mr. bicking said. that is, mp3gain your mp3s to 89db (which is the default anyway), and then change the headroom to K-14 in the MPC decoder settings. but yeah, if you just set the headroom-level and don't mp3gain your mp3s, then you'll have some problems...

*gain...

Reply #4
K, thanks guys.  One more thing, where can I get the latest version of mp3gain?

*gain...

Reply #6
I'm pretty sure I have the correct decoder settings.  I will double check when I get home.  I'm also using 0.96 if that makes any difference.

i think you should update to v0.97f, this is the recommended version ATM.

greets.

*gain...

Reply #7
i think you should update to v0.97f, this is the recommended version ATM.

Ok excellent.

*gain...

Reply #8
does  the settings made to my files with mp3gain work when they are on a mp3 cd player?

*gain...

Reply #9
Yes.

*gain...

Reply #10
Hi.
I'm new to this forum ...

I download MP3Gain to normalize my files and I read it uses a specific ID3V2 field to set the right volume level.
In this way I can play mp3s on my pc and listen all of them with the same volume.
But what if I need to normalize files to be recorded on a CD I want to play in my mp3 car stereo which support only ID3V1 tag? Is there a way to really change the volume level in mp3s so that also a player supporting only ID3V1 tag can play them with the same volume level? Maybe something that, after having processed files with MP3Gain, could change the file accordingly to the value MP3Gain decided.

Thanks

*gain...

Reply #11
I download MP3Gain to normalize my files and I read it uses a specific ID3V2 field to set the right volume level.

No, it changes the MP3 data itself.

*gain...

Reply #12

No, you confused some things. MP3Gain adjusts the global gain fields of each MP3. That works in any MP3 player. For a future version, it is planned to store the gain value in an ID3 tag, but not for a player to change playback loudness according to the tag. It's for reconstruction of the original loudness via an MP3Gain "Undo" function.

*gain...

Reply #13

No, you confused some things. MP3Gain adjusts the global gain fields of each MP3. That works in any MP3 player. For a future version, it is planned to store the gain value in an ID3 tag, but not for a player to change playback loudness according to the tag. It's for reconstruction of the original loudness via an MP3Gain "Undo" function.

Does it mean that the mp3-data is irreversibely changed? I mean: is the mp3data exactly the same when I change the gain to its former value. (sorry, I was too lazy to search through the board to look if this already was asked (i'm sure it was ))
I love the moderators.

*gain...

Reply #14
if you add -1.5 db to an mp3 then add +1.5db the file will be byte per byte the same as the original.
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

*gain...

Reply #15
Does it mean that the mp3-data is irreversibely changed?

No. If you apply mp3gain with x*1.5dB it's completely reversible by applying -x*1.5dB.
I mean: is the mp3data exactly the same when I change the gain to its former value. (sorry, I was too lazy to search through the board to look if this already was sked (i'm sure it was ))

Yes. If you know the former value ...

[EDIT]
  too slow again
[/EDIT]
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

*gain...

Reply #16
/\/ephaestous, tigre: How did you both think of using 1.5 dB in your examples?!?

*gain...

Reply #17
The minimum granularity of mp3gain is 1.5dB because of the way the MP3 format is structured.

*gain...

Reply #18

Will MP3Gain no longer change the global gain of mp3s in the following versions,
in other words, will the new "tag mode" (which will enable undo) replace the
previous method, or co-exist with it? Since I only use MP3Gain for normalising
before decoding and burning, I'm pretty much satisfied with the way it works right now...
Wanna buy a monkey?

*gain...

Reply #19
Will MP3Gain no longer change the global gain of mp3s in the following versions,
in other words, will the new "tag mode" (which will enable undo) replace the
previous method, or co-exist with it?

As mentioned before, the tag will only be used for the undo function or for displaying the volume change. To keep MP3gain fully compatible with each and every MP3 player, it will continue to directly modify the MP3s.

*gain...

Reply #20
If I understood correctly what Glen said some time ago, there will actually be an option to use APEv2 tags in the same fashion that foobar2000 does, which is pretty cool.

*gain...

Reply #21
I think the future versions of mp3gain will also allow you to change the global gain in multiples of 1.5 dB and adjust any APEv2 tags already applied by foobar2000 accordingly.

E.g. Original MP3 track is at 94.3 dB and album is at 91.2 dB. Target volume = 89.0 dB by default.
• foobar2000 tags show TrackGain = -5.3 dB, AlbumGain = -2.2 dB

Then, if you choose to apply AlbumGain to the whole album to match the other albums on your hardware MP3 player or MP3 CD-R at 89 dB, mp3gain will apply -1.5 dB gain (the nearest it can get to -2.2 dB, and sounds almost exactly the same) and it will also subtract that adjustment from the gain values in the APEv2 tag (and maybe even update the foobar2000 database?). The new values will be TrackGain = -3.8 dB, AlbumGain = -0.7 dB (and the peak values will be adjusted too). In addition, I'd hope that future mp3gain releases will write (or amend) an extra tag, perhaps called MP3GAIN_APPLIEDGAIN=-1.50 dB to enable undo of the permanent change.